Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    I was under the impression that state houses wouldn't be relevant--that approval was entirely up to congress. Is that not correct?
    I tried researching it. It's way more complicated than it should be.

I had it stuck in my head that a new state needed:

1. A successful referendum of all eligible voters in the territory, and
    2a. A supermajority of the state legislatures or
    2b. A supermajority of the Senate

But I could be wrong. I tried to find it and... it's not in one simple place that I found. Weird.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

1. A successful referendum
      2a. A supermajority of the existing state legislatures or

But I could be wrong. I tried to find it and... it's not in one simple place that I found. Weird.
      My understanding has been that the constitution doesn't spell out the process beyond that it requires the approval of congress. I assume that would mean it's also up to each house to decide what level of approval would be needed. I'm sure there would be squealing from the GOP that it would need to be super majority, but personally I would be in favor of politely telling them to go **** themselves.

Comment

This is what I found for Alaska:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Statehood_Act
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Itch's maker can't send him to purgatory fast enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Itch's maker can't send him to purgatory fast enough.
              All it takes now is one good guy with his 2nd amendment right, no??
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                All it takes now is one good guy with his 2nd amendment right, no??
                Did I say that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Did I say that?
                  Did fade?
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Well at least Myopic Mitch is consistent.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Well at least Myopic Mitch is consistent.
                      No, no he's not. He's the biggest hypocrite that ever lived.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

1. A successful referendum of all eligible voters in the territory, and
                        2a. A supermajority of the state legislatures or

Isn't it all covered in the Northwest Territories Act (or something with that name)??
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It’s ok, as Joe Biden told us, it’s just a phase that will end when Donald Trump is gone!

Comment

No, no he's not. He's the biggest hypocrite that ever lived.
                            He blocked BHO & he'll block POTUS46. That is consistancy, isn't it?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The GOP isn't a political party, it's a terrorist organization. This is all we can expect of them which is why they need to be voted out from dog catcher to president.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The GOP isn't a political party, it's a terrorist organization. This is all we can expect of them which is why they need to be voted out from dog catcher to president.
                                Thanks, Rover.

Comment

Working...
                                X