X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
    Bothman,

You have always more talent (and will continue to do so) than BG so my point is the product on the ice has closed a bit; no more blow out games! Individual talent doesn't ensure success or you guys will be blowing us and other teams out all the time. And to your point about the non goal: - the interference on Dartmouth 4th goal was just that. He ran the goalie and Dartmouth was fortunate not to be penalized. Never had a chance to be a good goal. Come on... Fortunate not to be called penalty on Forman, please! It was a power move and hockey move going to the net as any forward would have done. Badini would have done the same thing! If anything you should blame Walsh who had Forman measured at the blueline but was beat too easily!
    - "Walsh in his own zone is what it is" - I called out Walsh who was beat there cleanly and never should have been.

- The Dartmouth player shot the puck and then continued to drive forward and through Gornet - it was a power move, but one that can be done without running the goalie. That is a penalty at every level of hockey (including the NHL). Gornet was taken out and not given a chance to go back and make the stop on the rebound. If you can't see that, then I'm sorry. The play the night before was the right call. The Harvard player rammed into Gornet and so rightly so, that was no goalie interference and Dartmouth got the goal which it deserved. The lengthy review hurt Dartmouth by the way and that was a tough break.

-

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      - "Walsh in his own zone is what it is" - I called out Walsh who was beat there cleanly and never should have been.

- The Dartmouth player shot the puck and then continued to drive forward and through Gornet - it was a power move, but one that can be done without running the goalie. That is a penalty at every level of hockey (including the NHL). Gornet was taken out and not given a chance to go back and make the stop on the rebound. If you can't see that, then I'm sorry. The play the night before was the right call. The Harvard player rammed into Gornet and so rightly so, that was no goalie interference and Dartmouth got the goal which it deserved. The lengthy review hurt Dartmouth by the way and that was a tough break.

-
      I am not disputing whether it was a goal or not; I am still 50/50 on it. I am disputing your suggestion that it should have been a penalty. Let's reset: Forman gets a stretch pass from Yau while stationary, he goes forehand/backhand to beat Walsh to the outside. Having a step he now drives almost parallel to the net with Walsh on his right shoulder. Forman tries a to go wider to maybe give him more options as such as going beyond the near post to open up the five hole or even going far post because Gornet had the near post covered. He tries a maybe stuff shot the Gornet stops. The way he was striding and shooting, it would have been very hard for Forman to stop. As far as a call in any league, it would be non penalty and a blown whistle if Dartmouth gained an advantage with the puck right afterwards with a face off ensuing. They just happen to score on this play. Also you know and I know that Badini, Bowlby, etc would have done exactly the same thing. That's hockey and a hockey play within that. I am also sorry that you do not see this!

Comment

Sorry Harvard. Because of lack of fan support you have been replaced in next weekend's Beanpot at the Garden by UMass. Seriously though the Pairwise Probability Matrix has both Harvard and Cornell at 95% chance of making the NCAA Tournament. 10 teams are at 100% followed by the two of you. Looks like losing and a lot of surprise autobids is the way you lose out. Good luck!!

Comment

Congratulations to Adam Fox for being named ECAC POY and for being a finalist for the Hobey.

Comment

I haven't posted here in a while, but I just have to get this off my chest: who's dumb idea was it to start Lackey tonight against Clarkson? I know he was our starter, but a single-elimination playoff game isn't where you bring back a goalie who hasn't played in weeks to get his timing back and shake off the rust. I'm curious to see what they do if they make the NCAA's. Congrats to the Golden Knights -- take it to Cornell tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by agarcia View Post
              I haven't posted here in a while, but I just have to get this off my chest: who's dumb idea was it to start Lackey tonight against Clarkson? I know he was our starter, but a single-elimination playoff game isn't where you bring back a goalie who hasn't played in weeks to get his timing back and shake off the rust. I'm curious to see what they do if they make the NCAA's. Congrats to the Golden Knights -- take it to Cornell tomorrow.
              I would guess Donato, there is no Paul Pearl to talk him out of a dubious decision like that. Clarkson is clearly the superior team, was ready to play from the start and has an outstanding goaltender, which I cannot remember Harvard having back to Tripp Tracy. Gornett is no great shakes either, gives up many rebounds and watched a puck sail over his head into the goal without trying to stop it, but has played recently. Fox did all he could, not enough talent offensively. Good luck to Clarkson, but a disappointing end to the season..

Comment

Credit to Clarkson, but Harvard didn’t even showw up thru 2 periods.

But this Harvard team has overachieved this season. I never expected a NCAA berth which is very, very likely,even though most likely as a #4 seed.

Lots to build on, including 3 frosh on the All ECAC team. Love the trajectory of this team.

Comment

I have to say I have not seen a better offensive defenseman than Fox. Hope he turns pro. What a phenomenal player.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                    I would guess Donato, there is no Paul Pearl to talk him out of a dubious decision like that. Clarkson is clearly the superior team, was ready to play from the start and has an outstanding goaltender, which I cannot remember Harvard having back to Tripp Tracy. Gornett is no great shakes either, gives up many rebounds and watched a puck sail over his head into the goal without trying to stop it, but has played recently. Fox did all he could, not enough talent offensively. Good luck to Clarkson, but a disappointing end to the season..
                    I agree that Gornet hasn't actually been outstanding, but he was playing regularly which makes a difference. Also, I highly doubt he even knew where that puck was that sailed over his head before it was too late. Just an unfortunate deflection. Not sure why everyone's talking like the Crimson was lucky to even be in that game because they had plenty of opportunities to score and carried the play for long stretches. It was an even game as far as play from my point of view -- they just couldn't cash in on their chances while things seemed to ricochet in Clarkson's favor.

Comment

Congrats on a fine first season but now the more important second one begins! I say this again which many beg to differ. Missing Donato hurts and it did hurt. Harvard may be an overall better team but who will score in crunch time when needed and it played out last night. And don't tell me Fox or Rathbone as you cannot depend on D's scoring all the time. Not only that but Donato also instills fear in his O zone and as good as ZG , Drury, Dornbach are, they are not Donato.

As mentioned earlier Fox is an offensive stud; he is flat out toying (with respect of course) with the opposition. Actually, I think he has improved his play in the D zone.

Good Luck in the big Dance!

Comment

Time to re group and get after it! I would say start Gornet in goal but have your D core and team D make a more conscious effort in protecting the "house" a little better/more with him in there. Also your forwards have to step up and finish on some of those Grade A chances. Your strength is your PP so they special teams have to be in the plus column. Good Luck travel partner and IVY colleague!

Comment

Good luck to Harvard and all the ECAC in the NC$$.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rumor has it that Fox is returning to Harvard for senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              That would be huge for them.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                I have mix feelings on this from two different ends. First it is great for Harvard, Ivy, ECAC, and college hockey that a player of his caliber returns for his final year of school. I am sure degree and unfinished business on the ice factors in, maybe even the Hurricanes(???). But it sucks for the NHL and Hurricanes if he does not end of signing with them. While it is great to have options as a player, Fox was drafted by Calgary (I believe) and traded to Carolina. Think of it as a swap for Hanifin and Fox. Hurricanes gets left at the altar with nothing, zippo! In my opinion, this is a way of circumventing the system. But again kudos to Fox for his decision to return!

Comment

Working...
                                X