Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Urban's retiring after the Rose Bowl. Day will take over
    Last edited by bronconick; 12-04-2018, 07:24 AM.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Wut?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So what does a non-Power5 team have to do to earn a spot in the playoff? I'm curious. What would UCF have to do to put themselves in this year? Their position is the same for just about every non-Power5 team... Create a roadmap for me...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

In a four team system? Every Power 5 team with 2+ losses. Maybe. In a playoff where at least one Power 5 conference misses every year there is never going to be any sympathy for UCF, Boise State, Houston, or whoever. They'll be told to enjoy the NY6 paycheck or go back to the Corporate Name bowl.
          Last edited by bronconick; 12-04-2018, 08:37 AM.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            So what does a non-Power5 team have to do to earn a spot in the playoff? I'm curious. What would UCF have to do to put themselves in this year? Their position is the same for just about every non-Power5 team... Create a roadmap for me...
            First, they have to hope that ND doesn't go undefeated. Since they take out teams like OSU or Georgia (depending on your argument) for the 4th spot.

Then it would help to play some stronger teams. Which is what Bozo State did for a few years, but that didn't turn out well, and everyone forgot them thanks to those losses.

But it's the latter that is most important- it's not as if the strong teams really don't ever play them. Georgia, MSU, Washington, WSU, Old Miss have all played, and in the years they won those big games, they lost in their conference, and in other years, they lost those games.

To say that UCF can't play the big teams is not true. BSU does, and have had mixed results, and have never been able to put together the huge seasons that most expected.

When UCF does that, and still runs the table, then we can talk again.

Comment

While UCF has won bowl games against Georgia, Baylor and Auburn (no idea the quality of those teams in those seasons) they've also lost bowl games to Nevada, Rutgers, NC State and Arkansas State. There is nothing in that resume that screams to me they have earned a spot at the table.

As far as being "scared" should Bama have been more scared to play UCF than Louisville (yes Louisville sucked this year but...)? Scarier than Texas A&M or SC (Clemson opponents)? Notre Dame played UMi, Stanford, VT, NW and Syracuse. OU didn't really play anyone NC but still this claim the big boys are afraid of them is proven by what?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                OU didn't really play anyone NC but still this claim the big boys are afraid of them is proven by what?
                Alabama would rather play the Citadel 3/4's of the way through the season. They played some other nobody at a similar time last year, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  While UCF has won bowl games against Georgia, Baylor and Auburn (no idea the quality of those teams in those seasons)
                  UCF's win against Auburn came last year. I suspect the 2017 Auburn football team was ok. It beat Alabama (national champs that year) and Georgia (runner-up in the national championship game). Going into the SEC championship game I think they were ranked #2 in the college football playoff rankings. Auburn's three losses (other than to UCF) were to Clemson (who entered the playoffs as the #1 seed), Georgia in a rematch in the SEC title game, and at LSU, a notoriously difficult place to play.

UCF's win against Baylor came in the 2013 season, which wikipedia at least describes as "arguably the best in Baylor's history." They were ranked as high as #3 in the country that year. It included a record 11 wins and their first Big 12 championship. Other than UCF, their only loss that year was at #11 Oklahoma State.

Their win against Georgia came in 2010, when frankly UCF was the favored team against a rather average Georgia squad.

So, all in all, UCF acquitted itself quite well against legit competition in those games.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So what y'all are saying is that there is absolutely no way UCF is making the playoff.

**shrug**

That's the problem.... You guys are admitting that FBS is 130 teams, but the playoff is only open to 65 of those teams. There is no way the "Elite" power-5 teams touch a team like UCF or Boise. And this is before we chat about "Home and Home" arrangements. So they schedule a "2nd tier" Power-5 team. And then they discredit that team when they beat them (see Pitt this year). It's a circular argument that the non-Power5 teams can never win.

The only hope I can see is that a team like UCF schedules a team like Kentucky to start the season and beat them. Kentucky the goes ape poopy running through the SEC, going undefeated in the SEC all the way to the title game. And even then, I'm sure Kentucky will be placed ahead of UCF because "They played the harder conference schedule".

Just call it a "Power-5 Champion" and be done with it....

Edit: This applies to any and all small conference teams. The system is against them in all facets.
                    Last edited by RaceBoarder; 12-04-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I couldn't care less about UCF not being in. I don’t need to watch them play Alabama with a backup QB. Would much rather see Kyler Murray against Tua.

Comment

So what y'all are saying is that there is absolutely no way UCF is making the playoff.
                        Rightfully so.

Thanks

Comment

**shrug**

That's the problem.... You guys are admitting that FBS is 130 teams, but the playoff is only open to 65 of those teams. There is no way the "Elite" power-5 teams touch a team like UCF or Boise. And this is before we chat about "Home and Home" arrangements. So they schedule a "2nd tier" Power-5 team. And then they discredit that team when they beat them (see Pitt this year). It's a circular argument that the non-Power5 teams can never win.

The only hope I can see is that a team like UCF schedules a team like Kentucky to start the season and beat them. Kentucky the goes ape poopy running through the SEC, going undefeated in the SEC all the way to the title game. And even then, I'm sure Kentucky will be placed ahead of UCF because "They played the harder conference schedule".

Just call it a "Power-5 Champion" and be done with it....

Edit: This applies to any and all small conference teams. The system is against them in all facets.
                          UCF saw what BSU really did, when they were tasked with the same requirements. They can do the exact same thing. Bozo State STILL schedules games against PAC12 teams- very regularly. So UCF can do the same with all of the Florida and Georgia schools.

Or they can join the ACC. Which would be a great fit.

The system has always biased the bigger teams. That's how it works. Moreso now that ESPN is running the show- as it's more money for them.

Ironic that ESPN's corporate overlord is in Orlando with Disney, isn't it?

Comment

Only four of the ranking systems on the Massey composite had UCF in the playoff. Out of 101 systems. Most of those systems ranked UCF’s schedule below 90th in the nation out of 130.

UCF needs to put their schedule in the top 40 before they’re going to sniff the playoffs. Everyone else in the top 8 had schedules in the top 40ish. Most in the CFP were top 25.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Only four of the ranking systems on the Massey composite had UCF in the playoff. Out of 101 systems. Most of those systems ranked UCF’s schedule below 90th in the nation out of 130.

UCF needs to put their schedule in the top 40 before they’re going to sniff the playoffs. Everyone else in the top 8 had schedules in the top 40ish. Most in the CFP were top 25.
                              So the fact that you have a "good" team in a bad conference hurts that team... Again, we're back to the circular argument that prohibits non-Power5 teams...

Comment

And what if the big teams simply refuse to play UCF in non-con games?
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X