• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Rush does suck.

and the pumpkins are not grunge.
    I love Rush😀

Pumpkins are influenced by Rush big time. Both Corgan and Chamberlin are in the Rush doc. 😎
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

I have no problem with Rush. They're OK, but it took awhile for them to grow on me. I am only a casual fan though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I have no problem with Rush. They're OK, but it took awhile for them to grow on me. I am only a casual fan though.
        That's me too. Took a long time for me but now I appreciate them probably more than I would have if I would have been a fan right away.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

My music is great. Your music sucks.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Rush is meh. But if one runs into a Rush fan, get ready for a full blown thesis on how they are the best ever.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              Rush is meh. But if one runs into a Rush fan, get ready for a full blown thesis on how they are the best ever.
              I think a lot of Rush fans have complexes about their not being canonized like Zep or The Who etc.

It’s a real turnoff. As much as I love Rush, I cannot stand to be around their fanboys. I guess the same is true of Star Wars fanatics for me.

There’s a huge segment of both fanbases that go so far over the line it hurts their cause.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I think a lot of Rush fans have complexes about their not being canonized like Zep or The Who etc.

It’s a real turnoff. As much as I love Rush, I cannot stand to be around their fanboys. I guess the same is true of Star Wars fanatics for me.

There’s a huge segment of both fanbases that go so far over the line it hurts their cause.
                This is exactly what I think too. I don't think I fit into the current definition of Rush fan-boy though because once they stopped having Terry Brown produce or co-produce their stuff, I think it went downhill quickly. Of course maybe I'm just old and crotchety and the kids need to get the eff off my lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

Now all of that is definitely true, yes.

Comment

Oh, I think it's the opposite: Rush fanboys wouldn't be caught dead in that company. The only monster group they'd suffer spoken in the same breath is Pink Floyd.

Personally, Rush occupies a special place for me because it fits comfortably into my beloved Snob Rock circle with, say, King Crimson, but it's also very accessible. There are not many other bands like that: Metallica and... um... maybe Pixies on alternate Thursdays?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Oh, I think it's the opposite: Rush fanboys wouldn't be caught dead in that company. The only monster group they'd suffer spoken in the same breath is Pink Floyd.

Personally, Rush occupies a special place for me because it fits comfortably into my beloved Snob Rock circle with, say, King Crimson, but it's also very accessible. There are not many other bands like that: Metallica and... um... maybe Pixies on alternate Thursdays?
                      Good point. Maybe fanboys would accept early Genesis as well?

Snob Rock, I love it! Rush, Metallica, Pixies are definitely on that list. Maybe Melvin’s and Radiohead as well but the latter has been a bit boring for about 10 years or more now.

Comment

Pretty much every big alt band between 1982 and 1988 fits that definition - R.E.M., Replacements, Huskers, Sonic Youth, Fugazi - all fit the pretentious snob mold. You could also call it "hipster rock" and you wouldn't be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Pretty much every big alt band between 1982 and 1988 fits that definition - R.E.M., Replacements, Huskers, Sonic Youth, Fugazi - all fit the pretentious snob mold. You could also call it "hipster rock" and you wouldn't be wrong.
                          Agreed. Also, henceforth when someone asks what kind of music i’m Into I will tell em’: Snob Rock! 🤣

Btw, just listened to Sonic Youth and Fugazi, really miss those bands.

My current band opened for the messthetics (Fugazi’s rhythm section) last fall, super nice guys.

Comment

Good point. Maybe fanboys would accept early Genesis as well?
                            Yes. Well, a sort of a yes. I was thinking more about music with some kick to it. Genesis is very pretty and ornate, but it doesn't have much of THIS (grabs balls) to it.

Snob Rock, I love it! Rush, Metallica, Pixies are definitely on that list. Maybe Melvin’s and Radiohead as well but the latter has been a bit boring for about 10 years or more now.
                            Radiohead, like Peter Gabriel Genesis, is deep and sophisticated and beautiful but I was trying to also find something that rocks out, which they very much do not. Rush's eponymous album is straight metal.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2019, 01:23 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Agreed. Also, henceforth when someone asks what kind of music i’m Into I will tell em’: Snob Rock! ��

Btw, just listened to Sonic Youth and Fugazi, really miss those bands.

My current band opened for the messthetics (Fugazi’s rhythm section) last fall, super nice guys.
                              I recommend a group called the Pseudo Intellectuals. They have a lot of fun with themselves and they are very much in the Snob Rap category (founding member: Tribe, plus Aesop Rock and some others).

Sonic Youth is definitely a charter Snob Punk band (c.f. X, NoFX). My god they are great, and Thurston is a moron for cheating on Kim. (This is the only celebrity couple breakup that ever bummed me out. Those guys were basically my model of a good marriage, or so I thought.)
                              Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                No, those are all over the map. You're confusing cultural snobbery (hipsters) with intellectual snobbery (nerds).

Replacements is a wonderful garage band -- they have the IQ of a half empty bottle of Johnnie Walker and glory in it. They are the exact opposite of Snob Rock. They are Slob Rock.

REM was genre music that happened to be self-important (see also: U2). That makes it the Ur-Hipster band. None of those bands or their irritating Millennial progeny (e.g., shoe gaze, lofi, etc) are musically interesting or challenging. Their themes are intellectualized but their music is paint by numbers. The greatest (and most fun) band of this type is TMBG, proving this music can be great. Better Goth stuff falls into this category, too -- The Cure are masters at it.

What we're talking about here (Snob Rock, Snob Punk, Snob Rap, christ, there's gotta be a Snob Country out there -- Elvis Costello tries to do it but it sucks) are groups who have difficult music and difficult lyrics so they appeal to smart people (and threaten dumb people) both in ideas and aesthetics.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2019, 10:53 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X