Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Maltese Falcon - I hated every person in this book. Had never read it before (or seen the movie). The role of women in the book was very... dated (as I would expect, given when it was written). Maybe it was that the guy who was reading it made them sound even more helpless and annoying. p.s. Sam Spade has blonde hair in the book.
    I love the book and the movie. I never liked Mary Astor's performance in the movie until I finally read the book and understood she was doing a perfect execution of Brigid. And she is anything but helpless.

Obviously the portrayal of women is not in fashion with this year's hemlines.

I recommend the movie. It follows the book well (though it is very cleaned up -- the implied sex is completely removed) and the casting is superb.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I love the book and the movie. I never liked Mary Astor's performance in the movie until I finally read the book and understood she was doing a perfect execution of Brigid. And she is anything but helpless.

Obviously the portrayal of women is not in fashion with this year's hemlines.

I recommend the movie. It follows the book well (though it is very cleaned up -- the implied sex is completely removed) and the casting is superb.
      Brigid was obviously not helpless, but not likable either. Spade was probably the most likable... and I still didn't like him, but I did like that he let Brigid get what was coming to her.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Listening to an audiobook where the narrator is horrible. Her speech patterns are terrible. The story is good but I might not make it
        That can kill a book. Right now I am listening to a scholarly book about Hegel and the narrator insists on using a comical Burgermeister Meisterburger accent whenever a German is quoted. It's incredibly off putting.

Even worse are narrators who mispronounce words and/or are obviously too stupid to understand what they're reading. Audible is typically good but some of the other outfits have zero quality control.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

also, listened to the Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal. Really enjoyed it. Good story and interesting characters I could relate to (especially as someone from the Midwest). The narrator did a terrible job with the supposed Minnesota accents, though. Way too over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            Brigid was obviously not helpless, but not likable either. Spade was probably the most likable... and I still didn't like him, but I did like that he let Brigid get what was coming to her.
            Brigid is a thoroughly horrible person; that's her charm. My only real objection to the movie is Sam is too good. The driver of the psychodrama is it should be wrenching for Sam to do the right thing in the end. In the book you get at least some feeling of Sam's corruption but Bogie's version is so honorable that Sam's decision is obvious.

In the book everybody stinks because it's a bad business in a bad town. That is the grimy feeling of the genre. An antihero is genuinely supposed to be a shnook. We are used to characters like Han Solo who are practically waiting to be redeemed. The only genuinely bad, and thus interesting, antihero I've seen in the last 50 years or so is Nicholson's character in Five Easy Pieces.
            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              That can kill a book. Right now I am listening to a scholarly book about Hegel and the narrator insists on using a comical Burgermeister Meisterburger accent whenever a German is quoted. It's incredibly off putting.

Even worse are narrators who mispronounce words and/or are obviously too stupid to understand what they're reading. Audible is typically good but some of the other outfits have zero quality control.
              Every time I listened it would take me 10 minutes to get in the rhythm (or lack of it). There was no change between sentences, questions, statements or anything. Like listening to someone reading a bunch of words with no punctuation. Worse was when she would say things that were the end of a section like there was no change. She also had a horrid British accent. Lived over there when I was a kid so that was even more grating. Like a cartoon character. The only time she got it right was when she was speaking the part of the Scottish maid. Then, for no explainable reason, things had punctuation and the correct inflection.

Comment

The Girl Who Lived Twice - latest in the Millennium series - enjoyable enough. I was surprised by the ending. I still don't think Lagercrantz really "gets" Lisbeth. Is this the last one? The end of the book seemed like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                  The Girl Who Lived Twice - latest in the Millennium series - enjoyable enough. I was surprised by the ending. I still don't think Lagercrantz really "gets" Lisbeth. Is this the last one? The end of the book seemed like it.
                  I remember hearing Steig Larsen had outlines for 9 books. If I’m remembering correctly.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                    I remember hearing Steig Larsen had outlines for 9 books. If I’m remembering correctly.
                    I think there were urban legends of multiple manuscripts, but as I recall he really only left one behind and his girlfriend had possession of it. I don't think any of Lagercrantz' work is based off of anything Larsen wrote, other than just the basic characters.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

just read Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I found it interesting not only for the history of the Soviet nuclear industry and detailed analysis of the accident and its aftermath, but also for a glimpse into how the Soviet state operated. If you've seen the HBO series, which obviously was dramatized, this book is entirely based in facts obtained from interviews the author conducted as well as material that was declassified after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Comment

About to start A Farewell to Arms after months of it sitting on my shelf. I tend to like his short stories but not his novels, so we'll see.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I'm in the midst of the Scott Adams trifecta:

How to Lose at Almost Everything and Still Win Big
                          Win Bigly
                          Loserthink
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Just listened to Magnus Chase by Rick Riordan. YA book that was surprisingly engaging. (He did the Percy Jackson series).

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              just read Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I found it interesting not only for the history of the Soviet nuclear industry and detailed analysis of the accident and its aftermath, but also for a glimpse into how the Soviet state operated. If you've seen the HBO series, which obviously was dramatized, this book is entirely based in facts obtained from interviews the author conducted as well as material that was declassified after the breakup of the Soviet Union.
                              A few weeks ago I read a book on the event that was the precursor to this, ‘The Great Halifax Explosion.’ It’s one of the better nonfiction books I’ve ever read and it has a college hockey connection which makes it even better. I knew of the event before reading it, but the whole story was a lot more interesting than I would have thought. The book gives some context to Don Cherry’s remarks too.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I've been looking for another book to read, and this sounds like right up my alley. It's close enough to Black Friday, though, and while I detest participating in that event, sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. I only make a couple of purchases from Amazon a year; I build a list, then make a big purchase, in general. I figure in 2 weeks, I will pull the trigger on a purchase.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X