This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

Sleaford Mods. Impenetrable East Midlands accents and almost certainly white working class racist but I couldn't care less; they're great.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
        Big fan of that album.
        Also, you may want to check out the albums by I Am X - the male singer from the Sneaker Pimps on his own.

Comment

Backstory: In the mid-90s a group of scientists did a survey of what instruments, themes, topics, etc. people most liked to hear and least liked to hear in popular music. They used the results to make two songs: The Most Wanted Song and The Most Unwanted Song.

The Most Wanted Song is a fairly inoffensive pop ballad. Actually NPB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McIfIx29tSg

The Most Unwanted Song...hoo boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            Backstory: In the mid-90s a group of scientists did a survey of what instruments, themes, topics, etc. people most liked to hear and least liked to hear in popular music. They used the results to make two songs: The Most Wanted Song and The Most Unwanted Song.

The Most Wanted Song is a fairly inoffensive pop ballad. Actually NPB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McIfIx29tSg

The Most Unwanted Song...hoo boy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08
            I've heard about things like this. The following link refers to today's "country" formula:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

Its beats, a certain sound, whatever. It resonates to the human ear/etc. It is very interesting and very odd.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Norah: Little Broken Hearts
              Norah: Day Breaks
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Morcheeba: Big Calm

Very calm and uplifting music.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Morcheeba: Big Calm

Very calm and uplifting music.
                  Still one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Still one of my favorites.
                    Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Been a while... Last Update --> Link

dx --- RS12 -- RS03 -- Album
                      1.....-..2.....-..2.....-..The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
                      2.....-..1.....-..1.....-..The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
                      502..-..519..-..380..-..The Beach Boys - Sunflower
                      503..-..500..-..000..-..OutKast - Aquemini - **Listened to this some time between August and December. Forgot to jot down notes but this is where I had it on my list.
                      504..-..503..-..95..-..Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River - **See note above
                      505..-..530..-..441..-..No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
                      506..-..516..-..317..-..Eminem - The Eminem Show
                      507..-..535..-..474..-..Otis Redding - Live in Europe
                      508..-..496..-..000..-..Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs - **See note above
                      509..-..497..-..000..-..The White Stripes - White Blood Cells - **See note above I'm actually kind of shocked I rated it this high because I really don't like most of the white stripes.
                      510..-..528..-..426..-..Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
                      511..-..524..-..420..-..The Beatles - With The Beatles
                      512..-..499..-..000..-..B.B. King - Live in Cook County Jail - **See note above
                      513..-..495..-..000..-..Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up - **See note above
                      514..-..510..-..265..-..Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
                      515..-..522..-..412..-..Massive Attack - Mezzanine
                      516..-..534..-..468..-..Elton John - Elton John
                      517..-..531..-..444..-..Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
                      518..-..492..-..492..-..Eurythmics - Touch - Listened to this today. Very surprised I liked it given how much I don't like 80s music.
                      519..-..537..-..487..-..The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
                      520..-..494..-..000..-..MGMT - Oracular Spectacular, featuring "Time To Pretend" - **See note above
                      521..-..498..-..000..-..The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses - **See note above
                      522..-..511..-..267..-..Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon
                      523..-..533..-..453..-..Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
                      524..-..515..-..316..-..No Doubt - Rock Steady
                      525..-..509..-..260..-..Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club - Listened to this the last week in July. I remember being surprised I didn't hate it. It probably belongs higher.
                      526..-..493..-..000..-..Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Listened to this today. Kinda generic. It's going to get passed by a lot of albums.
                      527..-..505..-..164..-..Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel - **See note above
                      528..-..520..-..384..-..Def Leppard - Pyromania
                      529..-..514..-..307..-..Roxy Music - Avalon
                      530..-..517..-..327..-..Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
                      531..-..508..-..245..-..Nick Drake - Bryter Layter - **See note above
                      532..-..518..-..379..-..Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park
                      533..-..529..-..435..-..PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
                      534..-..536..-..484..-..Merle Haggard - Branded Man
                      535..-..538..-..497..-..Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show
                      536..-..521..-..387..-..Roxy Music - Country Life
                      537..-..512..-..283..-..Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
                      538..-..532..-..452..-..Madonna - Music

Note: 38 albums were replaced between the original 2003 list and the 2012 edition. I am counting up from the bottom of those that dropped out.
                      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Heard Greta Van Fleet finally. Not into it at all, terrible lyrics, complete rip like Kingdom Come.

Although compared to 21 pilots or Hobo Johnson they sound like Slayer!
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          Heard Greta Van Zeppelin finally. Not into it at all, terrible lyrics, complete rip like Kingdom Come.

I like them. I like them even more because of how young they are and their potential to grow as musicians.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This morning on Spotify:

Outkast
                            P!nk
                            The Ataris
                            Taking Back Sunday
                            Unwritten Law

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              Heard Greta Van Fleet finally. Not into it at all, terrible lyrics, complete rip like Kingdom Come.

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              I like them. I like them even more because of how young they are and their potential to grow as musicians.
                              They're alright. There's talent in their lineup, unlike Kingdom Come, who were definitely a one-trick pony.

At this point, what is there really left to do with rock & roll that could be classified as "new"?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                They're alright. There's talent in their lineup, unlike Kingdom Come, who were definitely a one-trick pony.

At this point, what is there really left to do with rock & roll that could be classified as "new"?
                                True. But look at the White Stripes, not a new idea but terrific songwriting.

I’m sure there will be a Nirvana moment again with some young group with a superstar singer/songwriter but as to being new like a fresh take the Bowie’s and Radiohead via Kid A are quite rare. No telling when or if we’ll hear something that fresh in the next 5, 10, 15 years even.

I am hoping mostly for a John Lennon or Joe Strummer type to come all no, great songs AND politically woke as ****.
                                Too bad Lennon was cut down when he was just coming back: https://youtu.be/cuuhsqA95iA

And Joe died at a time when The Clash were talking of reuniting.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X