Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Welcome to Seawolf hockey, for the better part of 25+ years.
    Weíll be OK.
    Disappointed with our opening series @ ASU, but felt the boys overall have held their own vs SCSU, @Denver and last night @MSU. Three top ten teams and two of those series on the road. 0-6-1 doesnít look good but doesnít surprise me at all. We still have a chance for the upset tonight. And then we have the rest of the conference.

Go Nooks!
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Still looking for the first official win of the season. Getting 2 points in a game on the road is good, unless you did it by blowing another lead. If only we played in a league where you win by scoring the first goal of the game. We have scored first in 6 of the 9 games, the other 3 being we didnít score at all. Looking forward to a good 60 minutes of hockey tomorrow and 3 points!

3-1 LSSU after two tonight.
    LSSU has 3 pp goals.
    Compare the Laker pk and pp to our pk and pp.

We play the same crap pk we have been playing for years. We pack everybody inside the dots and let teams either work any set play they want, or sit back and act like sitting ducks. We do not pressure the puck and make everybody look good. I guess we we have no confidence in our goalie, or we admit that every team is higher skilled than we are.

The Lakers (and almost every other team) pressures the puck right out to the boards and forces bad or rushed passed. Our pp could hardly set up because every team we play pressures the puck. This is on the coaches imho.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    We pack everybody inside the dots and let teams either work any set play they want, or sit back and act like sitting ducks. We do not pressure the puck and make everybody look good. I guess we we have no confidence in our goalie, or we admit that every team is higher skilled than we are.

The Lakers (and almost every other team) pressures the puck right out to the boards and forces bad or rushed passed. Our pp could hardly set up because every team we play pressures the puck. This is on the coaches imho.
    What I have seen for the better part of 25+ seasons for the Seawolves.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Nanooks win 4-3
    The boys kept out of the box in the third and scored 3 unanswered goals.
    They flipped the switch in the third and took it to the Lakers most of the period.

Go Nooks!
    "Who got the Cup?"

Winner winner chicken dinner.

The Nooks drop the Friday night game 1-2 to MTU

The good news...we did not play a very good game (give some credit to MTU) but kept it close, and the winning goal was on a marginal 5 minute major. That's the breaks.

The bad news...we have an offense designed to get few shots on goal (we overpass all the frigging time and hardly ever dump and crash the net as the play breaks down). We have a defense designed to give up a lot a lot of shots (not necessarily good ones), and count on someone to clear the puck/rebound. When playing the better teams in the conference we just pass it around until they take it away, which doesn't take that long. We don't get as many pucks on net as we should. We donít work hard enough for rebound goals.

I look for a much better effort tomorrow.

Go Nooks!
    "Who got the Cup?"

The good news...we did not play a very good game (give some credit to MTU) but kept it close, and the winning goal was on a marginal 5 minute major. That's the breaks.

The bad news...we have an offense designed to get few shots on goal (we overpass all the frigging time and hardly ever dump and crash the net as the play breaks down). We have a defense designed to give up a lot a lot of shots (not necessarily good ones), and count on someone to clear the puck/rebound. When playing the better teams in the conference we just pass it around until they take it away, which doesn't take that long. We don't get as many pucks on net as we should. We don’t work hard enough for rebound goals.

I look for a much better effort tomorrow.

Go Nooks!
    I only watched the 3rd period, but I thought the Nanooks looked solid. It was a fast paced period. Good luck tomorrow!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I only watched the 3rd period, but I thought the Nanooks looked solid. It was a fast paced period. Good luck tomorrow!
    Agreed. They play hard. They'll be a tough out for almost anybody. But they need to know who they are. They aren't going to out-skate and puck handle around everybody. Take a page from the Bob Daniels play book...don't waste time cycling, get the puck on net from any angle and trust one of two of your teammates will be there crashing for a rebound.
    "Who got the Cup?"

sitting by the river lawdoggies's Avatar

Alaska really turned up the heat to start the 3rd period. Grigals was tough. Friday was a commemorative game for Tech, it will be interesting to see if they come out with the same jump tonight.

The good news...we did not play a very good game
    I like good news

The bad news...we have an offense designed to get few shots on goal (we overpass all the frigging time and hardly ever dump and crash the net as the play breaks down). We have a defense designed to give up a lot a lot of shots (not necessarily good ones), and count on someone to clear the puck/rebound. When playing the better teams in the conference we just pass it around until they take it away, which doesn't take that long. We don't get as many pucks on net as we should. We donít work hard enough for rebound goals.
    Me thinks..... Kid coach's play book is missing the one page to the puzzle you need for that style of play. You have to recruit Brobdingnagian Goaltenders. or that crap ain't going to work out......just sayin
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Blogger

The college hockey landscape is an interesting place. UMass has been down in the hockey east cellar for years, now they're 11-1 and considered one of the best teams in the country. 5-29-2 in 2016-17, 17-20-2 in 2017-18, and 11-1-0 thus far for 2018-19. Meanwhile, Boston College has been the perennial powerhouse of that conference for years, and have won, or tied for the conference title the last 3 seasons. They're 3-6-1 right now.

It's a long season, and change takes time.

While our second trip of 2018 to Houghton didnt have the results for the Nanooks I was hoping for, we still had tons of fun with some awesome friends white we were there. Even turned one into a Nanook fan for a night!

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    Even turned one into a Nanook fan for a night!
    I enjoyed being a 'Nook fan...although I chose the worse of the two nights to be a fan.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    I enjoyed being a 'Nook fan...although I chose the worse of the two nights to be a fan.
    As it turned out... Hope it wasnt the last time!

Congrats on the win last night. I watched on flo. That OT goal was sweet!
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Nanooks with the sweep!! Big 6-2 win tonight while being outshot in the process. Special teams was improved this week, though we still seem to play best at 5 on 5. Two for eight on the power play tonight, plus one a second after Ferris returned to full strength. The downside was giving up a power play goal each night along with a short handed goal in this game. Though the penalty kill sure did its job in the second period with almost 6 straight minutes of at least one Nanook in the box. It would be great to go into the break with four wins in a row, looking forward to the games with Lake State after taking five of six points a few weeks ago. Hoping that the injury to Leer is not serious!

Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Nanooks with the sweep!! Big 6-2 win tonight while being outshot in the process. Special teams was improved this week, though we still seem to play best at 5 on 5. Two for eight on the power play tonight, plus one a second after Ferris returned to full strength. The downside was giving up a power play goal each night along with a short handed goal in this game. Though the penalty kill sure did its job in the second period with almost 6 straight minutes of at least one Nanook in the box. It would be great to go into the break with four wins in a row, looking forward to the games with Lake State after taking five of six points a few weeks ago. Hoping that the injury to Leer is not serious!
    What happened to Leer? I was watching the game, but they didn't show a replay of what happened to him. Looked like a knee or a leg by the way he was helped off the ice. Didn't really see anything at the time that looked like it would cause an injury of that degree.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    What happened to Leer? I was watching the game, but they didn't show a replay of what happened to him. Looked like a knee or a leg by the way he was helped off the ice. Didn't really see anything at the time that looked like it would cause an injury of that degree.
    Heard that his skate caught the ice behind him, twisting his knee as he was trying to stop and then he went down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Heard that his skate caught the ice behind him, twisting his knee as he was trying to stop and then he went down on it.
    Hopefully it's sprained and nothing is torn. Didn't look good as he was carried off the ice. Leer would be a big loss for us.
    "Who got the Cup?"

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold

Nice recognition for the Nooks after a strong weekend!

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...eek-Alaska.php

Thread Information