X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
    I truly appreciate the recruiting spreadsheet, but I don't think you can extrapolate a "# of forwards in 20XX from it"

One difference between the way the spreadsheet is done now and how Chuck did it is there is no projection for guys leaving early, which I think needs to be changed as it paints a wildly inaccurate picture from what the coaches are thinking. Alex Turcotte is never going to be a Senior at UW, but according to the spreadsheet he will be. I also think the entry year for some guys is off. Nobody is going to get all that stuff right as it is always changing.

That being said, I think there will definitely be forward decommitments along the way.
    It's understood that guys are going to early. My point was if 5 guys leave early by 20-21, they still have 20 F. We all know who the flight risks are. It's probably not likely that Bohlin, Almquist and Stevens are coming since they haven't signed their LOI's, or as far as I have seen anyway. From a pure scoring standpoint they aren't lighting it up this season.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      It's understood that guys are going to early. My point was if 5 guys leave early by 20-21, they still have 20 F. We all know who the flight risks are. It's probably not likely that Bohlin, Almquist and Stevens are coming since they haven't signed their LOI's, or as far as I have seen anyway. From a pure scoring standpoint they aren't lighting it up this season.
      Gwhini thanks for continuing to update the spreadsheet! I think seeing the guys leaving early in green is understandable for most people.

Take away the green players and they still way over-recruited / recruited guys to early getting into the same issue MM did. They've added Ty Pelton-Byce and Ryder for next year, meaning several (like 5-7) of the guys recruited early aren't coming, some are being pushed back. That is not a good situation.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

FYI....UW Women from a few weeks ago...Laney Potter commits..D...Pittsburg Pens Elite U14......2023-2024. Thanks for the spreadsheets!
        I had see the Laney Potter commit, but didn't want to add the extra column yet.

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        Gwhini thanks for continuing to update the spreadsheet! I think seeing the guys leaving early in green is understandable for most people.

Take away the green players and they still way over-recruited / recruited guys to early getting into the same issue MM did. They've added Ty Pelton-Byce and Ryder for next year, meaning several (like 5-7) of the guys recruited early aren't coming, some are being pushed back. That is not a good situation.
        Glad to do it. Wish I could find a way to make the spreadsheet a bit cleaner for the future, but it does really highlight how messy recruiting has become in the men's game. Tab over to the women's spreadsheet and you see how it should be.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Wisco has definitely developed a reputation for over recruiting and not really caring about their recruits once committed. Sure, blue chip guys will always be coddled. We've seen how that has worked out for the traditional powerhouse programs. The top incoming recruits Wisconsin has are also surrounded by all NHL draft picks on the NDTP team. It's anticipated the entire NDTP u18 team will be drafted this year. That has never happened. Much easier to be great when playing with other top talent. Point being, Granato treats college like its the pros. Every kid in the upper Midwest would love to play for WI or MN. Yet well informed advisors/parents see the potential issues. All that to play for a consistently sub 20 team in the country? Drop a 4 year player like Cruikshank because he wasn't an NHL draft pick....interesting move. Good thing, Wisco fans can go south and play golf much earlier than the rest of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronRange View Post
            Wisco has definitely developed a reputation for over recruiting and not really caring about their recruits once committed. Sure, blue chip guys will always be coddled. We've seen how that has worked out for the traditional powerhouse programs. The top incoming recruits Wisconsin has are also surrounded by all NHL draft picks on the NDTP team. It's anticipated the entire NDTP u18 team will be drafted this year. That has never happened. Much easier to be great when playing with other top talent. Point being, Granato treats college like its the pros. Every kid in the upper Midwest would love to play for WI or MN. Yet well informed advisors/parents see the potential issues. All that to play for a consistently sub 20 team in the country? Drop a 4 year player like Cruikshank because he wasn't an NHL draft pick....interesting move. Good thing, Wisco fans can go south and play golf much earlier than the rest of the country.
            Wisco has not been loaded with talent yet so you are making a big assumption, but thanks for trolling. Back to your regularly scheduled boredom in the iron range.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
              "Much easier to be great when playing with other top talent" Sounds a bit like "Oh sure-- If my kid played with Hughes or Turcotte he'd look like a superstar too!" Maybe, maybe not, might just look lost. Depends on the talent level a kid has to begin with.

To get to the NTDP they have to be among the most elite 15's in the country to start with. And the number and level of really talented US kids is huge compared to just a decade or two ago so it follows that the best of the best are getting better all the time.

If Grant Cruikshank, (a player most Badger fans were really hoping for) wanted to be a Badger, he would be. He was given an offer and and NLI and decided not to sign it. He has strong family connections to Colorado and decided he wanted to play there instead. I'm not sure how sending a committed kid an NLI constitutes "dropping him because he's not an NHL draft pick."
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Iron Range and I actually agree on one thing. I have mentioned it here previously. Next year's draft class is loaded with talent so grabbing extra players from that particular class should be beneficial for teams.

I'm interested in how practicing against such a deep lineup day after day and competing to not only be in the lineup but crack the top 6 will help this team next year. The staff will have the luxury of sitting down skill guys to send messages when needed and can certainly foster all the competition they want in practice. It should pay dividends.
                Last edited by DPlaya; 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Depending how they pan out, your forward class next year could go down as one of the best ever. F that. Hopefully you continue to suck lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    Depending how they pan out, your forward class next year could go down as one of the best ever. F that. Hopefully you continue to suck lol.
                    Well, it really depends on the D and G's too.

Looks like they are really going to try and outscore everyone.
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                      Well, it really depends on the D and G's too.

Looks like they are really going to try and outscore everyone.
                      Works out okay for PSU. Not great.

Comment

Class looks special, but just ask BU how stockpiling first rounders is going - entitlement, agents whispering in their ears, rental mentality, egos of parents in the stands, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                          Class looks special, but just ask BU how stockpiling first rounders is going - entitlement, agents whispering in their ears, rental mentality, egos of parents in the stands, etc.
                          The last 4 years with Quinn, BU won almost 100 games, 2 HE titles, had a NC game appearance and 4 straight NCAA's for the first time since Jackie had them on that unbelievable run in the 90's.

Terrible stuff. Just freakin' horrible.

Incidentally, the last two first rounders we had here (Kunin and Frederic) were fantastic kids from fantastic families. I'll always remember Mark Kunin taking the initiative and immediately killing the rumor that Luke was bolting to the CHL at the low point of the program. Class acts. All of them. From everything I've heard and studied on these incoming Badger recruits, they're all cut from similar cloth. I think the program will manage to survive, somehow.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            I had see the Laney Potter commit, but didn't want to add the extra column yet.
                            Cool, I just didn't want to forget about her, I'd hate for us hurt her feelings.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                              Wisco has definitely developed a reputation for over recruiting and not really caring about their recruits once committed.
                              That ship was sunk 3 years ago with the canning of "Metaphor" Mike Eaves. There's no longer a "reputation" other than the one YOU think there is.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Cool, I just didn't want to forget about her, I'd hate for us hurt her feelings.
                                Feelings are overrated.
                                Oh, by the way, I was listening to NHL Network Radio while driving today. (Channel 91 on your SiriusXM Radio ). There was an interview with Alex Turcotte. They discussed his family tree of hockey players, his injury, his future, etc. Scott Laughlin (and I think it was Matthew Barnaby) really liked him. He came off well spoken and confident.
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-19-2019, 08:49 PM.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X