Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 175

Thread: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

  1. #81
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Having Ice Dogs in town along with the HIPOW auction, it definitely contributed to the low attendance. Hoping for a better crowd since the 50/50 from the Ice Dogs was won last night! Haha

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Grigals getting the start tonight.

  3. #83
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Man. I really hope Iím proven wrong in thinking that itís gonna be a long season. The WCHA isnít fairing well in non-conference games so hopefully the Nooks can get things rolling once conference play starts.

    Need to find a better way to generate offensive chances, get better on the power play and continue to block shots. They looked great when sacrificing the body and blocking shots, great defensive effort there but it didnít continue throughout the night.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Call a spade a spade...we donít have the depth to go against a team like SCSU for 60 minutes. It wasnít for a lack of effort...the guys didnít quit and I thought they played pretty well, all things considered. But even Bruce and Erik, who are pretty big homers, commented on the broadcast that nobody knows where offense is going to come from after our first line. This is really the after effect of Strategic Pathways, which destroyed our recruiting and still has some lingering effects.

    Also doesnít help that Van Tetering and Staley are both out.

    But on the bright side, we might be looking at the Year of Marino. Once we get into the WCHA, if the compete level is what it is this weekend we will win some games.

  5. #85
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Donít push any panic button yet.
    ASU was big, fairly fast, had good goaltending, and we werenít prepared. They held their own against #1 Ohio State this past weekend.
    We were prepared for SCSU but again, they are fast, skilled and play a tough team defense. They are a top 5 team for a reason.
    Things arenít going to get much easier with Denver and MSU in the next two weeks.
    Being winless in October is no big surprise (was hoping for points at ASU). But after ASU Iím just thankful that we won't be scoreless in October.

    I think we will struggle with MSU and BG, but be competitive with everyone else. But if we donít get something going with our pp, we may end up losing more than our fair share of ďcompetitiveĒ games.

    Go Nooks!
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  6. #86
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,712

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Donít push any panic button yet.
    ASU was big, fairly fast, had good goaltending, and we werenít prepared. They held their own against #1 Ohio State this past weekend.
    We were prepared for SCSU but again, they are fast, skilled and play a tough team defense. They are a top 5 team for a reason.
    Things arenít going to get much easier with Denver and MSU in the next two weeks.
    Being winless in October is no big surprise (was hoping for points at ASU). But after ASU Iím just thankful that we won't be scoreless in October.

    I think we will struggle with MSU and BG, but be competitive with everyone else. But if we donít get something going with our pp, we may end up losing more than our fair share of ďcompetitiveĒ games.

    Go Nooks!
    I watched both games on flohockey. The Nanooks did an amazing job of sacrificing the body to block shots, but that can be dangerous. Did one of your players get injured on Friday night? I thought the Nanooks played two strong games, but the skill level of SCSU was very apparent. Most of their players are excellent puck handlers. I kept waiting for Walker to get a good hard check from the Nanooks, but it didn't happen. For once, I was actually rooting for UA_.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    As an aside, Bruce mentioned on the broadcast that Arizona State will make the trip to Fairbanks next season. Not sure if that was known already.

  8. #88
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I watched both games on flohockey. The Nanooks did an amazing job of sacrificing the body to block shots, but that can be dangerous. Did one of your players get injured on Friday night? I thought the Nanooks played two strong games, but the skill level of SCSU was very apparent. Most of their players are excellent puck handlers. I kept waiting for Walker to get a good hard check from the Nanooks, but it didn't happen. For once, I was actually rooting for UA_.
    Staley took a knee to the thigh and went down in the first I think. He skated for a minute or two but then left the bench and didn't return. Van Tetering must have been injured at ASU. Yea, we shouldn't kid ourselves, SCSU is talented and deep. The nice thing about hockey is if you can hang around you always have a chance. When SCSU went up by 2 Saturday night in the middle of the third (2-4), we lost intensity and it soon went to 2-6 on some poor coverage on our part. Our D has to stay focused because scoring won't come easy for us this year even in conference play.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    228

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Well we didnít lose, which is the best any WCHA team did tonight. But we should have won that game. Getting only shot that really wasnít even on net in the third period is not the way to keep a lead. But the power play was much improved this weekend, and there were plenty of chances with all the extracurriculars. Martinsson had a strong weekend, just not the best finish tonight. Looking forward to watching the Nanooks get their first win next week at Mankato.

