X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Tim, you KNOW Sampo's going to carve us up. So will the Krygiers and if we played C.C., Cruikshank would. They won't admit it, but they'll have a big ****ing chip on their shoulders. Like I posted earlier, there's GOT to be something else going on. I'm not jumping ship, but currently I don't feel any better about this program than I did before Mike Eaves got let go. Since spring, I've done a complete 180 regarding the team and the recruiting.
    I am with you Rich. You are right on carving us up.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Tim, you KNOW Sampo's going to carve us up. So will the Krygiers and if we played C.C., Cruikshank would. They won't admit it, but they'll have a big ****ing chip on their shoulders. Like I posted earlier, there's GOT to be something else going on. I'm not jumping ship, but currently I don't feel any better about this program than I did before Mike Eaves got let go. Since spring, I've done a complete 180 regarding the team and the recruiting.
      I yes! Agreed on all points.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Ranta's a big loss up front this year, no doubt. I have no idea how the process works of getting them in and if it is a hockey staff issue or academic staff issue.

Next year is the big influx of forward talent. Turcotte and Caufield are the big headliners, but guys like Lindmark and De St. Phalle are great players as well. Next year is the first year the staff will have had a big chance to put their stamp on forward recruits because of the forward pipeline that already existed when they got here, so while I hate being patient I'm telling myself I have to be patient.

The staff has pulled the team out of the basement but it takes time to turn an established team around. It might be easier to start from scratch (Penn State) and have success than undo a bunch of mistakes that are locked in for years (UW) and have success when you think about it realistically.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
          Ranta's a big loss up front this year, no doubt. I have no idea how the process works of getting them in and if it is a hockey staff issue or academic staff issue.

Next year is the big influx of forward talent. Turcotte and Caufield are the big headliners, but guys like Lindmark and De St. Phalle are great players as well. Next year is the first year the staff will have had a big chance to put their stamp on forward recruits because of the forward pipeline that already existed when they got here, so while I hate being patient I'm telling myself I have to be patient.

The staff has pulled the team out of the basement but it takes time to turn an established team around. It might be easier to start from scratch (Penn State) and have success than undo a bunch of mistakes that are locked in for years (UW) and have success when you think about it realistically.
          Here's the thing though, when the players for next year start looking at what has happened this summer... are they going to start having doubts about signing up? Why are so many people deciding to change their mind about coming to the program?

That's my bigger long term concern at this point. Players have said they're coming, but at this point who knows if they will actually show up anymore.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            Here's the thing though, when the players for next year start looking at what has happened this summer... are they going to start having doubts about signing up? Why are so many people deciding to change their mind about coming to the program?

That's my bigger long term concern at this point. Players have said they're coming, but at this point who knows if they will actually show up anymore.
            Who changed their mind? The Krygiers are the only ones who mentioned playing time and that may only have been to save face because they couldn't gain admission, who knows. And honestly, playing time this year would have been tough to gain for them this year.

Edit: Cruikshank did when they changed his scholarship money, but that was a calculated gamble by the staff. They must have been willing to lose him if he balked.

Comment

Who changed their mind? The Krygiers are the only ones who mentioned playing time and that may only have been to save face because they couldn't gain admission, who knows. And honestly, playing time this year would have been tough to gain for them this year.

Edit: Cruikshank did when they changed his scholarship money, but that was a calculated gamble by the staff. They must have been willing to lose him if he balked.
              The way I look at it, if you sign an NLI and then ask to be released from it, you changed your mind. Whether it was a test score or playing time or scholarship money, something happened. The fact remains that 4 players walked away this year for one reason or another... and that doesn't look good from the outside.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I agree on the talent coming in. Turcotte and Caufield are big time headliners but I really love Lindmark's game. He's been buried doing the dirty work behind the superstars on team USA but I really think he's going to be another special player here.

I'm not 100% with you on the established team thing. New coaches are at liberty to ditch anyone they want and replace any recruits not on NLI's. The main guy we ditched was #1 in the country in assists last year on a bit above average team. Now maybe getting dumped shook Rocky up and it was what spurred him to turn it around, or maybe he just needed to mature a bit more physically, but in any case, it doesn't look like a good decision now. Oz got greedy and signed the Krygiers in lieu of F's when everyone knew there wasn't ice time for them. Cruikshank was ditched and probably some other F we could have landed and who'll have 10 NCAA goals this year. Other Big Names are elsewhere. Now this Ranta deal. We were promised all the best players would be lining up to play here. "Austin Matthews would have been here if I was the coach!" Well, Massimo Rizzo is going to Nodak and Oliver Wahlstrom is at BC.

I love Tony, and Oz, and Stroby and they've landed some great guys, but they gotta quit making mistakes, starting today.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Nothing matters.

Same old story.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9Uypm4FIAQuLj8

Updated
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Ok the kid can't speak English, it happens. What I want to know is how do you let the kid out of his NLI and he then walks across the bridge to MN???? You're doing him a huge favor by letting him out of it, would it be that hard to say stay the crap out of the Big Ten? And where did they come up with that scholarship money at this point in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny Wolf View Post
                        Ok the kid can't speak English, it happens. What I want to know is how do you let the kid out of his NLI and he then walks across the bridge to MN???? You're doing him a huge favor by letting him out of it, would it be that hard to say stay the crap out of the Big Ten? And where did they come up with that scholarship money at this point in the game?
                        Your really not doing him much of a favor, just not being a dick about it. As soon as Admissions informs him in writing he's not admitted, his NLI disappears. So this week or next he's gone anyway.

My understanding is Connor Hurley will not be on the goofs roster after sitting a year to transfer from Notre Dame.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Since I was in the "bash the staff decisions" mode, I'm reminded that Kohen Olichefski had 11 pts as Freshman in a limited role behind all the stud F's at DU; Jack Becker had 8g 7a, murdered us, and played a big role for the Blue Weasels as a Frosh; Max Gildon had 23 pts from the Blue line for a sub par New Hampshire as a frosh; and Trenton Bliss exploded for 55 points (tied for 9th) in the USHL last year and is headed to Tech. All commits that this staff turned down or couldn't hold on to. Can't be right on everybody and time will tell, but be right a lot more then you're wrong.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

UW has higher academic standards than a lot of places...it has come into play in football and other sports as well as hockey as far as not being able to recruit certain players and not being able to get certain recruits in. It's not going to change and the coaches clearly need to figure it out. Tony obviously does not have experience with these things so it is more on the Assistants and/or Academic Staff to troubleshoot these items ahead of time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wisko McBadgerton;6691022]Your really not doing him much of a favor, just not being a dick about it. As soon as Admissions informs him in writing he's not admitted, his NLI disappears. So this week or next he's gone anyway.

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                My understanding is Connor Hurley will not be on the goofs roster after sitting a year to transfer from Notre Dame.
                                That is correct, and this is what opened up the spot for Ranta.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X