X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    No those stats don't mean much of anything. Sv% and GAA are about as useful as +/- in evaluation. Without any context it's meaningless. Do you think Cale Morris would have the same SV% and GAA if he played for UAH as he does playing for ND? But suddenly he would be a bad NCAA goalie? Rumpel went from a 1.96 GAA as a soph to a 3.49 GAA as a senior. Can't believe how he phoned it in the last year. What a lousy goalie he suddenly became.

Only two of the six current NHL goalies the NCAA produced in total over the last 10 years were drafted, so I'm not very worried about that either. I've watched them both play. They are very talented.
    At least that is a reasoned argument (even though if he was a huge talent, Rowe would have been drafted), and I haven't seen them play. Of course you are a d!ck about it, but based on the original response, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess you view these guys as elite and the next Mike Richter, Jim Carey, Brian Elliott, etc. I will remain skeptical....
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Jeez, TJk, maybe people are advocating something in the middle of those extremes?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Jeez, TJk, maybe people are advocating something in the middle of those extremes?
        I said elite and those are the guys that come to mind. Wisko is the one who jumped all over me for that. I'd be satisfied with another Joel Rumpel in a heartbeat. But these coaches preached they were going to get the best players.... That's where I was going with the original statement. At this point I'll take a break from commenting anymore. I just not going to let Wisko run the truck over me and then back up.....
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

There must be something in the air because both this thread and the Badger women's hockey thread are pretty rough lately.

Hopefully things will calm down soon.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            I said elite and those are the guys that come to mind. Wisko is the one who jumped all over me for that. I'd be satisfied with another Joel Rumpel in a heartbeat. But these coaches preached they were going to get the best players.... That's where I was going with the original statement. At this point I'll take a break from commenting anymore. I just not going to let Wisko run the truck over me and then back up.....
            Apologies if you feel trucked, I was bothered by your comment. There are plenty of things to complain about, and plenty of things you do complain about, which is fine, but complaining about getting Rowe (or Grannan) because they don't appear "elite" enough shouldn't be any of them, IMO.

Will they be the next Elliot? Very likely not. Because it's not even likely that Knight, who was far and away rated the world's #1 prospect will be the next Elliot either. It's just so rare. The odds of any one guy becoming a regular NHL goalie for a dozen years are very, very slim. Btw- Elliott was the 291st player taken in the 9th round of '03 draft. Only 217 players were drafted last year in 7 rounds.

Getting the best players means getting the best players available, not that we're only signing six Gretzky's and a Dominik Hasek every year. Because those guys don't exist, and if they do they are not likely to be playing NCAA hockey.

I'll say it again: Rowe was the #2 US born prospect as a 15 year old. He was the the #4 North American prospect and the #7 prospect in the world as an 18 year old. (#'s 6,8,9,10 didn't get drafted either, FWIW) Of the goalies who are eligible or will play NCAA in that year class, Rowe was the #2 rated in the world.

Those are pretty good credentials. You might even call them "elite". Why anybody would want to go out of their way to be critical of him as a recruit, or the staff for recruiting him is just completely beyond me.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Does Connelly have access to talk to the goalies or help them in any sort of coaching level?

I’m guessing not, with Winchester as the volunteer coach, the NCAA having rules that they enforce and the fact that I haven’t seen Lebedeff do a spin-o-Rama save.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Does Connelly have access to talk to the goalies or help them in any sort of coaching level?

I’m guessing not, with Winchester as the volunteer coach, the NCAA having rules that they enforce and the fact that I haven’t seen Lebedeff do a spin-o-Rama save.
                I’m fairly certain that Connelly has been involved in goaltending somehow. I remember hearing it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I have updated his status on the spreadsheet showing that he has signed his NLI.
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

During the PSU broadcasts I recall that bad play by play guy for BTN said Cons was coaching the goalies. Not that that may not be right or accurate, but it was stated. It was and still may be a felony not having a goalie coach at a team whose goal is to contend for a Natty.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Comment

Article on recruits with comments from Tony Granato:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...a8d8c325175fcc

Comment

Some odd comments in there, like calling MdSP “no Cole Caufield”.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Some odd comments in there, like calling MdSP “no Cole Caufield”.
                              Probably should post the actual quote:
                              “ He's very gifted offensively. He's smart. He's sneaky. He's not quite Cole Caufield, but he's got the offensive instincts to get open, to make plays.”

I don’t really like the comparison to a current player though. Kinda puts your recruit (or current player) down in a way and that’s not the thing that a coach should be saying to the media or public.

Comment

It's a COMPLIMENT.

Comment

Working...
                                X