Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
    I thought we are #4 seed and Quinny is #1 seed, no?
    Correct.. pending no upsets, Harvard and Quinny would play in the early semifinal, Cornell and Clarkson in the second..

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
      Correct.. pending no upsets, Harvard and Quinny would play in the early semifinal, Cornell and Clarkson in the second..
      When I checked the standings last Sunday, USCHO had Cornell first and Quinny second. So that was what I was going on. Agree that getting the Bobcats in the semis is preferred over Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        When I checked the standings last Sunday, USCHO had Cornell first and Quinny second. So that was what I was going on. Agree that getting the Bobcats in the semis is preferred over Cornell.
        I dunno about that. The Red went 0-1-1 against Q.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          I'm not crazy about seeing Dartmouth in the quarters again (assuming they get by SLU and that should be a cakewalk). I'd actually rather face Yale or Brown. Union not so much.
          You got Dartmouth; they won their game 3 8-zip, after losing a game 2 where they outshot SLU 60-20.

The Green seem to have picked precisely the right moment to figure it out, like Princeton did last year.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I dunno about that. The Red went 0-1-1 against Q.
            Huh??

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              You got Dartmouth; they won their game 3 8-zip, after losing a game 2 where they outshot SLU 60-20.

The Green seem to have picked precisely the right moment to figure it out, like Princeton did last year.
              We'll see. They came in hot last year too and we dispatched them once we woke up after Game 1. It won't be an easy series but I like our chances to move on to LP.

Comment

I wonder why the potential 3rd game is played at 4 PM. Anecdotally, I recall 7 PM games if the series went to Sunday. Travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                  I wonder why the potential 3rd game is played at 4 PM. Anecdotally, I recall 7 PM games if the series went to Sunday. Travel?
                  Travel doesn't seem to be an issue except for Yale-Clarkson. Quinny-Brown is relatively short in terms of travel. So is Harvard-Dartmouth. Cornell-Union doesn't seem onerous. So I don't know why the 4pm start time.

Comment

I sometimes wonder if getting the bye hurts more than helps Harvard. Case in point; tonight's game in which we looked like the Keystone Cops at times. Sloppy passing, falling down at inopportune moments, coughing up the puck in our zone, and too much individual play trying to break Dartmouth's neutral zone trap which resembled a basketball 2-3 matchup zone. It was really effective for the first 30 minutes.

Once the Green scored, it woke us up and our talent took over. Adam Fox's game winner was a thing of beauty - a great two on one with Colton Kerfoot and his feed to Fox who buried it.

Dartmouth had their chances to take control of this game but couldn't finish their opportunities. Gornet played very well for his first playoff game. The Badini line got badly outplayed and Teddy might want to rethink his forward combos for tomorrow night.

Surprising results from tonight's ECAC matchups. Brown beating Quinnipiac, Union beating Cornell. Hmm. That's two series that should go three.

Comment

Great series in playoffs type games which undoubtedbly will help you guys moving forward. You guys again were the better team in the series although not by much.
                      Good Luck in Placid and hopefully the big "Dance"!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        Great series in playoffs type games which undoubtedbly will help you guys moving forward. You guys again were the better team in the series although not by much.
                        Good Luck in Placid and hopefully the big "Dance"!
                        So last night's game was like getting root canal work for three hours. Painful to watch in so many ways. The icings, offsides, shooting the puck out of play (I counted at least 20 missed shots by Harvard over two games) and the incredibly sloppy passing and D zone coverage. I'll say this as a Harvard fan and alum; we don't deserve to go to Lake Placid. We were outcoached, outhustled, outworked (for the most part) and outskilled. We had too many passengers and not enough drivers. Case in point: Zerter Gossage was a beast on Friday, invisible on Saturday. Why? And why for the love of all things Crimson did we have two slow starts in a row? Didn't the team get the message after Friday's game? Or did the coaches fall asleep at the wheel? (and we need to hire someone to coach the D because we are putrid in our own zone). Any way you look at it, Dartmouth had as much right, maybe more, to advance.

The elephant in the room when you look back on this series was the reversal of the Dartmouth goal with 14 seconds left in the second period. They probably had a beef. As soon as I saw McDonald head to the review area, I knew the goal wasn't going to count. The hockey Gods giveth and they taketh away. Dartmouth got an overrule on Friday so I suppose it evened out. But you could argue that if the goal stood, we'd be playing today.

Oh well, on to Lake Placid. Will Union make it two upsets this weekend? We'll see...

Comment

Skate79 -

Think that assessment is a bit harsh.

- Zerter was playing with stomach flu and gutted it out on Sat night

- not sure why Baughnann is on PK and Walsh in his own zone is what it is

- harvard has more horses and talent than Dartmouth and that gap will widen next year given recruiting

- Drury, Bowlby, Dornbach Line needs to get going again. Stalled a bit.

- the interference on Dartmouth 4th goal was just that. He ran the goalie and Dartmouth was fortunate not to be penalized. Never had a chance to be a good goal

Big sheet at Placid here we come.

Comment

As per Coach Donato, LZG had a stomach flu. He was invisible because he wasn't on the ice for most of the second and all of the third.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              Skate79 -

- harvard has more horses and talent than Dartmouth and that gap will widen next year given recruiting

- the interference on Dartmouth 4th goal was just that. He ran the goalie and Dartmouth was fortunate not to be penalized. Never had a chance to be a good goal

Bothman,

You have always more talent (and will continue to do so) than BG so my point is the product on the ice has closed a bit; no more blow out games! Individual talent doesn't ensure success or you guys will be blowing us and other teams out all the time. And to your point about the non goal: - the interference on Dartmouth 4th goal was just that. He ran the goalie and Dartmouth was fortunate not to be penalized. Never had a chance to be a good goal. Come on... Fortunate not to be called penalty on Forman, please! It was a power move and hockey move going to the net as any forward would have done. Badini would have done the same thing! If anything you should blame Walsh who had Forman measured at the blueline but was beat too easily!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                Skate79 -

Okay so I didn't know that he had the stomach flu. His teammates still should have picked him up. I give him high marks for even suiting up.

As for the rest of my post, I'll stand by my comments. The team lacked urgency and played in spurts. That won't get it done next weekend. There was sloppiness and non adjustments that should have been made. This is not to disparage Dartmouth because they played hard and deserved to at least have played today.

Kudos to Michael Floodstrand for a great series as he was all over the ice and a constant thorn in Dartmouth's side. He showed leadership, energy and drive, something that was missing from some players wearing Crimson unis. And look, I'll give the frosh a pass because it was their first ECAC tournament. But things have to change next weekend if we are to capture the championship.

And I think Adam Fox tied Mark Fusco for most points by a Harvard D. Not sure but I was told that was the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X