Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

Norah Jones on this Christmas morning. Nice and calm.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Van Halen touring with Michael Anthony in bass in 2019!
    Last edited by solovsfett; 12-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Van Halen touring with Michael Anthony on bass in 2019!
    You could've just said this, and it would've been perfect. We all know Ed's kid isn't their real bass player.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Jimmy Eat World, "The Middle," in the car on repeat.

Trans girl anthem.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    You could've just said this, and it would've been perfect. We all know Ed's kid isn't their real bass player.
    😀

Van Hagar was a better band as far as meaningful songs than Van Halen, the party band. And of course, there is the Van that doesn't need to be mentioned.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

\../ \../
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Van Hagar was a better band as far as meaningful songs than Van Halen, the party band. And of course, there is the Van that doesn't need to be mentioned.
    When Sammy joined I swore up an down the first couple of Van Hagar albums were every bit as good as the David Lee Roth stuff. 30 years later I can't recall the last time I actively chose to listen to any of the Van Hagar stuff but I still love the first 6 Van HALEN albums. So much so that much of my 4 hour drive home after Christmas was fueled by Van Halen music. The Sammy stuff to me now just sounds so out of touch. I wonder why I loved it then but can't stand it now, while I still love the Roth stuff as much as the day I first heard Runnin' With The Devil?

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    When Sammy joined I swore up an down the first couple of Van Hagar albums were every bit as good as the David Lee Roth stuff. 30 years later I can't recall the last time I actively chose to listen to any of the Van Hagar stuff but I still love the first 6 Van HALEN albums. So much so that much of my 4 hour drive home after Christmas was fueled by Van Halen music. The Sammy stuff to me now just sounds so out of touch. I wonder why I loved it then but can't stand it now, while I still love the Roth stuff as much as the day I first heard Runnin' With The Devil?
    Not Enough remains my fave Van song. That being said, Jump and Panama are just balls-out rocking songs.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

I will also say this, Eruption and Spanish Fly are genius. Also, Runnin' With The Devil can burn. That bassline kills any interest I once had in that song.

Van Hagar sounds dated now; it didn't age well. I still like some of it, but because of all the synth stuff and the ballads, it sounds very 80s.

Sammy was, technically speaking, a better singer. Diamond Dave has far more personality though.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Van Hagar sounds dated now; it didn't age well. I still like some of it, but because of all the synth stuff and the ballads, it sounds very 80s.

Sammy was, technically speaking, a better singer. Diamond Dave has far more personality though.
    No argument on anything there, except anything Van sounds dated. Didn't matter the singer. You cannot tell me that "Jump" is not from the 80s, sorta thing.

Edit: I liked Hagar better because he was a more...meaningful lyricist. Won't say better, because depends on your taste.

Edit: I liked Hagar better because he was a more...meaningful lyricist.
    Nonsense. Sammy wrote plenty of schlocky double-entendre sex songs, too.

Go listen to "Good Enough" or "Black and Blue" or "Poundcake" and get back to me.

But sure, he wrote "Dreams" and "Right Now", and that makes up for the cheap stuff. I think he's even said that he specifically wrote "Right Now" because he was sick of writing sex songs.

Nonsense. Sammy wrote plenty of schlocky double-entendre sex songs, too.

Go listen to "Good Enough" or "Black and Blue" or "Poundcake" and get back to me.

But sure, he wrote "Dreams" and "Right Now", and that makes up for the cheap stuff. I think he's even said that he specifically wrote "Right Now" because he was sick of writing sex songs.
    Don't get me wrong, he wrote more than his fair share of party songs. However, the meaningful songs he wrote far outnumbered Van Halen songs, and were much better on that subject.

And of course, there is the Van that doesn't need to be mentioned.
    Van Extreme?

Funny how that never worked out, considering I've always though of Cherone as a Dave clone. Couldn't figure out why they wasted him on excessive "balladeering".

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Oh, please. Van Hagar was watered down mediocre, MOR schlock.

Just listen to Dreams. Then listen to Running With The Devil. Case closed.

Hagar? Meaningful? Only if you think that Lee Greenwood or whoever the hell it was, song about eagles flying is meaningful. Jesus Jones's Right Here Right Now is more meaningful than anything Sammy Hagar wrote.
    Last edited by rufus; 12-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Wu Tang before bed on Spotify. Nothing to F wit indeed. A good example of why C.R.E.A.M. Anyone who disagrees can go to the Gravel Pit.
    ― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Wu Tang before bed on Spotify. Nothing to F wit indeed. A good example of why C.R.E.A.M. Anyone who disagrees can go to the Gravel Pit.
    Gotta protect ya neck.

Muse- Absolution. On my "10 Favorite" list.
    ― Franz Kafka

Wait and see what tomorrow brings

I'm now working nights and during down time listening to several albums I haven't heard in a while. The last six were:
    Neil Young
    Blue Rodeo
    The Guess Who
    The Band
    Warren Zevon*
    The Tragically Hip

I looked back at this and I think maybe my subconscious was telling me I need to make a trip into Canada soon.
    (* Exception)
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Dorothy: Who Do You Love

This is f*ing wailing, and a banger, as the kids call it these days. Yes, the Grace Slick comparisons are rampant. Love this track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK8_EEqhwjk

Thread Information