Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2018-2019

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
    College Hockey Inc. doesn't list Garrett Nieto as committed to Union anymore. He has vanished from the list. Does anyone know anything? Maybe they have found a grad transfer to come in and share the load with Hanson? According to EP, Nieto only played 6 games last year.
    I believe Nieto suffered a serious injury early last season, hence the six games played. But he's still listed here: https://www.collegecommitments.com/D...cq9=-434566495

I'm not sure how a grad transfer would work with Union since its grad school merged into Clarkson a few years ago. I can't think of Union having any grad transfers in recent (10 years) memory.

Comment

Heisenbergs list still has Nieto committed.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

I noticed that Nicolas Petruolo, who is commited to Union for 2019, was just picked by Green Bay in the first round of Phase II of the USHL draft.
        Does that mean he is not coming this year?
        Or that he probably will start college, but he is so good that a USHL team used a first round pick on him just in case he changes his mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Another Province View Post
          I noticed that Nicolas Petruolo, who is commited to Union for 2019, was just picked by Green Bay in the first round of Phase II of the USHL draft.
          Does that mean he is not coming this year?
          Or that he probably will start college, but he is so good that a USHL team used a first round pick on him just in case he changes his mind?
          Neutral Zone has him coming to Union in 2020. I wouldn't be worried just yet.

Comment

This is an interesting read.

https://unionathletics.com/news/2019...er-update.aspx

Comment

Tyler Hynes was named head coach of the NCAA Division III Wilkes University men's hockey team.
              https://dailygazette.com/article/201...acadam-on-show
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Liam Morgan has left Union after two seasons to sign with the Belfast Giants: https://www.belfastgiants.com/2019/0...our-champions/

He would have been the top returning scorer.

Between this, and Adams blowing his knee out, this has been a horrendous offseason for the program. It was going to be a tough offseason even without those things considering a large graduating class.

Comment

It looks like this may be Morgan's replacement. Cohen's a former Trinity (D3) commit. I suppose it's hard to find someone at this late date.

https://generals.nahlleague.hockeyte...-union-college

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                    Liam Morgan has left Union after two seasons to sign with the Belfast Giants: https://www.belfastgiants.com/2019/0...our-champions/

He would have been the top returning scorer.

Between this, and Adams blowing his knee out, this has been a horrendous offseason for the program. It was going to be a tough offseason even without those things considering a large graduating class.
                    Bad news .... very bad news. Not sure it can get any worse.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 08-02-2019, 11:01 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

He joins Bobby Farnham, Brown '12 who left AHL Springfield to sign with Belfast. I can see Farnham signing with Belfast but surprised by Morgan. Thought he would try an ECHL team if he were going to leave U.

Comment

Union has finally announced its incoming class - and it's a big one at 12 players.

https://unionathletics.com/news/2019...J-tRhxbifzvbyY

On first glance, one name that is a surprise is Chaz Smedsrud. I don't think I've ever seen him associated with Union in the past - not on Heisenberg, not on College Commitments.

So, 9 seniors graduated. Morgan left. That's 10. Is Adams redshirting?

I wonder what other surprises the roster (not out yet) might have? Blake Heyward is someone I've wondered about after this was written in the Gazette back in March:

Another freshman, forward Blake Hayward, was in the lineup for the first three games, but that was it, and Bennett said it was a coach's decision, not an injury, so "we'll just have to wait and see where he stands within this program."
                        Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                          On first glance, one name that is a surprise is Chaz Smedsrud. I don't think I've ever seen him associated with Union in the past - not on Heisenberg, not on College Commitments.
                          Heisenberg lists him in his old (2019) list under Union as of 8/1/19.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Last year we were 20-13-6, 12-3-3 at home and 10-10-2 in the ECAC. We scored 112 goals.
                            If my numbers are correct we are losing players (including Adams and Morgan, who contributed 24 goals in total) who scored 67 of those 112 goals and returning players who score 39 (Rinaldi 11, Estes, Foo and Harrison, 5 each .... ) or about 35% of last year's goal scoring. We are returning 7 defensemen and picking up two. The coaching staff really has their work cut out for them. I don't see this coming year as anything other than rebuilding and could be the worse year we have had in some time.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 08-13-2019, 04:10 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Expectations last year were not overly optimistic, yet the Dutchmen hit the 20 win mark. What's on paper does not always translate into results, good and bad. The Union staff has cultivated a reputation for developing players as well as any in the country. Yes, on paper Union looks like a dubious candidate for success given the losses incurred through graduation, injuries, and departures. Every team is subject to similar vicissitudes at one point or another. Bennett & Co. are among the best dealing with them.
                              What remains a bit puzzling is the seemingly slow progress in getting the renovation of Achilles underway. With the team's now well established reputation for success, one would think that fundraising would have ignited quickly. Perhaps there is talk of building a brand new rink, which may make more sense. Whatever, the team's best interests would be well served by a decision sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                                Expectations last year were not overly optimistic, yet the Dutchmen hit the 20 win mark. What's on paper does not always translate into results, good and bad. The Union staff has cultivated a reputation for developing players as well as any in the country. Yes, on paper Union looks like a dubious candidate for success given the losses incurred through graduation, injuries, and departures. Every team is subject to similar vicissitudes at one point or another. Bennett & Co. are among the best dealing with them.
                                What remains a bit puzzling is the seemingly slow progress in getting the renovation of Achilles underway. With the team's now well established reputation for success, one would think that fundraising would have ignited quickly. Perhaps there is talk of building a brand new rink, which may make more sense. Whatever, the team's best interests would be well served by a decision sooner than later.
                                I have to disagree with part of this. Expectations were pretty high going into last season. In 2017-18, Union finished second in the league with a 16-5-1 record. Going into last year, pretty much everyone of significance was back except for Ryan Scarfo who had graduated. Instead of building upon that season with a large senior core, Union floundered to a 10-10-2 record in league play. Going into last year, the expectation was at least getting back to Lake Placid and maybe winning a game in the NCAA tournament. Neither happened. Last year was one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory for Union.

What I agree with is fixing up Messa Rink, which is a woefully inadequate facility to house two Division I hockey programs. It's a 45-year-old facility designed for a D3 team. Fan amenities are not good. Pretty much nothing has been said publicly about the renovations in quite some time. At one point, they had wanted to a $10-12M expansion/renovation of it. Meanwhile, plans have been announced to fix up Cheel and Appleton, and Colgate's new rink is only a few years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X