Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Once again flohockey is screwing up. I am trying to watch the UA_ game, but it isn't being aired. WCHA TV customer service always replied within 5 minutes to a customer support issue … with flo we are lucky to get a reply the next day.

Update: Got the game finally, after half of the first period was played.
    I got the same thing from BTN+ for a WMU-UM game. I can usually watch BTN+ games for free but I decided to pay 2 hrs before the game because I was having a UM friend over to watch the game. Of course, for some reason I get locked out of my account and of course BTN basically blows me off until the next afternoon. And then they tell me they won't give me a $15 refund. Well F U, I charged it back.
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

I don't know who this Joe Yates guy is but this dude has some video skills. Cool highlight reel from the BG win.

https://youtu.be/6z5dENog6G8
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Defenseman of the week for Tristan Thompson and another goalie honorable mention for Anton. He should get the award for the whole month though, as long as they don’t give it to someone just because they had more wins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
          Defenseman of the week for Tristan Thompson and another goalie honorable mention for Anton. He should get the award for the whole month though, as long as they don’t give it to someone just because they had more wins.
          Anton has won 4 of his 7 starts in January - he didn't start the first game against Northern Michigan, and didn't look particularly good statistically in game 2, although if you watch the highlights of that game, you'll see he didn't stand much of a chance on the goals that were scored. 2 power play goals, and another 5x3 power play goal allowed before the empty netter.

The game we got blanked on Friday in Bemidji, he did only allow 2 goals on 35 shots which is quite respectable .943 save percentage.

In January , he's made 202 saves and 11 goals allowed for a .948 save percentage and a 1.59 goals against average over those 7 games.

Perhaps more impressively, his January improved both goals against average and save percentage tremendously. At the end of 2018, he was 3.78 GAA / .881 SV% to now 2.84 GAA / .909 SV%.

He's had some tough breaks - there have been games he's looked great and the team tanked in front of him - first game against ASU, both games in Denver, second game in Mankato. The opposite is also true though, the team has looked good early on when Anton struggled (Saturday LSSU game at home). Hopefully the addition of Grigals pushes both of them to really improve. Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen Niko DellaMaggiore start at all this season. Obviously you start the guy that gives your team the best chance to win, and Martinsson is dialed in right now so I don't see a change happening anytime soon, but he's shown that he can handle games at this level.

On another note, over on Twitter, I'm counting down some of my favorite highlights of the Governor's Cup series over the recent years I can find video for. It's not a ranked thing or anything like that, but just a fun way to create some hype for the series coming up. The FaceOff Club is also giving away a pair of reserved seat tickets for both nights as well over on Facebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post

On another note, over on Twitter, I'm counting down some of my favorite highlights of the Governor's Cup series over the recent years I can find video for. It's not a ranked thing or anything like that, but just a fun way to create some hype for the series coming up. The FaceOff Club is also giving away a pair of reserved seat tickets for both nights as well over on Facebook.
            I always enjoy watching Nanook highlights, especially against the Seawolves! Looking forward to the rest! I may have to make a top five list of memories over on the gov cup thread. Anchorage fans could make a list also, they just may have to go farther back to complete the list. And yes, I know they still have a couple good moments in the last nine years, even without a trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
              I always enjoy watching Nanook highlights, especially against the Seawolves! Looking forward to the rest! I may have to make a top five list of memories over on the gov cup thread. Anchorage fans could make a list also, they just may have to go farther back to complete the list. And yes, I know they still have a couple good moments in the last nine years, even without a trophy.
              It's been pretty fun chatting with people going "Oh yeah, I totally remember that" and trying to find video. I think we all know what's going to be #1 next week, though...

Comment

New recruit - Jake Livingstone out of the BCHL. 1999 BY defenseman, 8th in the league in scoring. Big kid, with big offensive upside.

As far as the Cup goes, more highlight videos have gone up on my twitter. Only two left. Again, not a ranking, but number one might actually be number one...

Also a 1-on-1 interview with coach Largen going up soon, and some interviews with the seniors tomorrow.

Comment

Interview with Coach Largen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7pyhzd_HT4

Comment

Great response tonight after the shellacking on Friday. We may be back at Bowling Green in a few weeks, hoping the outcome in the playoffs is more like what we saw tonight.

Comment

Boy that 2nd period was ugly any way it's looked at.
                      Stay out of the box and it got closer.
                      Or did it?
                      The way we played last night I guess I shouldn't maybe comment on your game.

Comment

Another great bounce back after a bad showing on Friday. Second year in a row with a home shutout of Mankato, though a little more nerve racking than last years 5-0 win. Nice to see how the team looks when they play disciplined and stay out of the box. Exciting and tense game tonight, with a little more extra curricular activity at the end thanks to the game clock messed up. Hoping we can continue this type of play into anchorage next week! Thank you seniors! Go Nanooks!

Comment

I was all set for a playoff series at BG, thinking we had some success against the Falcons this year, including in their barn.

Then lo and behold we have to go to the black hole instead. At least we aren’t going back to Mankato.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Avoiding MSU and heading to NMU is somewhat like out of the frying pan and into the fire. From the recent games I’ve watched, they’re quick on their skates, with their sticks, and in their decision making. They turn up the ice quickly, make crisp quick passes and have skill players. They attempted more one-timers in the last game I watched then we have attempted all season. They give you no time to react.

I hope we play with a sense of urgency like we did against MSU Saturday night, and not how we looked against UAA. We’ll have to be a half second quicker with all passes and with all shot attempts. We need to get pucks low on net asap and work for rebounds. You won’t often beat Tolvanen with the first shot, so keep pucks low and crash the net. And no stupid unnecessary penalties.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Anton received the NCAA third star of the week for his performance against UAA.

Awesome!

Comment

Any Alaska fans coming to NMU for the playoffs?
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X