Spartan Hockey Offseason, or How to Kill T-minus 4 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    The polls are as expected. MSU will be a better team this year in a league that is also improving. How much better will depend on can they put together a second potent scoring line? Can a couple of the freshmen contribute at a high level like Lewandowski last year? Will a few returning players have breakout seasons? Can a deeper defense cut down on goals allowed? How good will the powerplay be? By Christmas we should have answers to these questions, a good idea of how lthe rebuilding is progressing, and how accurate these early predictions were.
    It’s going to be a slog for sure. The Non-con is no joke either with a series at Cornell and one against what should be a solid NMU squad.

I think there’s a chance we could overtake Wisky or PSU this year. Maybe Minnesota if things go poorly there? But, I think it’s much more likely that we sit in 7th again and we will probably be a decent team.

Comment

Re: Spartan Hockey Offseason, or How to Kill T-minus 4 months

https://msuspartans.com/news/2018/9/...an-impact.aspx

Notes from media day.

Comment

Big 10 to use 3-on-3 for overtime

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...n-3-to-its.php. Anybody have a problem with this?
        Last edited by owslachief; 09-27-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          I think it’s great. 3on3 OT hockey bangs.
          Last edited by Pirateasaur; 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            I think it’s great. 3on3 OT hockey bangs.
            I should clarify - a careful reading reveals this is for the subsequent overtime. First overtime still involves a 5-minute, 5-on-5 no-mistakes mindset. At least now we have a better hope of avoiding the penalty kicks.

Comment

We get to see the hockey team this week. My body is ready.

Comment

This thread is very nearly obsolete.

Comment

Here's a few of my observations about the Green & White game this evening. [White won 2-0 in case anyone cares. Goals by Stachowiak & Osburn]

MSU has a 2nd line of Saliba, Lambdin, and Stachowiak. They will score this year.

Stachowiak looks to be the Lewandowski of this season. He should score at least a dozen goals. Very impressive.

The rest of the freshmen have talent. Each looked good at times.

PowerPlay units:
                  KHL, Cesana, Milan
                  Saliba, Lambdin, Stachowiak, Rosburg, Osburn.

This team has more size and more talent than any one in the last few years.

3rd and 4th lines look to be influx at this early date. Apap will center one.

Comment

For those wanting to see the Windsor game for free -- it is a MSUFCU game. Go to Buy Tickets, select Promotions, type in MSUFCU_MSU, select the game and your seats.

Comment

Here's a few of my observations about the Green & White game this evening. [White won 2-0 in case anyone cares. Goals by Stachowiak & Osburn]

MSU has a 2nd line of Saliba, Lambdin, and Stachowiak. They will score this year.

Stachowiak looks to be the Lewandowski of this season. He should score at least a dozen goals. Very impressive.

The rest of the freshmen have talent. Each looked good at times.

PowerPlay units:
                      KHL, Cesana, Milan
                      Saliba, Lambdin, Stachowiak, Rosburg, Osburn.

This team has more size and more talent than any one in the last few years.

3rd and 4th lines look to be influx at this early date. Apap will center one.
                      I thought Stachowiak was by far the most noticeable freshman. He is going to make an immediate impact.

The other freshman I didn’t notice as much but that’s fine. I was at first disappointed in the Krygiers and felt they had not adjusted to the speed at this level but I changed my mind later on. Long reach and not the quickest feet but they seem to have pretty good top end speed. They appear to have skill with the puck but maybe not the greatest decision making yet. Hard to tell based on one fake game. Their physical tools are obvious, though.

Powerplay is going to need work. Only 1 goal was scored despite a lot of time swapping PP’s including 5on3. On that note, still not sure adequate production will come in behind the KHL line.

Stachowiak, tho. Mmm.

Comment

I thought Stachowiak was by far the most noticeable freshman. He is going to make an immediate impact.

The other freshman I didn’t notice as much but that’s fine. I was at first disappointed in the Krygiers and felt they had not adjusted to the speed at this level but I changed my mind later on. Long reach and not the quickest feet but they seem to have pretty good top end speed. They appear to have skill with the puck but maybe not the greatest decision making yet. Hard to tell based on one fake game. Their physical tools are obvious, though.

Powerplay is going to need work. Only 1 goal was scored despite a lot of time swapping PP’s including 5on3. On that note, still not sure adequate production will come in behind the KHL line.

Stachowiak, tho. Mmm.
                        I agree powerplays both 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 need work...but I'm willing to give them a pass for now as there has been very little time to work on them. I should add there were at least 4 posts hit.

I agree on your comments about the K twins (and other Freshmen)...at times you could see potential...but at other times you saw freshmen miscues. Each has size which should help against the more physical teams. Not as quick as Cesana, but good speed once they get moving. Each had some miscues, but it's early.

I'm more confident than you about our 2nd line...but maybe it's false hope as we aren't moving up much (or at all) without a productive 2nd line.

I could add that Apap, Keefer, and Sanford were often paired together and at least two of them will probably be a 3rd checking line. Mattson, Goodsir, and Milan were also often paired and could be a 4th line. Smith, Esteves, Kamer, and Stevens may be the new extra player or move into one of the other lines depending on how the competition goes.
                        Last edited by wsummers; 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I agree powerplays both 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 need work...but I'm willing to give them a pass for now as there has been very little time to work on them. I should add there were at least 4 posts hit.

I agree on your comments about the K twins (and other Freshmen)...at times you could see potential...but at other times you saw freshmen miscues. Each has size which should help against the more physical teams. Not as quick as Cesana, but good speed once they get moving. Each had some miscues, but it's early.

I'm more confident than you about our 2nd line...but maybe it's false hope as we aren't moving up much (or at all) without a productive 2nd line.

I could add that Apap, Keefer, and Sanford were often paired together and at least two of them will probably be a 3rd checking line. Mattman, Goodsir, and Milan were also often paired and could be a 4th line. Smith, Esteves, Kamer, and Stevens may be the new extra player or move into one of the other lines depending on how the competition goes.
                          Glad to see the detail about how new guys and combos looked. We missed the scrimmage for the first time in about 12 years. Seems to me there's been more than average good buzz over the summer about MSU hockey; did that translate to better-than-usual attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Glad to see the detail about how new guys and combos looked. We missed the scrimmage for the first time in about 12 years. Seems to me there's been more than average good buzz over the summer about MSU hockey; did that translate to better-than-usual attendance?
                            No...maybe a hundred or so. Wednesday is not an ideal night...especially last night. Hot outside and cold inside meant some left at "halftime" as they hadn't come prepared to sit in 50-60 degree temps for two hours in a T-shirt and shorts. As I was warming up outside between periods (Yeah I was a t-shirt guy...wife was smart and brought a jacket), I also saw some families with young children leaving early to get the little ones in bed on a school night.

Comment

No...maybe a hundred or so. Wednesday is not an ideal night...especially last night. Hot outside and cold inside meant some left at "halftime" as they hadn't come prepared to sit in 50-60 degree temps for two hours in a T-shirt and shorts. As I was warming up outside between periods (Yeah I was a t-shirt guy...wife was smart and brought a jacket), I also saw some families with young children leaving early to get the little ones in bed on a school night.
                              I was walking out the door to head the game and then thought “Might want a sweatshirt.” So I went back and grabbed one and carried it to the game. Boy am I glad I did. Summer makes one soft.

But yeah, attendance was sparse. Still didn’t stop them from blowing the goal horn.
                              Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I was walking out the door to head the game and then thought “Might want a sweatshirt.” So I went back and grabbed one and carried it to the game. Boy am I glad I did. Summer makes one soft.

But yeah, attendance was sparse. Still didn’t stop them from blowing the goal horn.
                                Rink has been a lot cooler since the new system was put in. I remember doing public skate on the ice in short sleeves and still feeling warm. Now you need three layers to sit in the stands.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X