• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    *shakes head*

White people...
    Sorry! I just think the 80s was the worst thing to happen to arts and culture since the GOP became a thing.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Sorry! I just think the 80s was the worst thing to happen to arts and culture since the GOP became a thing.
      My favorite era. And it's not even close.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Pearl Jam: Vitalogy. It was good. IMO, I think Yield was their best album from top to bottom. Ten (bonus points if you got the Euro version with the bonus tracks) is a close second.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Beyond your opinion of Earth, Wind, and Fire (again, White People), you also indirectly blast Minnesota’s own Prince, which I thought was a felony there.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Exception that proves the rule
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQuvPlcB-8

Cynthia: I call it the "every other decade" theory. The 50's were boring. The 60's rocked. The 70's, my god, they obviously suck. So maybe the 80s will be like, radical. I figure we'll be in our 20's and hey, it can't get any worse.

And JFC, Scooby Jr, dial it back a bit...
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The 80s sucked. Deal with it.
                Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  The 80s sucked. Deal with it.
                  Were you there? Then you wouldn't know.

If all you have to go on is current nostalgia for neon colors, bracelets, big hair, Duran Duran and Culture Club, I can see why you'd have that impression.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

If all you have to go on is current nostalgia for neon colors, bracelets, big hair, Duran Duran and Culture Club, I can see why you'd have that impression.
                    Right, but joking stubbornness aside, I can evaluate every decade on its own merits today. Which is what I’m doing with my rankings.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

I would have that impression also. However, there's also the explosion of hip-hop and metal (hair or otherwise).

Comment

This list is clearly drenched in white male rock
                        Is there really any other? A handful of exceptions (Jimi, EWF, Living Colour), but...

Those old blues influencers were blues, I don't count them as part of what defines "rock".

Comment

...and that's why it's so gloriously bad, that it's good!

Yeah, I hear you. It's terrible music, but for the most part, I love it. Blow me.

It's like Kep and The Bachelor or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            ...and that's why it's so gloriously bad, that it's good!

Yeah, I hear you. It's terrible music, but for the most part, I love it. Blow me.

It's like Kep and The Bachelor or whatever.
                            The thing is, a lot of it wasn't terrible music. Just a lot of the terrible music was what was popular. As with any other decade.

And that's the stuff people remember of the 80's.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

IMO this is a simplistic view.

The 'Born in the USA' and 'Come on Eileen' stuff was pretty soulless. But the magic of the 80s was its off center material, which was probably the best in recent history, starting with Blondie and ending with acts like the Cure.

1970s: a very strong decade of music with stuff like the Stones and Fleetwood Mac - music had soul, but could be too folksy
                              1980s: great off center stuff but mainstream stuff was pretty mediocre
                              1990s: solid decade of music with alternative carrying the load...it just took the 80s great off center stuff and made it mainstream
                              2000s: decent decade with some of its best work in metal or harder rock including tool and nine inch nails
                              2010-15: ok period with some creative music but at this stage real soul behind music was pretty much gone
                              2015-date: bad period with few bright spots such as highly suspect with soul and real meaning largely gone
                              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                IMO this is a simplistic view.

The 'Born in the USA' and 'Come on Eileen' stuff was pretty soulless. But the magic of the 80s was its off center material, which was probably the best in recent history, starting with Blondie and ending with acts like the Cure.
                                'Born in the USA' is a song that tells the story about an economically disadvantaged young man who gets into trouble, a judge sentences him to military service, and the service sends him to Vietnam to fight the war. It's something that truly did happen, and more than we as a nation would like to admit.

Are you calling it soulless because later on politicians would only pick out the chorus, thinking it's a patriotic tune, and proceed to use it in their campaign rallies?
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X