Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Article on recruits with comments from Tony Granato:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a8d8c325175fcc

Drunkard

Some odd comments in there, like calling MdSP “no Cole Caufield”.

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Some odd comments in there, like calling MdSP “no Cole Caufield”.
    Probably should post the actual quote:
    “ He's very gifted offensively. He's smart. He's sneaky. He's not quite Cole Caufield, but he's got the offensive instincts to get open, to make plays.”

I don’t really like the comparison to a current player though. Kinda puts your recruit (or current player) down in a way and that’s not the thing that a coach should be saying to the media or public.

It's a COMPLIMENT.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Does Connelly have access to talk to the goalies or help them in any sort of coaching level?

I’m guessing not, with Winchester as the volunteer coach, the NCAA having rules that they enforce and the fact that I haven’t seen Lebedeff do a spin-o-Rama save.
    A couple things about this:

Connelly can't be on the ice with them at practice coaching, but he can talk with them all he wants. I think it was Mike Valley (could be someone else though) who I heard say that these days, by the time goalies get to D1, they know the techniques and drills and how to play the position. 98% of what they need during the season (and what a goalie coach does) is work and help with the mental aspects of playing goalie. If that is the case then I suppose that Shane is a good resource to do those sorts of things.

On the hockey hour this week, Tony said outright that Shane works with the goalies, presumably in this way. Interesting thing from Oz on the subject. He said that when he worked for Blais, Dean never wanted a goalie coach, nor did he want a lot of specialty training with goalies off on their own. (think like kickers in football that are always off by themselves) Blais wanted his goalies with the team and to be players first, (just like the other players) and goalies second. I'd never heard that take before around the staff, and maybe that explains a little of their thinking on the subject. Blais was a world-class team builder, so I can't say myself that there's not something to that approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Drunkard

Good stuff, Wisko

Matty DSP remains second in the USHL in both goals and points with 12-11-23 in 18gp. Sam Stange is on a tear with 5g in his last 3 and after a slow start on the score sheet has moved into T-12 in goals scored on the season with 9. Stange starting to remind me a little of the Big Pavelski at Waterloo with his great eye-hand coordination and the way he's scoring anywhere from the points right down to the net front.

Caden Brown had a 4 pt night with 2-2 for team USA vs. Muskegon yesterday. Brown has taken over the 2nd line C spot recently after playing down the lineup mostly at wing earlier in the season.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Corson Ceulemans is the only '03 named to Canada West for the World Junior A Challenge. Canada West opens up against Team USA on Saturday evening in Dawson Creek, BC.

Pretty good stuff from the 16 year old.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Thread Information