Union College: 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

For anyone who is interested, recruit for this fall, Dylan Anhorn, is playing in the Canadian National Junior A Championships for the Prince George Spruce Kings. It is a round robin tournament and today's game is free on Hockey TV.

Comment

Made it to the annual golf outing and dinner. Some members of the 2014 Championship team were there including the "Ghost" (I think). Jack Adams looks like he has grown an inch or two. The dinner was a sellout. Lots of locals are big supporters of the team. Thank you !!! We are blessed to have them. Coaches positive about our recruits for next year but did not elaborate. Rumor we have Northeastern for two and BU for one next year, all in Schenectady. The fan talk is about rebuilding. (.500) would be great and talk of 7/8 place may be more realistic. Hope is that Hanson can keep us in the thick of things until the recruits come up to speed. Our new president seems to be "stepping in it" with his comments about free speech. Hard to convince "baby boomers" whose generation forcefully protested everything and everyone, that students should not have freedom of speech because it might hurt someone's feelings. Oh well .... you get what you pay for.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Patrick Roy is interviewing for Ottawa Senators' open head coach position, per today's Ottawa Sun.

Comment

From another website it appears that the ECAC schedule is set:
          Nov 8 vs Clarkson
          9 vs St Lawrence
          15 @ Quinnipiac
          16 @ Princeton
          22 open
          23 open
          Dec 6 vs Brown
          7 vs Yale
          Jan 3 @ St Lawrence
          4 @ Clarkson
          10 vs Colgate
          11 vs Cornell
          17 @ Yale
          18 @ Brown
          24 open
          25 open
          31 vs Harvard
          Feb 1 vs Dartmouth
          7 open
          8 open
          14 @ Cornell
          15 @ Colgate
          21 vs Princeton
          22 vs Quinnipiac
          28 @ Dartmouth
          29 @ Harvard

I think this is reasonably accurate. Does anyone have anything else to add?

Comment

I think this is reasonably accurate. Does anyone have anything else to add?
            The Ottawa head coaching job has been filled. Lehman stays at Providence, Bennett stays at Union, Mayotte and Barr stay home with neither coming to Schenectady.

Comment

Two bits of news:

Josh Jooris agreed to terms on a three-year contract with Swiss club Lausanne.

Spencer Foo signed a contract with HC Kunlun Red Star of the KHL, with an eye on playing for Team China in the 2022 Olympics.

Comment

Harold R. Moore Sophomore Athletic Prize
                Presented to a sophomore male athlete for attitude, ability participation and achievement in intercollegiate sports.
                Darion Hanson (Men's Hockey)
                Hanson started a team-leading 28 games in goal as a sophomore, backstopping Union to a 13-10-5 record in his appearances with a 2.33 goals against average and .919 save percentage. A four-time ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Week and November's ECAC Hockey Goalie of the Month, he was named the Friendship Four Most Valuable Player after making 70 saves against Yale University and Boston University. His three shutouts this year are tied for fourth in the school's D-I single-season list.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Commencement on June 16th. The class of 2019. All nine hockey student-athletes (Greg Campbell, Mark Dufour, Jake Kupsky, Cole Maier, Brett Supinski, Brendan Taylor, Ryan Walker, Joe Young and Sebastian Vidmar) leave Union with a GPA over 3.0. Huge shoes to fill.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Daily Gazette
                    Monday, July 1, 2019
                    SPORTS
                    https://dailygazette.com/article/201...ut-not-in-goal
                    Many questions for Union men's hockey, but not in goal
                    Hanson will carry a heavy load for a team that lost nine seniors; Union opens Oct. 5 at home against BU

Complete Schedule

In general, that class won't just be big in numbers, but also in physical stature -- none of the incoming recruits are under 6-feet -- with some speed added to the lineup, too. Bennett said the key question will be how quickly whatever skill they bring to the table will show itself.

