X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Well when Ranta decommited, the rumor was he was going to BU because Brady T had left, so that meant BU had money available. Instead he wisely chose MN, which had money freed up when Hurley had decided not to come earlier in the year. And the comparison to make isn't 'how many NTDP player go straight to the NHL?", it is "How many clear number 1 overall picks choose to play NCAA after being selected?"
    Not sure your question about how many choose to play NCAA is any good either. I think in the last 40 or so years, there have only been a few #1's eligible to play NCAA. Joe Murphy and Rick DiPietro had already played NCAA at MI St and BU respectively. Eric Johnson did go to MN after being drafted #1. Kane went to the London Knights and Matthews went to Sweden instead of college, but that remained in doubt for quite awhile. I think every other #1 was ineligible to play NCAA.

So of the 5, 2 played NCAA hockey before, one of the other three went to the NCAA after. DiPietro is the only NCAA eligible #1 to actually play on a regular NHL roster the year after he was drafted.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Not sure your question about how many choose to play NCAA is any good either. I think in the last 40 or so years, there have only been a few #1's eligible to play NCAA. Joe Murphy and Rick DiPietro had already played NCAA at MI St and BU respectively. Eric Johnson did go to MN after being drafted #1. Kane went to the London Knights and Matthews went to Sweden instead of college, but that remained in doubt for quite awhile. I think every other #1 was ineligible to play NCAA.

So of the 5, 2 played NCAA hockey before, one of the other three went to the NCAA after. DiPietro is the only NCAA eligible #1 to actually play on a regular NHL roster the year after he was drafted.
      Jack Hughes is draft eligible before he is eligible to play in the NCAA, yet you compare him to mostly players who were eligible to play NCAA before they were old enough to be drafted? Sounds like WI logic. Matthews and the rest couldn't go to the NHL until they were drafted so how are they a good comparison. Looks like Johnson is the only one who waited a year after being drafted. (Why would you pass on a chance to play for the Gophers?) So how many of the number one overall picks in the NHL draft in the last 10-15 years have deferred playing in the NHL for a year, regardless of whether they played in the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Jack Hughes is draft eligible before he is eligible to play in the NCAA, yet you compare him to mostly players who were eligible to play NCAA before they were old enough to be drafted? Sounds like WI logic. Matthews and the rest couldn't go to the NHL until they were drafted so how are they a good comparison. Looks like Johnson is the only one who waited a year after being drafted. (Why would you pass on a chance to play for the Gophers?) So how many of the number one overall picks in the NHL draft in the last 10-15 years have deferred playing in the NHL for a year, regardless of whether they played in the NCAA?
        Here's the question you asked---> "How many clear number 1 overall picks choose to play NCAA after being selected?"

It's a dumb question as almost no one was eligible to play NCAA. When you ask such a dumb question it shouldn't be all that surprising that you get a less than satisfying answer. In the last 20 years, only two #1's, DiPietro and Johnson, were eligible to play in both the NHL and the NCAA following their draft. One went each way.

Put a different way, nearly all #1's who came from the CHL level or NCAA level, went straight to the NHL. No one drafted at any spot has gone from the USHL level or the NTDP level (which is sort of inbetween) straight to the NHL. Which is what I said.

The question with Hughes won't be if he's talented enough, it will be if he's physically matured enough to take the pounding of an NHL season. If that's still a question in one year, a GM may be smart to let him fill out a bit in college or MJ rather than risk bringing him up before he's physically there yet. I'd say 60% he's in the show. 35% he's at MI or MJ. Quinn could have signed for big money this year but didn't. Might indicate that the money isn't the top factor with these kids.

At best it's 30-1 he could be a Badger. He is Turcotte's roommate at the NTDP and they are close. He wrote this about playing with Caufield the other day:
        "I also had an assist when Cole Caufield and I finished a 2-on-1. We were joking about it because we've seen that goal 10 times already; it's kind of automatic. Cole is an unbelievable player. It's fun to play with a guy like that because he has such a special scoring ability."