  10. #90
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,712

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Well we didnít lose, which is the best any WCHA team did tonight. But we should have won that game. Getting only shot that really wasnít even on net in the third period is not the way to keep a lead. But the power play was much improved this weekend, and there were plenty of chances with all the extracurriculars. Martinsson had a strong weekend, just not the best finish tonight. Looking forward to watching the Nanooks get their first win next week at Mankato.
    I wish this game would have been on flohockey. Sounds like the Nanooks outplayed the Pioneers for most of the game! And it also sounded like DU pulled out a win very late in the third period. Still, it wasn't a loss, so congrats! DU is a tough opponent, especially in their barn, so this is a great sign for Nanook hockey.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    962

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    The young me would make snide comments about your goal scoring, the wiser me knows we should not finish with more goals scored than you.

    I guess Butcher is going to learn about his appeal mid season?

  12. #92
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    The young me would make snide comments about your goal scoring...
    Granted, we went scoreless at Arizona. The team was not mentally ready for NCAA play after putting up 13 goals on SFU. Since then we have played a couple teams that have been known to give teams a little trouble; SCSU and Denver. We have scored in each and every game, and more importantly, have been competitive in every game. Scoring wonít come easy for us this year, but weíll see what happens when we get past this string of top ten teams. Coming up is MSU, which may be our toughest test yet. They just got beat and we are on the back side of a two week road trip.

    On a positive note, we were 2/5 on the PP last night, which actually looked fairly decent for a change. And we were 5/5 on the PK. We need to stay out of the box against MSU, their PP is deadly.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  13. #93

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Interesting weekend of hockey. We should have won last night, but thatís proof you need to play 60 minutes, not 58. Hopefully thatís a lesson learned.

    The silver lining in this otherwise crappy start is they have been getting incrementally better each night out. Hopefully the guys donít take next weekend off at the end of the two week roadie.

    One thing we really need to tighten up is this habit of giving up goals in bunches. That seems to have happened every game this year; regardless if itís a goal for or against we seem to lose focus for a couple minutes after.

  14. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Granted, we went scoreless at Arizona. The team was not mentally ready for NCAA play after putting up 13 goals on SFU. Since then we have played a couple teams that have been known to give teams a little trouble; SCSU and Denver. We have scored in each and every game, and more importantly, have been competitive in every game. Scoring wonít come easy for us this year, but weíll see what happens when we get past this string of top ten teams.
    We also had a lead in all four games against SCSU and Denver. Our guys can play; they just need to learn how to put it all together.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    228

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Some really lame calls that have turned into 3 power play goals. We arenít doing much to score, but it should be a lot closer.

  16. #96
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,712

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Some really lame calls that have turned into 3 power play goals. We arenít doing much to score, but it should be a lot closer.
    Your guys had zero shots in the first and they have 5 shots with 11 minutes left in the 3rd. But it should be a lot closer? Ummm. Ok. If you say so.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  17. #97
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    0-4, but it wasnít that close. Almost to a man they are quicker and definitely more skilled. So the obvious strategy for us, 5x5 or pp, is to try and handle and/or over-pass the puck around in their zoneÖgeez. Someone better let the Nooks know if they get a lane get the puck on net and fight for any rebound or garbage you might find. We played hard 5x5 and gave up very little, but we had zero effort on offense. They had four pp goals but didnít really have to show off their pp passing skills. We continually let a man beat us down the slot on the entry rush for a weak side goal so they didnít really have to set up their pp. Regroup and make it a game tomorrow.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Your guys had zero shots in the first and they have 5 shots with 11 minutes left in the 3rd. But it should be a lot closer? Ummm. Ok. If you say so.
    Not going to win any games without getting shots, we were outskated all night. By the time we got the puck they had been out there too long and would dump the puck and change. Our penalty kill took a step back from last week for sure. 5 on 5 we played much better defense, just couldnít get anything going on offense.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Weíve played three top ten teams in three weeks. That should give some perspective. I just hope these guys stay together because itíll get easier from here on out.

    But tonight had to be some kind of record.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    962

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    0-4, but it wasnít that close. Almost to a man they are quicker and definitely more skilled. So the obvious strategy for us, 5x5 or pp, is to try and handle and/or over-pass the puck around in their zoneÖgeez. Someone better let the Nooks know if they get a lane get the puck on net and fight for any rebound or garbage you might find. We played hard 5x5 and gave up very little, but we had zero effort on offense. They had four pp goals but didnít really have to show off their pp passing skills. We continually let a man beat us down the slot on the entry rush for a weak side goal so they didnít really have to set up their pp. Regroup and make it a game tomorrow.
    Welcome to Seawolf hockey, for the better part of 25+ years.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •