NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Harvard has some real talent, but with their youth and the late start, they’re a raw mix right now. The breakdowns in coverage, poor decisions, and bad penalties will continue under this coaching staff. There’s not going to be a lot of structure, discipline, or clear, consistent communication coming from them. ( The most recent coaching staff addition is a total head scratcher. ) It's going to be free range hockey, and that’s great hockey to watch. Love this freshman class! Outstanding recruiting job by Teddy. The man can talk a dog off a meat truck-- his coaching is another deal.

Fox is such a special player, but for his own good I hope he’s gone after this season. He’s just wasting his time here now. Nothing left to prove, and his development will only stagnate sticking around. Being selfish, i’d love to see him stay, but I think developing his game to the fullest extent is more important. Defensive shortcomings aside, he can QB many NHL teams' PP right now. Carolina was smart to acquire his rights. For Teddy to be able to point out ex-Crimson doing well in The Show it has its recruiting advantages as well.

Bright ice surface was in mid-season form. My favorite thing: parking as easy as ever, and not too crowded
      in Bright itself, easy to get around. I like a big crowd but it comes with drawbacks. Tonight, I think Q had as many
      fans as we did, maybe more. No matter.

Keep it up boys, better results are around the corner.

Harvard beats Princeton by 2 tomorrow night.
      Coach: "Were you this #@&% slow when I recruited you??!!??"

Me: "I dunno...."

Coach: "I've GOT to quit drinkin' when I go to Alberta!!"

Comment

Quinnipiac makes statement, downs Harvard 5-3

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...ent-downs.html
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
          Quinnipiac makes statement, downs Harvard 5-3

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...ent-downs.html
          Wow thanks because I had no idea. Please stick to your own thread. The gloating really wears thin after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaRing View Post
            Harvard has some real talent, but with their youth and the late start, they’re a raw mix right now. The breakdowns in coverage, poor decisions, and bad penalties will continue under this coaching staff. There’s not going to be a lot of structure, discipline, or clear, consistent communication coming from them. ( The most recent coaching staff addition is a total head scratcher. ) It's going to be free range hockey, and that’s great hockey to watch. Love this freshman class! Outstanding recruiting job by Teddy. The man can talk a dog off a meat truck-- his coaching is another deal.

Fox is such a special player, but for his own good I hope he’s gone after this season. He’s just wasting his time here now. Nothing left to prove, and his development will only stagnate sticking around. Being selfish, i’d love to see him stay, but I think developing his game to the fullest extent is more important. Defensive shortcomings aside, he can QB many NHL teams' PP right now. Carolina was smart to acquire his rights. For Teddy to be able to point out ex-Crimson doing well in The Show it has its recruiting advantages as well.

Bright ice surface was in mid-season form. My favorite thing: parking as easy as ever, and not too crowded
            in Bright itself, easy to get around. I like a big crowd but it comes with drawbacks. Tonight, I think Q had as many

Agree that we have the talent but if we continue to have defensive breakdowns and so-so goaltending, we will go nowhere fast. It is more than puzzling that we are experiencing some eye popping gaffes in our own zone. Again, I'll say it, Paul Pearl will be and is missed. Yes we're young but that doesn't excuse giving up 12 goals in two games. Something isn't right here and they need to fix it and soon.

Comment

On a positive note, it seems like we have strong scoring ability - which may have been a worry after losing Donato and Pelton-Byce. They just need to figure out how to not give up 5-7 goals every game. This is very much a north-south team.

Comment

A few thoughts after last night's game:

1. Harvard's speed is impressive. We had a good amount of offensive zone time and our forecheck was superb. We created a number of opportunities and that bodes well going forward.

2. Gotta love the Drury line. They will cause havoc in the ECAC and will be a nightmare for opposing coaches. Dornbach got rewarded for his hustle last night - the kid is relentless.

3. I don't know who coached the penalty kill last night but whoever it was should be locked in a room for a week to review the two Princeton PPs which were essentially carbon copies. The first PP you could excuse by saying it was a great setup. But the second? How about some instruction between periods for spacing and taking that low man out so it doesn't happen again? And we need a goalie coach because Lackey simply isn't cutting it. He should have been covering that side well aware of what Princeton did on the first PP.

4. The coaches get an F for last night's game. Maybe for the weekend. Harvard is lazy and unstructured especially on D. The defense holds on to the puck way too long and makes careless plays. The Princeton shortie should never have happened except for the fact that the Crimson fell asleep and stopped skating. Too many 'soft' moments during the game where the team is mentally or physically or both disengaged. This can't continue or they'll finish 8th or 9th. And they have far too much talent to be that low in the standings.

5. The frosh are great - Rathbone is a stud in the making and Dornbach, Drury and Shore are the real deal. They will only get better with more playing time.

6. Good to see Justin Szeto get a shot. He gave the fourth line some energy and overall, they played well.

The team has a lot of work to do and we can see where Paul Pearl made such a difference for this program. Teddy is a great recruiter but his x's and o'x fall short and he needs someone he can lean on to put a structure and system in place that maximizes the talent he recruits. I'm not sure the new assistant head coach is the answer but it's early.

Onward and upward.

Comment

Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by PizzaRing View Post

By maintaining a firm belief in the value of education in its broadest sense, I realize these days I am in the minority, especially among fans of collegiate athletics. In my view suggesting Adam Fox is “. . . just wasting his time” at Harvard, (albeit perhaps true with respect to advancing his professional hockey career), discounts any potential a highly intelligent, motivated person can bring to any endeavor beyond the game which, at best will consume a small fraction of a young person’s active working life. Likewise, to suggest Adam has “Nothing left to prove, and his development will only stagnate sticking around” signals he has nothing to offer beyond the rink. If this were remotely true of any promising athlete they would not, nor should expect, to attend Harvard. A Harvard education can and should be transformative and is designed to open many doors, certainly not just one that is as ephemeral and low odds as professional sports. I really hope Adam stays for four years as I wished Ryan had and Jimmy Vesey, Alex (Biega, Kerfoot, Killorn), Kyle Criscuolo, Sean Malone, Wiley Sherman, Tyler Moy, Colin Blackwell, Dominic Moore and many other professional players have done. Dean of Admissions, William Fitzsimmons’ (a former Crimson hockey Goalie) team selects great all around student athletes who succeed in class and their sport and they do a terrific job.

BTW, I apologize if I appear too strident and opinionated. I recognize everyone has different valid perspectives. I can’t contribute much to discussions on hockey strategy, but this is a good conversation to have while debating our shared overriding imperatives: Beat Yale, Beat Cornell, win the Beanpot, the ECAC and NCAA — Go Crimson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by HUJFKLINE; 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    A few thoughts after last night's game:

1. Harvard's speed is impressive. We had a good amount of offensive zone time and our forecheck was superb. We created a number of opportunities and that bodes well going forward.

2. Gotta love the Drury line. They will cause havoc in the ECAC and will be a nightmare for opposing coaches. Dornbach got rewarded for his hustle last night - the kid is relentless.

3. I don't know who coached the penalty kill last night but whoever it was should be locked in a room for a week to review the two Princeton PPs which were essentially carbon copies. The first PP you could excuse by saying it was a great setup. But the second? How about some instruction between periods for spacing and taking that low man out so it doesn't happen again? And we need a goalie coach because Lackey simply isn't cutting it. He should have been covering that side well aware of what Princeton did on the first PP.

4. The coaches get an F for last night's game. Maybe for the weekend. Harvard is lazy and unstructured especially on D. The defense holds on to the puck way too long and makes careless plays. The Princeton shortie should never have happened except for the fact that the Crimson fell asleep and stopped skating. Too many 'soft' moments during the game where the team is mentally or physically or both disengaged. This can't continue or they'll finish 8th or 9th. And they have far too much talent to be that low in the standings.

5. The frosh are great - Rathbone is a stud in the making and Dornbach, Drury and Shore are the real deal. They will only get better with more playing time.

