Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
    I moved to Phoenix last summer... looking forward to seeing them play asu!

Lots of depressing news for Alaska hockey...
    Au contraire…

- Bruce’s retirement lasted about one week. He will be broadcasting both home and away games through KSUA.
    - With our new and youthful coaching staff, there is an air of excitement and enthusiasm among new and returning players.
    - Our games should be up-tempo and entertaining for sure… live by the sword, die by the sword.
    - Any budget worries are in the past. All the Governor candidates have said education is our future and promised we will have increased funding and services, no taxes let alone increased taxes, doubling of our PFDs and that we will build a gas pipeline and China will pay for it. What could go wrong?

I know Oceanside is a small practice rink similar to the Patty Rink with a capacity 750 or so. Between parents/family, and the number of retire/relocated interior Alaskans, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 Nook supporters at each game. My wife and I, and two other couples we hang with will be there. Alaskans are always looking for an excuse to spend a week or two in Arizona, and the games are just icing on the cake.

Go Nooks!

Comment

FloHockey?

I probably stream WCHA games more than most. I’m retired and enjoy sitting around sipping whiskey watching not only the Nooks play, but UAA getting their butts kicked, and other WCHA matchups. With the time difference, I can stream an afternoon game or two, and then head to a Nook home game later that evening.

But being old and retired I’m not the most tech savvy. I don’t need to have 24/7 streaming access on any mobile device I happen touch. I just want to watch a game or two on my desktop and drink whiskey.

Looks like will have to pay $150 for that privilege if I understand the FloHockey site. Either $29.99/month or $150 for the year. Either way it looks like around $150. There is no team specific or even per-game viewing options.

Curious what the quality will be given the disparity in infrastructure around the conference. It’s always easy to blame the rink.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        Au contraire…

- Bruce’s retirement lasted about one week. He will be broadcasting both home and away games through KSUA.
        - With our new and youthful coaching staff, there is an air of excitement and enthusiasm among new and returning players.
        - Our games should be up-tempo and entertaining for sure… live by the sword, die by the sword.
        - Any budget worries are in the past. All the Governor candidates have said education is our future and promised we will have increased funding and services, no taxes let alone increased taxes, doubling of our PFDs and that we will build a gas pipeline and China will pay for it. What could go wrong?

I know Oceanside is a small practice rink similar to the Patty Rink with a capacity 750 or so. Between parents/family, and the number of retire/relocated interior Alaskans, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 Nook supporters at each game. My wife and I, and two other couples we hang with will be there. Alaskans are always looking for an excuse to spend a week or two in Arizona, and the games are just icing on the cake.

Go Nooks!
        I suspect there will be a big Nanook contingent in Denver, too.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Koberstein named captain with Leer and Marino as the alternates!

Happy to see Marino recognized, he’s always a very positive presence!

Comment

FloHockey?

I probably stream WCHA games more than most. I’m retired and enjoy sitting around sipping whiskey watching not only the Nooks play, but UAA getting their butts kicked, and other WCHA matchups. With the time difference, I can stream an afternoon game or two, and then head to a Nook home game later that evening.

But being old and retired I’m not the most tech savvy. I don’t need to have 24/7 streaming access on any mobile device I happen touch. I just want to watch a game or two on my desktop and drink whiskey.

Looks like will have to pay $150 for that privilege if I understand the FloHockey site. Either $29.99/month or $150 for the year. Either way it looks like around $150. There is no team specific or even per-game viewing options.

Curious what the quality will be given the disparity in infrastructure around the conference. It’s always easy to blame the rink.
            You are correct. They do not have packages for individual teams - you have to purchase one package for $150 a year to watch all of the DI games across the nation. In case you are interested, here is the programming schedule:

https://www.flohockey.tv/events

They even have the UA_ game against Simon Fraser.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              You are correct. They do not have packages for individual teams - you have to purchase one package for $150 a year to watch all of the DI games across the nation.
              I think what we get for $150 is all mens and womens WCHA games, and some select BIG10 mens and womens games (and other non-hockey junk).
              I was just hoping for a little better priced package. But it is what it is. I"ll probably get my monies worth.

I'll be interested in the quality coming out of the Carlson. I'll have to test out their "on-demand" option.

Comment

Alaska Nanook Hockey – Blue & Gold Game 2018

Just a few from last night’s intra-squad scrimmage. I’m not in game shape yet.

Comment

I think what we get for $150 is all mens and womens WCHA games, and some select BIG10 mens and womens games (and other non-hockey junk).
                  I was just hoping for a little better priced package. But it is what it is. I"ll probably get my monies worth.

I'll be interested in the quality coming out of the Carlson. I'll have to test out their "on-demand" option.
                  There are a handful of NCHC games sprinkled in as well.
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

9th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches. Whatever.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Nooks paste Simon Fraser 13-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        Nooks paste Simon Fraser 13-1.
                        I watched most of the 3rd period on flohockey. Not too impressed so far with the service from flohockey. Hopefully it was something on the Fairbanks end, but the video was not smooth but rather a bit choppy. WCHA TV was better, IMO.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Hi Nanooks! I'm an ASU guy and wanted to welcome those coming in to our building this week. As mentioned above, our humble Oceanside holds about 750. It is not a great rink by any standard, but it is ours for the next two years, until our new place is built. Not sure if the folks traveling in have assigned sections, or will be GA. Normally the seating in the GA sections are first come, first served. So get there early as many of the seats come with some form of obstruction. This time of year it is usually not as cold inside, but sweatshirts are advised. We have concessions, but not much in terms of offerings. However, Mill Ave (short 10 min drive) or Tempe Marketplace (5 min drive) are close by and great places for food, shopping etc. We have seen a nice uptick in our recruiting, so we should be better on the ice this year. The student broadcast/journalism team will be doing a free web stream and that can be found on the ASU athletics site. It has been decent in the past, but it is a student broadcast, so it can be a mixed bag. But it is free of charge and they work really hard at it. Enjoy and best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I watched most of the 3rd period on flohockey. Not too impressed so far with the service from flohockey. Hopefully it was something on the Fairbanks end, but the video was not smooth but rather a bit choppy. WCHA TV was better, IMO.
                            The radio livestream wasn’t very good either. Lots of static.

But...better than nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
                              Hi Nanooks! I'm an ASU guy and wanted to welcome those coming in to our building this week. As mentioned above, our humble Oceanside holds about 750. It is not a great rink by any standard, but it is ours for the next two years, until our new place is built. Not sure if the folks traveling in have assigned sections, or will be GA. Normally the seating in the GA sections are first come, first served. So get there early as many of the seats come with some form of obstruction. This time of year it is usually not as cold inside, but sweatshirts are advised. We have concessions, but not much in terms of offerings. However, Mill Ave (short 10 min drive) or Tempe Marketplace (5 min drive) are close by and great places for food, shopping etc. We have seen a nice uptick in our recruiting, so we should be better on the ice this year. The student broadcast/journalism team will be doing a free web stream and that can be found on the ASU athletics site. It has been decent in the past, but it is a student broadcast, so it can be a mixed bag. But it is free of charge and they work really hard at it. Enjoy and best of luck!
                              From what I’ve heard the seating is GA. Word is there will be a hefty Nanook contingent in attendance. Wish I could make the trip down from Portland but I have way too much other travel in October already. Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                9th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches. Whatever.
                                Overrated........... Lucky You....
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X