Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 175

Thread: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    I still have too much time on my hands, so here is my approximate summary of last year’s conference stats. Approximate lost scoring is just a quick look at what last year’s seniors did. If teams lost other scoring studs then adjust accordingly. Returning goalies is just my best guess.

    I expect UAF to be 9 in the polls. But as a die hard fan, I expect us to finish 7th or maybe 6th if goaltending doesn’t collapse and we improve on special teams. History shows (not just last year) that it is not a coincidence that combined special teams pretty much seals your fate.

    I think this is better than a playoff-skipping team, but our defense, goaltending and special teams has to be improved. The last four games of last season (UAA, MSU playoffs) might have been the worst four game stretch I’ve ever seen for this team as far as letting pucks in the net, and the games prior to that weren’t a whole lot better. I think it’s a big reason why Lance wasn’t retained...this team was mostly a disaster on the ice after the Minnesota State shutout in January. We went from having a puncher’s chance at home ice to the last playoff spot and got completely trucked by MSU.

    I go back to when Dallas first became coach and we established an identity as a team that busted our tails, defended hard, and played above our heads talent-wise. It earned us a trip to the CCHA semi’s and and NCAA tournament berth within two years. I think we are going to have to be something similar for the time being in order to be successful.

    I am intrigued to see where Largen takes this program going forward. It seems like a fresh start is upon us after a few really crappy years. I like the coaching staff he has brought in, and if the University means business when it says it is committed to hockey and the program is “fully-funded”, I don’t think it’ll be long before someone starts whining about making a playoff trip to the far north.

    But in the meantime, we have a hell of a schedule to start the season...Arizona State on the road, which won’t be easy. Then St. Cloud, at Denver, and at Minnesota State. Talk about getting thrown into the fire for a new coach and 10 new players.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  2. #42
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    With UA money ........... he must get a big fat raise.
    Bruce has to raise the funds for his travel and he is not getting paid for doing the broadcasts.

  3. #43
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    That has Ice Angel tatooed all over it.
    Aside from a short stint I did for USCHO rink reporting YEARS ago, I don't see myself being qualified for it.

    Thanks for thinking of me though

  4. #44
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    8,021

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    WHAT??? Never thought I would hear those words. I liked Bruce. Channel 11 news just aired a short interview of Bruce, and he said due to budget constraints the Nanooks will no longer have radio coverage (like UAA and UAH, he said). I was not aware that UAH didn't have radio coverage. Sad.
    I was on the last radio broadcast of UAH hockey in 2010 for our NCAA tilt with Miami. I was on the one before that in 2007 under the same circumstances. I was also a part of all of the significant previous broadcasts. Sadly, I don't have the time for it these days between a vastly increased workload and being married to a wonderful fellow NASA employee. We do not have broadcast coursework in communications here (it's all about rhetoric and leadership here), and I don't think that any of the area schools do it, either. Charger Hockey Radio was a business major and two aerospace engineering majors traveling around the country in a crappy sedan or by lowest-fare airline. It's a miracle that we never got in a serious bind making it to a game.

    I'm glad that Bruce has another gig. We traded email last week about that very thing!

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  5. #45
    Get of my lawn!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    462
    I moved to Phoenix last summer... looking forward to seeing them play asu!

    Lots of depressing news for Alaska hockey (not the person... but him too) in this thread

    I had one of those sweet black jerseys but I’m pretty sure it’s lost forever. Anyone happen to have one they’re willing to part with (sell)? I do treasure my links to alaska.
    Last edited by Methodical; 09-22-2018 at 01:44 PM.

  6. #46
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I moved to Phoenix last summer... looking forward to seeing them play asu!

    Lots of depressing news for Alaska hockey...
    Au contraire…

    - Bruce’s retirement lasted about one week. He will be broadcasting both home and away games through KSUA.
    - With our new and youthful coaching staff, there is an air of excitement and enthusiasm among new and returning players.
    - Our games should be up-tempo and entertaining for sure… live by the sword, die by the sword.
    - Any budget worries are in the past. All the Governor candidates have said education is our future and promised we will have increased funding and services, no taxes let alone increased taxes, doubling of our PFDs and that we will build a gas pipeline and China will pay for it. What could go wrong?

    I know Oceanside is a small practice rink similar to the Patty Rink with a capacity 750 or so. Between parents/family, and the number of retire/relocated interior Alaskans, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 Nook supporters at each game. My wife and I, and two other couples we hang with will be there. Alaskans are always looking for an excuse to spend a week or two in Arizona, and the games are just icing on the cake.

    Go Nooks!
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  7. #47
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    FloHockey?

    I probably stream WCHA games more than most. I’m retired and enjoy sitting around sipping whiskey watching not only the Nooks play, but UAA getting their butts kicked, and other WCHA matchups. With the time difference, I can stream an afternoon game or two, and then head to a Nook home game later that evening.

    But being old and retired I’m not the most tech savvy. I don’t need to have 24/7 streaming access on any mobile device I happen touch. I just want to watch a game or two on my desktop and drink whiskey.

    Looks like will have to pay $150 for that privilege if I understand the FloHockey site. Either $29.99/month or $150 for the year. Either way it looks like around $150. There is no team specific or even per-game viewing options.

    Curious what the quality will be given the disparity in infrastructure around the conference. It’s always easy to blame the rink.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Au contraire…

    - Bruce’s retirement lasted about one week. He will be broadcasting both home and away games through KSUA.
    - With our new and youthful coaching staff, there is an air of excitement and enthusiasm among new and returning players.
    - Our games should be up-tempo and entertaining for sure… live by the sword, die by the sword.
    - Any budget worries are in the past. All the Governor candidates have said education is our future and promised we will have increased funding and services, no taxes let alone increased taxes, doubling of our PFDs and that we will build a gas pipeline and China will pay for it. What could go wrong?

