Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Bothman. You are correct. I was sitting next to Paul Stewart of the ECAC and asked him. Only disqualifacation carries an automatic suspension.
    There is another caveat to that though: You are suspended if it's your 3rd game misconduct in a year. However, I don't believe that's the case here.

Comment

Bowlby gets called for hooking, gets back on the ice and immediately gets another call for hooking. The mindless penalties this team takes is an indication they are not going very far this year.
      Last edited by Crimson Faced; 02-05-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
        Bowlby gets called for hooking, gets back on the ice and immediately gets another call for hooking. The mindless penalties this team takes is an indication they are not going very far this year.
        I'm not sure what happened on Monday with the penalties because this team is one of the least penalized teams in the nation (I believe around 8 mins of penalties per game) which I think puts them in the Top 5 for least penalized teams in the NCAA. Nonetheless, I think most of us similarly feel that there are too many holes this year to make a real run at a ECAC tourney and NCAA berth (not enough experience in key positions, not enough quality forwards so you end up with 2 forward lines who can score consistently, not enough difference makers to tilt the ice in 5v5 hockey, etc).

I also think Donato should have sent messages earlier in the season to guys (sitting for a game, etc), but the lack of depth makes this hard. For example:
        - How many give-aways does Walsh have in his own end where the puck ends up in the back of the next. Dartmouth's first goal last week is Exhibit A where he made a foolish outlet pass where Harvard went down 1-0. He also struggled to get back into position on BC's game winning goal in the Beanpot
        - Bowlby should sit on Friday vs Union for taking those dumb and selfish penalties against BC

I think there needs to be more consequences related to poor decisions because it breeds the mindset that a winning team needs to do the right things that translate to winning consistently.

That all said, I like Harvard's trajectory and I think they will continue on the upswing through the rest of this year (not enough to make a difference) and going forward next year. This year, they are definitely better than last year and though there will be questions next year (Lackey gone, Fox likely gone, etc) - I think Harvard will be much better and deeper offensively.
        Last edited by bothman; 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I thought the first hooking call on Bowlby was shady. The second call, it looked like he might have wanted to show the Official what a REAL hook looked like.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            I'm not sure what happened on Monday with the penalties because this team is one of the least penalized teams in the nation (I believe around 8 mins of penalties per game) which I think puts them in the Top 5 for least penalized teams in the NCAA. Nonetheless, I think most of us similarly feel that there are too many holes this year to make a real run at a ECAC tourney and NCAA berth (not enough experience in key positions, not enough quality forwards so you end up with 2 forward lines who can score consistently, not enough difference makers to tilt the ice in 5v5 hockey, etc
            Regarding the penalties, I thought that at one time a 5 minute boarding penalty and a game misconduct got you a seat in the stands for the next game. In fact I'm sure of it because back in the 80's, Kevan Melrose was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct and had to sit the next game. Rules must have changed. What troubles me is the lack of discipline and accountability. Two boarding penalties in consecutive games - where are the coaches on this? You simply can't have this as a team if you expect to do any damage in March.

I also think Donato should have sent messages earlier in the season to guys (sitting for a game, etc), but the lack of depth makes this hard. For example:
            - How many give-aways does Walsh have in his own end where the puck ends up in the back of the next. Dartmouth's first goal last week is Exhibit A where he made a foolish outlet pass where Harvard went down 1-0. He also struggled to get back into position on BC's game winning goal in the Beanpot
            - Bowlby should sit on Friday vs Union for taking those dumb and selfish penalties against BC

I think there needs to be more consequences related to poor decisions because it breeds the mindset that a winning team needs to do the right things that translate to winning consistently.

That all said, I like Harvard's trajectory and I think they will continue on the upswing through the rest of this year (not enough to make a difference) and going forward next year. This year, they are definitely better than last year and though there will be questions next year (Lackey gone, Fox likely gone, etc) - I think Harvard will be much better and deeper offensively.
            Reilly has struggled in his own zone and you have to wonder if they are working with him on this aspect of his game. This is something that troubled the Devils at their summer camp two years ago (from a friend who knows a Devils scout). I don't like pairing him with Marino - two right hand shots on a D pairing? Again, if the coaches think this will solve the problem, I think they are sadly mistaken.

Agree there needs to be a whole lot more accountability. There isn't much leadership on this team. And why is Krushko playing when he has clearly regressed since his freshman season?? Isn't Perrault supposed to be a better option? Do we really lack for depth? Have to believe something else is going on here.

