Another Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

I finished Joan Williams' White Working Class. I'd love to know what somebody from the, ya know, working class thinks of it. It checks out with my experiences at work.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I finished Joan Williams' White Working Class. I'd love to know what somebody from the, ya know, working class thinks of it. It checks out with my experiences at work.
      Well?

Kepler is from the working class.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Well?

Kepler is from the working class.
        I'm just here to observe. A Dickensian/Gilbert-and-Sullivan temporarily misplaced heir. Any day that helicopter's going to appear on the horizon with the lawyer, the will, the deeds. What's keeping it?

I dunno where I belong, but it aint with you people.
        Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2019, 02:56 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Finished The Signature of All things by Elizabeth Gilbert
          Not my usual style but I thought it was really good. Interesting little factoids about early America, the Dutch in trade, Evolution theory, etc.

Comment

My Year in Books from Goodreads... suffering through 7 months of post concussion symptoms definitely affected my numbers. Last year, I read 194 books.

I read 23,304 pages across 69 books

SHORTEST BOOK
            81 pages - No Honor Among Thieves by J.A. Jance

LONGEST BOOK
            581 pages - The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand

AVERAGE LENGTH 337 pages

MOST POPULAR
            563,403 people also read Educated by Tara Westover

LEAST POPULAR
            42 people also read ScandiKitchen Christmas: Recipes... by Brontë Aurell

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2019 - 3.3

HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS
            Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond - 4.48 average

Comment

Have gone through a lot of WWII historical fiction lately (lots of spies/resistance stuff)... best of the bunch was The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. Couldn't put it down.

Comment

Recent reads

The Abduction by Mark Gimenez This was a pretty good book about an old Vietnam Vet who is living alone drinking to forget the horrors of war. He is forced to reenter society when his granddaughter is kidnapped and he must unite with his estranged son to try and save her. Not quite as good as Gimenez’s later novels.

Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho #8) by Alexander Kent Another very good Bolitho book which finds him commanding a ship between the American Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars to go to the Far East. One of his former captains is the ambassador and he finds himself fighting against French Mischief targeting them.

Rattlesnake Crossing (Joanna Brady #6) by J.A. Jance Another pretty good Joanna Brady series. For the second book in a row her daughter is absent for much of the book and their is more focus on police work. When investigating a bunch of dead cattle they find several murdered people and the sheriff and her team must search for the killer before the whole county gets into a panic.

The Generals of Saratoga: John Burgoyne and Horatio Gate by Max M. Mintz Growing up near Saratoga I have been to the battlefield numerous times including the reenactment on the 225th anniversary. I picked up the book as I am currently reading books on Revolutionary War figures and there is not a bio of either Gates or Burgoyne. This tells the story of the two men’s lives. It’s interesting that they once served together in the same British unit. The main thrust of the story is the lead up and battle at Saratoga. Pretty good read.

The Two Swords (Hunter's Blades #3) by R.A. Salvatore The conclusion of this Drizzt trilogy leaves one a bit lacking. All 3 books have really been one big battle campaign with the Orcs and their allies attempting to rout the dwarves out of the mountain home. It does introduce some new characters that will hopefully stick around but really doesn’t have the questing part in the book as Drizzt is separate from his companions for most of the 3 book set.

Attack at Daylight and Whip Them: The Battle of Shiloh, April 6-7, 1862 by Gregory A. Mertz I received this book when I donated money to help the American Battlefield Trust save land at Shiloh. I think this would have been most helpful if I was driving the battlefield which I was not. That being said it was a very good overview of the battle and the command decisions made. The next time I go visit the battlefield I will bring it along.

The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22) by Michael Connelly Another solid Bosch/Ballard novel with a little bit of the Lincoln Lawyer thrown in. After attending a funeral of an old partner Harry is given an old casebook by the widow which prompts him to recruit Renee to help him solve one last case for his partner. He also gets involved in a case involving the murder or a judge thru his brother. Another solid effort.

The Guardians by John Grisham Pretty good book based on a charity similar to the Innocence Project a Priest/Lawyer working to get people he feels are innocent out of jail. The book follows several cases but focuses mainly on 1. One of the better recent Grisham novels, there were parts of the plot I felt could have been developed a little bit better.

Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire #15) by Craig Johnson The new Longmire book thankfully finds him back in Absaroka county dealing with Sheriff duties there rather than hunting down drug cartels in Mexico. Typical storyline of tracking down a Montana criminal though everyone in the office is fawning and protective of him after the injuries he received in Mexico. Good read definitely better than the last book.

Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady #7) by J.A. Jance Another good Brady book as this finds her investigating a missing woman found dead in the desert was it an accident was it a murder? Lots of character development with Joanna and the other people around her in her life.

Passage to Mutiny (Richard Bolitho #9) by Alexander Kent, Douglas Reeman To me the weakest of the Bolitho books with the exception of the earliest ones, I’m reading chronologically. Bolitho is still in the South Pacific we are in between the wars, American Revolution and Napoleonic. He finds himself fighting against Bureaucrats and pirates in an effort to save his crew and his career.

Deception (Alex Delaware #25) by Jonathan Kellerman A so so Delaware novel where he and Milo are investigating the death of a prep school teacher. This is complicated by the fact that the Police Chief’s son goes to the same school. A back and forth investigation leads them in many different directions.

Body of Lies by David Ignatius So this was a Goodreads recommendation. Frankly I wasn’t that impressed very much it was written more in the LeCarre spy novel style. Lots of talking and “craftwork” and very little real action.

Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell A stand alone Cornwell novel follows the career of a Redcoat in occupied Philadelphia during the Revolution. Okay book but I really expected more battlefield action and less “hanging” around HQ stuff. It does depict the Paoli Massacre and the Battle of Germantown along with the battle to take the forts outside Philadelphia. An okay read.
                Last edited by Probert; 01-01-2020, 06:39 AM.
                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Good Reads Stats for 2019

184 Books

62,967 Pages

2 Books more but about 800 less pages than last year

AVERAGE LENGTH 342 pages

Shortest Book Assassins by Christopher Reich 15 pages

Longest Book Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore 848 pages

MOST POPULAR 73,517 people also read The Reckoning by John Grisham

Least Popular 5 people also read The Yellowstone Park Foundation's Official Guide to Yellowstone National Park

My Average Rating 2.9 about right as most books are rated 2 or 3 stars

Highest Rated Good reads books I read On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle by Hampton Sides 4.57 my rating 4 stars

Personal ratings

5 Star 0
                  4 Star 24
                  3 Star 119
                  2 Star 41
                  1 Star 0
                  Last edited by Probert; 01-01-2020, 06:43 AM.
                  Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson: very entertaining. The physics was a little cumbersome (even "dumbed down"), but lots of interesting information and written in a relatable style. I want to read his new book about the body as well.

Comment

Just read about Silent Book Club. Awesome idea.

I feel like joining a "regular" book club will be college lit classes all over again, where loud, obnoxious, opinionated people are the only ones who discuss anything. Plus, I don't want to spend my valuable reading time reading something I have no interest in, or hate. This is almost perfect.
                      Last edited by jen; 01-11-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Just read about Silent Book Club. Awesome idea.

I feel like joining a "regular" book club will be college lit classes all over again, where loud, obnoxious, opinionated people are the only ones who discuss anything. Plus, I don't want to spend my valuable reading time reading something I have no interest in, or hate. This is almost perfect.
                        That sounds like heaven. I love the idea.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          That sounds like heaven. I love the idea.
                          Concur.

I walked in on a Silent Writers Club meeting at a coffee house in Phoenix. Same plan but with people writing their own sh-t. It looked like heaven on Earth.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I just finished The Man From the Train, a book by Bill James and his daughter Rachel (yes baseball fans, that Bill James).

It was a book that I've looked forward to reading since I first heard about it, but honestly I was kind of disappointed. The big thing is that for me it seemed like bad writing. The story is fascinating enough, and he has certainly done his typical yeoman's work in gathering data, but man the writing just wore on me.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Saw this somewhere else and thought it was a fun question.... what books spawned your love of reading?

I remember reading the Serendipity series by Stephen Cosgrove in elementary school and checking them all out from the library. I had the Little House on the Prairie boxed set, also loved Nancy Drew, Beverly Cleary, Little Golden Books (esp. Poky Little Puppy), and a little later, Judy Blume.

As I got older, in middle school and high school, I read Sweet Valley Twins and then Sweet Valley High. Also a fantasy series called Dragonlance and everything by Michael Crichton. Probably the last time I read a fantasy book. Not sure why.

Comment

Crichton's career was ruined for me after he wrote State of Fear, but up until Jurassic Park he was good.

Loved David Eddings various high fantasy series as a teenager, maybe even more than LotR.
                                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-13-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X