He'd probably love to play another year with those guys. I won't be holding my breath though.
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Here's the question you asked---> "How many clear number 1 overall picks choose to play NCAA after being selected?"

It's a dumb question as almost no one was eligible to play NCAA. When you ask such a dumb question it shouldn't be all that surprising that you get a less than satisfying answer. In the last 20 years, only two #1's, DiPietro and Johnson, were eligible to play in both the NHL and the NCAA following their draft. One went each way.

Put a different way, nearly all #1's who came from the CHL level or NCAA level, went straight to the NHL. No one drafted at any spot has gone from the USHL level or the NTDP level (which is sort of inbetween) straight to the NHL. Which is what I said.

The question with Hughes won't be if he's talented enough, it will be if he's physically matured enough to take the pounding of an NHL season. If that's still a question in one year, a GM may be smart to let him fill out a bit in college or MJ rather than risk bringing him up before he's physically there yet. I'd say 60% he's in the show. 35% he's at MI or MJ. Quinn could have signed for big money this year but didn't. Might indicate that the money isn't the top factor with these kids.

At best it's 30-1 he could be a Badger. He is Turcotte's roommate at the NTDP and they are close. He wrote this about playing with Caufield the other day:
          "I also had an assist when Cole Caufield and I finished a 2-on-1. We were joking about it because we've seen that goal 10 times already; it's kind of automatic. Cole is an unbelievable player. It's fun to play with a guy like that because he has such a special scoring ability."

He'd probably love to play another year with those guys. I won't be holding my breath though.
          If lightning strikes and Jack Hughes chooses to play with Caulfield and Turcotte for one more year...holy sheeeeeyat that would be flat out insane.

Like Heatley-mania x10.

But in reality i’m **** excited for Cole and Alex to light the lamp consistently for UW. I think they could be a couple of Jason Zent type 35 point frosh season guys.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2019-...tember-top-10/

Turcotte ranked #3
            Cole Caufield #16
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2019-...tember-top-10/

Turcotte ranked #3
              Cole Caufield #16
              Interesting, I though in the past Caufield ranked ahead of Turcotte.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Interesting, I though in the past Caufield ranked ahead of Turcotte.
                I gotta think it is his size that is holding him back...each level they say it will be a factor, and so far he has overcome it. 5'6", 155.

Comment

• Originally posted by Innova View Post
                  I gotta think it is his size that is holding him back...each level they say it will be a factor, and so far he has overcome it. 5'6", 155.
                  Different services have different rankings. Some have Caufield ahead of Turcotte.

Comment

Here's a little video report on Turcotte.

What's the saying? All show and no go? Turcotte is all GO and all SHOW all the time. Love everything about his game. Nothing he can't do.

Lot of people project him as a No.1 C in the NHL. There's only 31 of those in the world at the moment.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Jack Hughes passed to Cole Caufield.

You could probably guess what happened next.

Comment

beauty of a goal. Nice one timer little man!
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

"Players to Watch for 2019 NHL Draft" list is out/updated

8 players with NCAA connections ranked as "A" which indicates 1st round picks.
                          Turcotte and Caufield from UW
                          2 from BU, 3 from BC, 1 uncommitted D (Cameron York)

All told, 5 UW players and all are offensive players
                          Turcotte - A
                          Caufield - A
                          Leyh - C
                          Lindmark - C
                          Stange - C

Comment

• There’s a B rated goalie on that list that’s uncommitted. Cameron Rowe. Anyone know if we’ve expressed interest in him? He’s from the north side of Chicago.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                              There’s a B rated goalie on that list that’s uncommitted. Cameron Rowe. Anyone know if we’ve expressed interest in him? He’s from the north side of Chicago.
                              He's committed to Omaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                He's committed to Omaha.
                                Dang, the list gave me hope for a second.

Comment

Working...
                                X