Comment

Walsh’s pass to Dornbach for Harvard’s 4th goal was filthy.

So Monday vs BU st the Beanpot. Does this game mean anything for BU who likely has to win Hockey East to get in? Harvard still has shot at at large bid so let’s see if Harvard shows up like it has something to play for.

Comment

Walsh’s pass to Dornbach for Harvard’s 4th goal was filthy.

So Monday vs BU st the Beanpot. Does this game mean anything for BU who likely has to win Hockey East to get in? Harvard still has shot at at large bid so let’s see if Harvard shows up like it has something to play for.
                BU is 26th in the Pairwise and is not ranked in the Top 20. So yeah, they have to win the HE tournament to have a chance. Not likely.

We have one more ranked opponent on the schedule (Clarkson). Other than that, it's win as much as you can, get to the ECAC tournament final and hope for the best. I don't think the Crimson have to win the tournament but getting to the finals would certainly help their cause.

Comment

Looks like Harvard got the memo that the BU game mattered. On to the North Country!

Comment

Yes, they played hard the whole game, glad to see it.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      Regarding the penalties, I thought that at one time a 5 minute boarding penalty and a game misconduct got you a seat in the stands for the next game. In fact I'm sure of it because back in the 80's, Kevan Melrose was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct and had to sit the next game. Rules must have changed. What troubles me is the lack of discipline and accountability. Two boarding penalties in consecutive games - where are the coaches on this? You simply can't have this as a team if you expect to do any damage in March.

Reilly has struggled in his own zone and you have to wonder if they are working with him on this aspect of his game. This is something that troubled the Devils at their summer camp two years ago (from a friend who knows a Devils scout). I don't like pairing him with Marino - two right hand shots on a D pairing? Again, if the coaches think this will solve the problem, I think they are sadly mistaken.

Agree there needs to be a whole lot more accountability. There isn't much leadership on this team. And why is Krushko playing when he has clearly regressed since his freshman season?? Isn't Perrault supposed to be a better option? Do we really lack for depth? Have to believe something else is going on here.
                      I agree...

Perrault must be deep in Donato's doghouse, maybe Solin too?
                      Were they Paul Pearl recruits?

How do the following players stay in the lineup each game?
                      While those 2 sit out...

Krusko (1 goal in 23 games/top lines/pp),
                      Deveaux (1 goal in 17 games/top lines/pp),
                      Shore (2 goals 23 games/top lines/pp),
                      Kerfoot (2 goals 23 games/top lines/pp),
                      Szeto (0 points in 11 games, but is only allowed 4th line time),
                      Murphy (1 goal in 13 games, played some 2nd/3rd line and pp) (Family friends/Donor)
                      Donato (Goes without saying why he has been given every possible opportunity)

Rotate these guys out a few games and see if it lights a fire under their ***.

Replace any of those guys with Solin or Perrault (on the same line/ice time) and they would manage to score as many goals. Hell just getting to the front of the net could get 1 goal on a deflection.
                      Same with Szeto, only gets 4th line time getting maybe 3 minutes total ice time a game. Your not going to get any points doing that.

meh..

Comment

Tight race in the ECAC as we come down the stretch. Four points separating second place from seventh. Should be some great hockey in the next couple of weeks.

Not thrilled that it took until the third period to win last night's game but we always seem to struggle up in Canton.

We're now #12 in the pairwise ahead of UMass Lowell who has beaten Massachusetts twice this year including when the Minutemen were #1 in the country. Hard to imagine how that happens but trying to parse the Pairwise gives me a popsicle headache.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Generally poor play at Clarkson with too many turn overs and lack of coordination was topped by a serious right knee injury to Lackey in goal. Does not bode well for the coming weekend against a rising Brown team and an always difficult game v Yale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
                            Generally poor play at Clarkson with too many turn overs and lack of coordination was topped by a serious right knee injury to Lackey in goal. Does not bode well for the coming weekend against a rising Brown team and an always difficult game v Yale.

I thought Harvard played well and showed fight, but you are right, too many careless plays to win on the road against a good team.

I hope that Lackey is ok.

Comment

I thought Harvard played well and showed fight, but you are right, too many careless plays to win on the road against a good team.

I hope that Lackey is ok.
                              Is it the same knee that Lackey hurt originally in his freshman year? If so, yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                                Is it the same knee that Lackey hurt originally in his freshman year? If so, yikes!
                                I thought the injury that kept him out an entire season was to his hip where he had surgery.

Comment

Working...
                                X