6. Good to see Justin Szeto get a shot. He gave the fourth line some energy and overall, they played well.

The team has a lot of work to do and we can see where Paul Pearl made such a difference for this program. Teddy is a great recruiter but his x's and o'x fall short and he needs someone he can lean on to put a structure and system in place that maximizes the talent he recruits. I'm not sure the new assistant head coach is the answer but it's early.

Onward and upward.
                    Agree. Not sure if coaching or our general weakness on the left side of the D. But the PP goals were terrible. The Left D (Baughmann) needs to know where he is on the ice and where the Princeton forward is when we are on the PK.

With the youth we have on this team in key positions, there are going to be growing pains and some bad decision making. But the younger players are a joy to watch and they are going to be very tough for opposing teams to deal with over time.

Harvard also has a heralded goalie coming in next year (Mitchell Gibson). While I do expect Lackey and Gornet to improve, I don't ever expect us to have the shut down goalie you need to make a run. And while Lackey was better on Saturday than he was against Dartmouth, he still needed to make some more saves. I wonder if Donato will give Schaeding (Frosh) a look in goal?

As for Pelton-Byce, will he come back and play next year (assuming his academics improve) or have we seen his last game at Harvard?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      Agree. Not sure if coaching or our general weakness on the left side of the D. But the PP goals were terrible. The Left D (Baughmann) needs to know where he is on the ice and where the Princeton forward is when we are on the PK.

With the youth we have on this team in key positions, there are going to be growing pains and some bad decision making. But the younger players are a joy to watch and they are going to be very tough for opposing teams to deal with over time.

Harvard also has a heralded goalie coming in next year (Mitchell Gibson). While I do expect Lackey and Gornet to improve, I don't ever expect us to have the shut down goalie you need to make a run. And while Lackey was better on Saturday than he was against Dartmouth, he still needed to make some more saves. I wonder if Donato will give Schaeding (Frosh) a look in goal?

As for Pelton-Byce, will he come back and play next year (assuming his academics improve) or have we seen his last game at Harvard?
                      I'm not sure what the solution is, but Harvard's given up 16 goals in 3 games. While our offensive production is strong, it's sad to think that if we could have figured out a way to give up just one less goal in regulation against Dartmouth and Princeton, we'd be 2-1 instead of 0-2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
                        By maintaining a firm belief in the value of education in its broadest sense, I realize these days I am in the minority, especially among fans of collegiate athletics. In my view suggesting Adam Fox is “. . . just wasting his time” at Harvard, (albeit perhaps true with respect to advancing his professional hockey career), discounts any potential a highly intelligent, motivated person can bring to any endeavor beyond the game which, at best will consume a small fraction of a young person’s active working life. Likewise, to suggest Adam has “Nothing left to prove, and his development will only stagnate sticking around” signals he has nothing to offer beyond the rink. If this were remotely true of any promising athlete they would not, nor should expect, to attend Harvard. A Harvard education can and should be transformative and is designed to open many doors, certainly not just one that is as ephemeral and low odds as professional sports. I really hope Adam stays for four years as I wished Ryan had and Jimmy Vesey, Alex (Biega, Kerfoot, Killorn), Kyle Criscuolo, Sean Malone, Wiley Sherman, Tyler Moy, Colin Blackwell, Dominic Moore and many other professional players have done. Dean of Admissions, William Fitzsimmons’ (a former Crimson hockey Goalie) team selects great all around student athletes who succeed in class and their sport and they do a terrific job.

BTW, I apologize if I appear too strident and opinionated. I recognize everyone has different valid perspectives. I can’t contribute much to discussions on hockey strategy, but this is a good conversation to have while debating our shared overriding imperatives: Beat Yale, Beat Cornell, win the Beanpot, the ECAC and NCAA — Go Crimson!

I don't think that Pizza was referring to Adam's off the ice life at Harvard when he said he was wasting his time. He was pointing out that Adam is good enough now to run an NHL PP and that alone should make him feel good about his prospects at the next level. What Adam does with his time away from the rink presumably is to keep his grades up and enjoy being a junior at Harvard. I don't know this for sure but if he thought Harvard was not the place for him, he would have left after his freshman season. Fact is that Calgary who owned his rights at the time was stacked with young D.

