This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I am not a college hockey coach and haven't coached college athletics, but I have a college athlete son, coach high school Lacrosse, and have coached at various youth levels of baseball, lacrosse, and soccer. So it's what I've seen watching almost every single game this year and most every home game live. Does this make me an expert? No, not at all and I would never say that, but I watch with a coaches mentality.

The mental errors, stupid penalties, lack of defensive zone presence/blown coverage seems to not have improved. Special teams and faceoffs have been atrocious. I can live with the limited fire power on offense, but that means it's doubly important to have hard work and correct play on the defensive end. I can even live with a lackluster effort on certain games or for a period or two as hockey, like lacrosse, is a game of flow and runs.

The thing that gets me is the two largest crowds in the last two years were last year Saturday Minnesota and OSU this past weekend. Both of those games had a distinctive lack of effort when they should have been jacked to play those games and come out all guns blazing. Tony even called the second period Saturday, their worst of the year. That is a team and coach leadership issue and is very concerning.

Sorry for the long winded response.....
    I had not seen this article when I asked the question.

https://madison.com/sports/college/hockey/losing-season-isn-t-derailing-tony-granato-s-approach-to/article_db02ff91-cbca-5e10-8623-8dfb88921bfc.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

2 games over the weekend Lindmark 3A, Turcotte 2G 3A, Caufield 1G.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Last weekend Holloway was 1g 2a in 2 games.

There is one AJHL team that is 52-3 for the year. :O The Brooks Bandits. Their goal differential is +193. The next best is +94, Holloway's team, the Okotoks Oilers.

Oz's kid Jake is up for WI Mr. Hockey. I wonder what is plans for the future are.

Comment

Added Ryder Donovan to next years forwards.

Didn't see that one coming...

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...8b2d22462.html
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

That's a pretty significant move. Big kid with very good skates and terrific hands -- should really fit in nicely with the way Tony wants to play. Great addition!

I thought Mathieu De St Phalle would be the next guy added for next year as I think he's been close to a point per game since joining the Chicago Steel. Maybe another year in Juniors for him though. Obviously some older players in the pipeline may never get here, and possibly too, some here, will not finish their careers here.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Last weekend Holloway was 1g 2a in 2 games.

There is one AJHL team that is 52-3 for the year. :O The Brooks Bandits. Their goal differential is +193. The next best is +94, Holloway's team, the Okotoks Oilers.

Oz's kid Jake is up for WI Mr. Hockey. I wonder what is plans for the future are.
              Brooks is loaded to the gills with 19 year old D-1 players. I think the 15th leading scorer for the Bandits is heading to Lowell next year and all but one or two above him are doing the same at other D-1 schools. Brooks shut out Okotoks 4-0 a week or two ago, one of the few games Holloway has been kept off the score sheet. Last year it was Okotoks that was winning 50 plus games with (now Sue player) first rounder Jacob Bernard-Docker and a slew of older D-1 players.

Jake, I assume, will try to play Juniors with the Capitols (they own his rights) and try to develop his game to get a D-1 opportunity. I'm sure it's a dream to be a Badger, but he has work to do given the kinds of players they are recruiting.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                Jake, I assume, will try to play Juniors with the Capitols (they own his rights) and try to develop his game to get a D-1 opportunity. I'm sure it's a dream to be a Badger, but he has work to do given the kinds of players they are recruiting.
                That would seem to be a good idea. Take a year with the Caps and see what happens and see if a spot opens for him. Maybe walk on at that point.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  I am not a college hockey coach and haven't coached college athletics, but I have a college athlete son, coach high school Lacrosse, and have coached at various youth levels of baseball, lacrosse, and soccer. So it's what I've seen watching almost every single game this year and most every home game live. Does this make me an expert? No, not at all and I would never say that, but I watch with a coaches mentality.

The mental errors, stupid penalties, lack of defensive zone presence/blown coverage seems to not have improved. Special teams and faceoffs have been atrocious. I can live with the limited fire power on offense, but that means it's doubly important to have hard work and correct play on the defensive end. I can even live with a lackluster effort on certain games or for a period or two as hockey, like lacrosse, is a game of flow and runs.

The thing that gets me is the two largest crowds in the last two years were last year Saturday Minnesota and OSU this past weekend. Both of those games had a distinctive lack of effort when they should have been jacked to play those games and come out all guns blazing. Tony even called the second period Saturday, their worst of the year. That is a team and coach leadership issue and is very concerning.

Sorry for the long winded response.....
                  Boom.

Well said.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Holy smokes....

This is the sonic Boom!

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                      Holy smokes....

This is the sonic Boom!
                      Another good one, let's see if they all get coached up. That's our concern!
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                        Holy smokes....

This is the sonic Boom!
                        Remember when we were all drooling over the prospect of Massimo Rizzo? (Who is a terriffic player.) Well, Ryder is 12 spots higher on the Central Scouting mid term.

Lindmark is only 8 spots lower than Rizzo and is now the 5th best forward in next year's class. Crazy.

Have to rethink that top six for next year all over again.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Please please please please please please please just meet like... 65% of our expectations.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Feels freaking awesome to poach one from the sue finally after losing out on a couple guys under MM.

UW has 25 F on the radar for the 20-21 season.

Comment

That would seem to be a good idea. Take a year with the Caps and see what happens and see if a spot opens for him. Maybe walk on at that point.
                              FYI....UW Women from a few weeks ago...Laney Potter commits..D...Pittsburg Pens Elite U14......2023-2024. Thanks for the spreadsheets!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Feels freaking awesome to poach one from the sue finally after losing out on a couple guys under MM.

UW has 25 F on the radar for the 20-21 season.
                                I truly appreciate the recruiting spreadsheet, but I don't think you can extrapolate a "# of forwards in 20XX from it"

One difference between the way the spreadsheet is done now and how Chuck did it is there is no projection for guys leaving early, which I think needs to be changed as it paints a wildly inaccurate picture from what the coaches are thinking. Alex Turcotte is never going to be a Senior at UW, but according to the spreadsheet he will be. I also think the entry year for some guys is off. Nobody is going to get all that stuff right as it is always changing.

That being said, I think there will definitely be forward decommitments along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X