Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Bruce Cech back on the radio call this season via KSUA. https://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/...19-season.aspx
    With UA money ........... he must get a big fat raise.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Bruce Cech back on the radio call this season via KSUA. https://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/...19-season.aspx
      Happy for Bruce. I hope UAA gets their games on the radio.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Very good news. KSUA makes a lot of sense.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

On a side note, I hear the WCHA is looking for a rink reporter at the Carlson Center this season.

I’d like to nominate Alaska Hockey.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            On a side note, I hear the WCHA is looking for a rink reporter at the Carlson Center this season.

I'd second that except I think he might be disqualified because English is not is native language (not that there is anything wrong with that)...

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

That has Ice Angel tatooed all over it.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                I'd second that except I think he might be disqualified because English is not HIS native language (not that there is anything wrong with that)...
                Fixed your post. Kinda ironic.
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

First practice was yesterday. Let’s get this party started.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/a-ne...c4effdcdb.html

Comment

Welcome to the new kids on the block. Enjoy the journey.

Comment

I still have too much time on my hands, so here is my approximate summary of last year’s conference stats. Approximate lost scoring is just a quick look at what last year’s seniors did. If teams lost other scoring studs then adjust accordingly. Returning goalies is just my best guess.

I expect UAF to be 9 in the polls. But as a die hard fan, I expect us to finish 7th or maybe 6th if goaltending doesn’t collapse and we improve on special teams. History shows (not just last year) that it is not a coincidence that combined special teams pretty much seals your fate.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        I still have too much time on my hands, so here is my approximate summary of last year’s conference stats. Approximate lost scoring is just a quick look at what last year’s seniors did. If teams lost other scoring studs then adjust accordingly. Returning goalies is just my best guess.

I expect UAF to be 9 in the polls. But as a die hard fan, I expect us to finish 7th or maybe 6th if goaltending doesn’t collapse and we improve on special teams. History shows (not just last year) that it is not a coincidence that combined special teams pretty much seals your fate.

I think this is better than a playoff-skipping team, but our defense, goaltending and special teams has to be improved. The last four games of last season (UAA, MSU playoffs) might have been the worst four game stretch I’ve ever seen for this team as far as letting pucks in the net, and the games prior to that weren’t a whole lot better. I think it’s a big reason why Lance wasn’t retained...this team was mostly a disaster on the ice after the Minnesota State shutout in January. We went from having a puncher’s chance at home ice to the last playoff spot and got completely trucked by MSU.

I go back to when Dallas first became coach and we established an identity as a team that busted our tails, defended hard, and played above our heads talent-wise. It earned us a trip to the CCHA semi’s and and NCAA tournament berth within two years. I think we are going to have to be something similar for the time being in order to be successful.

I am intrigued to see where Largen takes this program going forward. It seems like a fresh start is upon us after a few really crappy years. I like the coaching staff he has brought in, and if the University means business when it says it is committed to hockey and the program is “fully-funded”, I don’t think it’ll be long before someone starts whining about making a playoff trip to the far north.

But in the meantime, we have a hell of a schedule to start the season...Arizona State on the road, which won’t be easy. Then St. Cloud, at Denver, and at Minnesota State. Talk about getting thrown into the fire for a new coach and 10 new players.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          With UA money ........... he must get a big fat raise.
                          Bruce has to raise the funds for his travel and he is not getting paid for doing the broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            That has Ice Angel tatooed all over it.
                            Aside from a short stint I did for USCHO rink reporting YEARS ago, I don't see myself being qualified for it.

Thanks for thinking of me though

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.
                              I was on the last radio broadcast of UAH hockey in 2010 for our NCAA tilt with Miami. I was on the one before that in 2007 under the same circumstances. I was also a part of all of the significant previous broadcasts. Sadly, I don't have the time for it these days between a vastly increased workload and being married to a wonderful fellow NASA employee. We do not have broadcast coursework in communications here (it's all about rhetoric and leadership here), and I don't think that any of the area schools do it, either. Charger Hockey Radio was a business major and two aerospace engineering majors traveling around the country in a crappy sedan or by lowest-fare airline. It's a miracle that we never got in a serious bind making it to a game.

I'm glad that Bruce has another gig. We traded email last week about that very thing!

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I moved to Phoenix last summer... looking forward to seeing them play asu!

Lots of depressing news for Alaska hockey (not the person... but him too) in this thread

I had one of those sweet black jerseys but I’m pretty sure it’s lost forever. Anyone happen to have one they’re willing to part with (sell)? I do treasure my links to alaska.
                                Last edited by Methodical; 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM.
                                The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                                X