It will also be interesting to see how team chemistry develops, he said, after a season in which the coaching staff perhaps relied too heavily on the senior class.

The Dutchmen had an up-and-down 20-13-6 season in which they swept Colgate in the first round of the ECAC Hockey playoffs before losing a best-of-3 in three games at Cornell in the quarterfinals.

"That [chemistry] is a big component to be a successful team, and I think it took us too long to find that," Bennett said. "I hate to say it, but we didn't get there until about February. I wish we had another 10 games. We had spurts of it, like in Belfast, but we never generated a ton of momentum, and that comes from the staff, and me.

"We'll try some different things next year, and they did a great job in the spring with that. Maybe we relied on that class too much. But we learned a ton this year, maybe moreso than any other year that I've been here, as far as team chemistry. We had a real big class, and they're seniors, and maybe we [coaches] deferred too much to it."

Home Games in CAPS

MEN

October

5 -- BOSTON UNIVERSITY, 4; 6 -- at Army, 4; 11 -- NORTHEASTERN, 7; 12 -- NORTHEASTERN, 7; 18 -- at Massachusetts, 7; 19 -- at Massachusetts, 7; 25 -- RPI, 7; 26 -- at RPI, 7.

November

1 -- at Canisius, TBA; 2 -- at Canisius, TBA; 8 -- CLARKSON, 7; 9 -- CLARKSON, 7; 15 -- at Quinnipiac, 7; 16 -- at Princeton, 7.

December

6 -- BROWN, 7; 7 -- YALE, 7; 13 -- MERRIMACK, 7; 28 -- TD Bank Catamount Cup at Vermont, TBA; 29 -- TD Bank Catamount Cup at Vermont, TBA.

January

3 -- at St. Lawrence, 7; 4 -- at Clarkson, 7; 10 -- COLGATE, 7; 11 -- CORNELL, 7; 17 --- at Yale, 7; 18 -- at Brown, 7; 25 -- vs. RPI at Mayor's Cup, 6; 31 -- HARVARD, 7.

February

1 -- DARTMOUTH, 7; 14 -- at Cornell, 7; 15 -- at Colgate, 7; 21 -- PRINCETON, 7; 22 -- QUINNIPIAC, 7; 28 -- at Dartmouth, 7; 29 -- at Harvard, 7.

---
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Season tickets just went on sale. Just got mine in section "M" with the rest of the diehard fans. Prognosis is not good for next year but who knows. I would put us somewhere in the bottom half of the ECAC with the hope that our new crop of Dutchmen can give us hope for some post season by March. We are in of recent 2-0 vs BC, 3-3-1 vs BU and 2-0 vs Northeastern. We face off vs BU and Northeastern in Schenectady and visit UMASS for two and I think we have Vermont in there somewhere. We have gone from an unknown to a respected hockey program around Boston these past 5-6 years. Hard earned and well deserved.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

This year's schedule isn't bad though I always end up wishing there was another home game or two. One good thing is no crazy long stretches between home games like we've seen in a couple recent years.

Comment

Awful news....

Jack Adams has "completely torn" his ACL & MCL in his right knee. He reported the injury himself on his Instagram. Adams was at Red Wings developmental camp.

John Buccigross reports surgery is in a month.

Adams was third in scoring last year among players expected back this coming year.

Here's hoping for a full recovery.....

Comment

RPI fan here: injuries suck and I wish Jack the best in his recovery.

In Buccigross's initial tweet he said "Former Union Dutchman" and "had planned on returning to Union for junior season". Then, he deleted that tweet and posted the current one likely because he was not supposed to reveal that. Unfortunately, I would assume that he signed with Detroit, maybe because they want to control the rehab

Comment

New recruit:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../josh-phillips

Comment

College Hockey Inc. doesn't list Garrett Nieto as committed to Union anymore. He has vanished from the list. Does anyone know anything? Maybe they have found a grad transfer to come in and share the load with Hanson? According to EP, Nieto only played 6 games last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X