I think Ryan Donato is finding out that life in the NHL is a lot tougher than he imagined even with his Dad to give him advice and guidance. You can't blame him for leaving but staying to finish his senior season I think would have allowed him to continue to refine parts of his game that are absent at the moment. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Comment

Harvard needs to get its goaltending figured out (positioning is horrendous as is the rebound control) and get Badini off of the 4th line (what a waste!). Also, what is with Harvard's PK? I have never seen such a passive box from a Harvard team (especially since Harvard has some real speed), basically allowing Yale to set up and pass the puck without pressure. Is this because of Harvard's goaltending challenges?

Walsh had a really tough game and his needless turnover in his own zone resulted in a gimme Yale goal.

Any point on the road against Yale has always been tough (even for great Harvard teams), but this is fairly pedestrian Yale team and I thought Harvard took its foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd period (stopped skating and really cycling the puck and moving it on the PP - don't think Harvard got one shot off on that last PP).
                          Last edited by bothman; 11-10-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Harvard needs to get its goaltending figured out (positioning is horrendous as is the rebound control) and get Badini off of the 4th line (what a waste!). Also, what is with Harvard's PK? I have never seen such a passive box from a Harvard team (especially since Harvard has some real speed), basically allowing Yale to set up and pass the puck without pressure. Is this because of Harvard's goaltending challenges?

Walsh had a really tough game and his needless turnover in his own zone resulted in a gimme Yale goal.

Any point on the road against Yale has always been tough (even for great Harvard teams), but this is fairly pedestrian Yale team and I thought Harvard took its foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd period (stopped skating and really cycling the puck and moving it on the PP - don't think Harvard got one shot off on that last PP).
                            We have yet to play 60 minutes of hockey with any sort of consistency. I've outlined the flaws from the first three games in previous posts and it seems like some were repeated last night. Coaching is part of what's wrong at the moment and Teddy needs to figure this out quickly or the season will be lost. Two games coming up against Cornell including the Madison Square tilt so there are no gimmes ahead (maybe ASU but who knows?). Hopefully we can begin the turnaround tonight at Meehan.

Comment

We have yet to play 60 minutes of hockey with any sort of consistency. I've outlined the flaws from the first three games in previous posts and it seems like some were repeated last night. Coaching is part of what's wrong at the moment and Teddy needs to figure this out quickly or the season will be lost. Two games coming up against Cornell including the Madison Square tilt so there are no gimmes ahead (maybe ASU but who knows?). Hopefully we can begin the turnaround tonight at Meehan.
                              1st period was not great, but team played real well in the 2nd. Definitely will be a better and more fun team to watch this year. Hopefully Bowlby just misses Brown and is back next weekend against Top 5 ASU.

Walsh / Olsen D pairing needs to tighten things up, but lots of good things from this team tonight.

Lackey played well. He was too deep in the cage on Brown’s 1st goal, but settled in and played well.
                              Last edited by bothman; 11-11-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I don't think that Pizza was referring to Adam's off the ice life at Harvard when he said he was wasting his time. He was pointing out that Adam is good enough now to run an NHL PP and that alone should make him feel good about his prospects at the next level. What Adam does with his time away from the rink presumably is to keep his grades up and enjoy being a junior at Harvard. I don't know this for sure but if he thought Harvard was not the place for him, he would have left after his freshman season. Fact is that Calgary who owned his rights at the time was stacked with young D.

I think Ryan Donato is finding out that life in the NHL is a lot tougher than he imagined even with his Dad to give him advice and guidance. You can't blame him for leaving but staying to finish his senior season I think would have allowed him to continue to refine parts of his game that are absent at the moment. I'm sure he'll figure it out.
                                Thank you for your sensible comments. I too have been thinking about Ryan’s situation. While the demotion to Providence has to be difficult, I hope the extra ice time and close coaching will position him well going forward. We
                                Know he has NHL skills, but perhaps needs his confidence boosted.

Comment

Working...
                                X