    I know Oceanside is a small practice rink similar to the Patty Rink with a capacity 750 or so. Between parents/family, and the number of retire/relocated interior Alaskans, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 Nook supporters at each game. My wife and I, and two other couples we hang with will be there. Alaskans are always looking for an excuse to spend a week or two in Arizona, and the games are just icing on the cake.

    Go Nooks!
    I suspect there will be a big Nanook contingent in Denver, too.

  9. #49
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,030

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Koberstein named captain with Leer and Marino as the alternates!

    Happy to see Marino recognized, he’s always a very positive presence!

  10. #50
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,715

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    FloHockey?

    I probably stream WCHA games more than most. I’m retired and enjoy sitting around sipping whiskey watching not only the Nooks play, but UAA getting their butts kicked, and other WCHA matchups. With the time difference, I can stream an afternoon game or two, and then head to a Nook home game later that evening.

    But being old and retired I’m not the most tech savvy. I don’t need to have 24/7 streaming access on any mobile device I happen touch. I just want to watch a game or two on my desktop and drink whiskey.

    Looks like will have to pay $150 for that privilege if I understand the FloHockey site. Either $29.99/month or $150 for the year. Either way it looks like around $150. There is no team specific or even per-game viewing options.

    Curious what the quality will be given the disparity in infrastructure around the conference. It’s always easy to blame the rink.
    You are correct. They do not have packages for individual teams - you have to purchase one package for $150 a year to watch all of the DI games across the nation. In case you are interested, here is the programming schedule:

    https://www.flohockey.tv/events

    They even have the UA_ game against Simon Fraser.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  11. #51
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    You are correct. They do not have packages for individual teams - you have to purchase one package for $150 a year to watch all of the DI games across the nation.
    I think what we get for $150 is all mens and womens WCHA games, and some select BIG10 mens and womens games (and other non-hockey junk).
    I was just hoping for a little better priced package. But it is what it is. I"ll probably get my monies worth.

    I'll be interested in the quality coming out of the Carlson. I'll have to test out their "on-demand" option.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  12. #52
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Alaska Nanook Hockey – Blue & Gold Game 2018

    Just a few from last night’s intra-squad scrimmage. I’m not in game shape yet.











    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  13. #53
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,715

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    I think what we get for $150 is all mens and womens WCHA games, and some select BIG10 mens and womens games (and other non-hockey junk).
    I was just hoping for a little better priced package. But it is what it is. I"ll probably get my monies worth.

    I'll be interested in the quality coming out of the Carlson. I'll have to test out their "on-demand" option.
    There are a handful of NCHC games sprinkled in as well.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    9th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches. Whatever.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Nooks paste Simon Fraser 13-1.

  16. #56
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,715

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Nooks paste Simon Fraser 13-1.
    I watched most of the 3rd period on flohockey. Not too impressed so far with the service from flohockey. Hopefully it was something on the Fairbanks end, but the video was not smooth but rather a bit choppy. WCHA TV was better, IMO.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    164

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Hi Nanooks! I'm an ASU guy and wanted to welcome those coming in to our building this week. As mentioned above, our humble Oceanside holds about 750. It is not a great rink by any standard, but it is ours for the next two years, until our new place is built. Not sure if the folks traveling in have assigned sections, or will be GA. Normally the seating in the GA sections are first come, first served. So get there early as many of the seats come with some form of obstruction. This time of year it is usually not as cold inside, but sweatshirts are advised. We have concessions, but not much in terms of offerings. However, Mill Ave (short 10 min drive) or Tempe Marketplace (5 min drive) are close by and great places for food, shopping etc. We have seen a nice uptick in our recruiting, so we should be better on the ice this year. The student broadcast/journalism team will be doing a free web stream and that can be found on the ASU athletics site. It has been decent in the past, but it is a student broadcast, so it can be a mixed bag. But it is free of charge and they work really hard at it. Enjoy and best of luck!

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I watched most of the 3rd period on flohockey. Not too impressed so far with the service from flohockey. Hopefully it was something on the Fairbanks end, but the video was not smooth but rather a bit choppy. WCHA TV was better, IMO.
    The radio livestream wasn’t very good either. Lots of static.

    But...better than nothing at all.

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
    Hi Nanooks! I'm an ASU guy and wanted to welcome those coming in to our building this week. As mentioned above, our humble Oceanside holds about 750. It is not a great rink by any standard, but it is ours for the next two years, until our new place is built. Not sure if the folks traveling in have assigned sections, or will be GA. Normally the seating in the GA sections are first come, first served. So get there early as many of the seats come with some form of obstruction. This time of year it is usually not as cold inside, but sweatshirts are advised. We have concessions, but not much in terms of offerings. However, Mill Ave (short 10 min drive) or Tempe Marketplace (5 min drive) are close by and great places for food, shopping etc. We have seen a nice uptick in our recruiting, so we should be better on the ice this year. The student broadcast/journalism team will be doing a free web stream and that can be found on the ASU athletics site. It has been decent in the past, but it is a student broadcast, so it can be a mixed bag. But it is free of charge and they work really hard at it. Enjoy and best of luck!
    From what I’ve heard the seating is GA. Word is there will be a hefty Nanook contingent in attendance. Wish I could make the trip down from Portland but I have way too much other travel in October already. Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast!

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,778

    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    9th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches. Whatever.
    Overrated........... Lucky You....
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.


    Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

    I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •