X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2018 midterm elections!

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    But then the right doesn't even need an explanation. trump or one of his minions say something and the people on the right believe it.
    Of course you're right. Buckley started and Rush officially ushered in the end of the constructive role of conservatism. The enemy of 'America' was no longer the Russians, drugs, poverty, racism, etc. It became the other half of America. And it found a receptive audience due to some inherent idiosyncrasy among conservatives - in a similar manner to the minority of Muslim conservative extremists drawn to hateful mosques. And the negativity has expanded from there.

But as anyone outside of the right...we have to be able to discuss and debate core societal problems/solutions or in the end or we're no better than them and this country truly is lost.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Yeah I tried having rational conversations with him back when Kepler was all about defending him. You can only beat your head against a wall so much.
      In Kep's defense he was a little fuked up last year after he joined the Bernie cult and had a lot of trouble distinguishing between friend and foe. Hopefully the 6 months he's spent in the puzzle house this year has cleared up his mind considerably.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Yeah I tried having rational conversations with him back when Kepler was all about defending him. You can only beat your head against a wall so much.

Oh and just to be fair it isnt joe's beliefs. I used to attack Foxton the same way and he was a flaming lib. I have had fights with rufus and he and I almost always agree on politics. It isnt the politics it is how they choose to discuss it.

But your use of latin was cute
        You are correct in so much that resorting to ad hominem is not your usual modus operandi (that's darn near all the Latin I know). However, since you did reply as such so soon after Joe posted it, I couldn't resist (if the puck's in the crease with no goalie, you hit it). To you, I apologize. To others, Joe's point stands and I quote the following from The Big Chill:
        Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.

Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.

Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

It looks like MN's CD2 is going to flip from R to D, assuming no big changes take place in this race over the next month.

A new round of polling in Minnesota’s 2nd Congressional District, a battleground in the fight for control of the U.S. House of Representatives in these midterms, shows what most observers of the race already knew: Rep. Jason Lewis is facing a very strong challenge from DFL candidate Angie Craig in what has long been considered a “toss-up” race.

But this week’s poll from the New York Times and Siena College — a live survey that was still under way on Tuesday — suggests this race may no longer be a toss-up: With responses from more than 400 voters in CD2, the poll found Craig with a 14-point advantage over Lewis, 52 percent to 38 percent. Ten percent of voters were undecided.

If that result holds, Craig’s lead would be greater than the poll’s 10-point margin of error, a standard that, in the eyes of most pollsters, indicates a clear advantage for one candidate. Craig’s 14-point advantage would also be one of the biggest leads for any candidate among the 30 U.S. House races nationwide surveyed by the Times and Siena, a group that includes Minnesota’s 3rd and 8th Districts. (In CD3, the poll gave Democrat Dean Phillips a nine-point lead over GOP Rep. Erik Paulsen; in CD8, Democrat Joe Radinovich led Republican Pete Stauber by one point.)

The CD2 poll indicated a clear advantage for Craig across key voting blocs: Among voters 65 and older, Craig led Lewis 53 percent to 34 percent; among women, Craig led 56 percent to 34 percent; and among voters who identified as independent — a group that made up a third of those surveyed — Craig led 49 percent to 35 percent.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It's anecdotal but Craig has at least a 4-1 advantage in yard signs in Eagan.

Comment

Originally posted by sagard View Post
              It's anecdotal but Craig has at least a 4-1 advantage in yard signs in Eagan.
              Yeah, I'm seeing much the same during my driving around Dakota Cnty.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm still trying to find out why I see so many yard signs for Washington County sheriff. Those outnumber all other races COMBINED by at least 10:1 everywhere in the entire county. I've never seen anything like it. There are neighborhoods where there are fewer yards without signs than yards with signs. And they're the only signs in the yard.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Lewis sucked on the radio why anyone voted for him confused the heck out of me.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I'm still trying to find out why I see so many yard signs for Washington County sheriff. Those outnumber all other races COMBINED by at least 10:1 everywhere in the entire county. I've never seen anything like it. There are neighborhoods where there are fewer yards without signs than yards with signs. And they're the only signs in the yard.
                    I've noticed that too. Some people have signs for both candidates. I have no idea who to vote for.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Yeah, I'm seeing much the same during my driving around Dakota Cnty.
                      There’s also a shame factor. It would be really embarrassing to put out a sign you’re voting for an R, Lewis no less

Comment

I'm hearing the enthusiasm gap has been closed for the upcoming midterm. The Kavanaugh thing is working in favor of Republicans at least in how the election enthusiasm is going.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I'm hearing the enthusiasm gap has been closed for the upcoming midterm. The Kavanaugh thing is working in favor of Republicans at least in how the election enthusiasm is going.
                          Definitely possible. The SCOTUS roles up the religious right.

Comment

I'm not worried about enthusiasm I'm worried about voted and every indication is good news.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm not worried about enthusiasm I'm worried about voted and every indication is good news.
                              As always I'm worried about everything until after it's over.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

As always I'm worried about everything until after it's over.
                                Scoobs, this really ought to be your signature.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X