This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I hated Zooropa and Pop but All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000) was brilliant and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was actually ok.

And I'm saying that as someone that bought War on vinyl the same year it was released and stood in line for 2 days (back in the day when you had to do that at the Daytons ticket office on Nicollete Ave. in downtown Mpls) to get tickets for their Joshua Tree shows in Mpls.

Correct. Not sure how that relationship was missed.

lolwut? I didn't say they were the greatest thing since sliced bread I asked who claimed they were.
    ATYCLB was dreadful. Couple good songs, the last half was horrible. Especially the 'monkey in a tree' song.

Everyone was raving about it was U2's comeback. Blech!!
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

I love 80’s music. From the pop stuff (prince, Duran Duran) to the stuff that hits me in the gut: Husker Du, The Replacements, Soul Asylum, Metallica, Slayer, Soundgarden, Megadeth, Bad Brains, Misfits, Fugazi, Minor Threat, Voivid, Die Kreuzen, Jesus Lizard, Minutemen and on and on.

I think Master Of Puppets went platinum with no mtv assistance or mass airplay.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Hair bands did not "lead" to grunge, they merely contributed. To say otherwise is fake news.

Also, outside of a couple songs, U2 has always sucked, and will continue to suck for as long as I live.
        Grunge was happening in the 80’s underground: soundgarden, green river, Melvin’s et al. That it took off from 89-91 spoke to how vapid hair metal was. Kids wanted a voice and they sure got it for a few years.

Seeing Soundgarden in 89 and Pearl Jam opening for Smashing Pumkins And RHCP about a year later you could see it happening in real time. No one was talking about dokken or Motley Crue etc., that **** may as well have been on Neptune at that point.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Wrong. They got labelled as grunge for a reason. That they would later go on and transcend those labels is beside the point.

Tom Petty was labelled as New Wave. Listen to those first two albums. Absolutely appropriate. Even Damm the Torpedoes,really.
          I'd say Smashing Pumpkins was more grunge than PJ and Soundgarden. To me, the latter was more of a classic rock form, updated a little.

Of course, Vedder himself said that the original grunge song was "Forever In Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond (Milwaukee show, 1995, I was there when he said it; he then played it).
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Smashing Pumpkins grunge? If anything, they were the band farthest from it. Sometimes dreamy and mystical, other times fast charging with cutting guitars.

Have you heard Rhinoceros?

Comment

Smashing Pumpkins grunge? If anything, they were the band farthest from it. Sometimes dreamy and mystical, other times fast charging with cutting guitars.

Have you heard Rhinoceros?
              I guess they just had those dirty guitar parts. I can't even call them riffs or hooks. Mystical is a decent description, I suppose, I just don't where to put them otherwise. They don't fit in anything except grunge, IMO.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I've never really tried to frame artists within the "grunge" label, but if one were to do it Soundgarden and PJ would 100% have to be included and it's ludicrous hearing people try to sound music savvy by claiming that they're not. It's as though they're trying to fight against being a correct label because it maligns their being a fan. Smashing Pumpkins isn't to me a grunge band on the whole but there are some grungy elements to some of their work.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I've never really tried to frame artists within the "grunge" label, but if one were to do it Soundgarden and PJ would 100% have to be included and it's ludicrous hearing people try to sound music savvy by claiming that they're not. It's as though they're trying to fight against being a correct label because it maligns their being a fan. Smashing Pumpkins isn't to me a grunge band on the whole but there are some grungy elements to some of their work.
                  Pearl Jam....to state the obvious, Neil Young is one of their biggest influences, and he wasn't grunge. I actually think PJ would have been BIGGER if they started in the 70s. I could maybe accept Soundgarden as grunge. They were a tough band to categorize. I lean towards classic rock, but I see the point otherwise. Nirvana was obviously grunge, so I compare bands' sound to that, and then form an opinion based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I guess they just had those dirty guitar parts. I can't even call them riffs or hooks. Mystical is a decent description, I suppose, I just don't where to put them otherwise. They don't fit in anything except grunge, IMO.
                    They're an arty metal/rock band. You could say they're Rush without the wankery.

Although Corgan did have his own sort of wankery, so yeah, the comparison stands.

Comment

They're an arty metal/rock band. You could say they're Rush without the wankery.

Although Corgan did have his own sort of wankery, so yeah, the comparison stands.
                      You're about to get reamed by all 6 Rush fans.

Comment

Soundgarden went through substantial stylistic changes over about 8 years. They started off as old school/early grunge (Screaming Life and Ultramega OK), then became alt metal as they got more polished (particularly Badmotorfinger), and I would say they were firmly progressive rock by DOTUS and the subsequent reunion that led to King Animal.

Comment

Bring it, Rush sucks.

Comment

Naaa, Rush draws some female fans now, so it's more like 7 or 8...
                            (And I say this as one of those 6 fans!)

Comment

Bring it, Rush sucks.
                              Rush does suck.

and the pumpkins are not grunge.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Bring it, Rush sucks.
                                No.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X