No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Really? Are there any rules of thing for which ones have less or none?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      So I was out tonight and had a pizza that was gluten and lactose free. Not only did I not hate it, it was pretty dam good.
      But why? Why would you do that?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Spoon & Stable is everything it’s made out to be. The service was impeccable and the food was tremendous.
        Yep. Its really good. Gavin Kaysen knows his ****.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So I was out tonight and had a pizza that was gluten and lactose free. Not only did I not hate it, it was pretty dam good.
          People who are looking for sugar free options might be interested in LUV Ice Cream. It's based in North St. Paul, has a little bit of east coast distribution (NH and Boston, coincidentally enough).
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Really? Are there any rules of thing for which ones have less or none?
            yeah any cheese aged over 30 days. Read nutrition label on cheddar, carbs should be zero, no sugar, no lactose

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Stovetop popcorn: fairly simple technique, just need to watch it like a hawk, correct?
              tcbg got me a Whirley Pop as a gag gift for Christmas one year and it's probably the most used kitchen gadget in our house. I use 2/3 c of popcorn and 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Melt 1-2 tbsp butter, a few shakes of Kernel Seasons popcorn salt (unflavored), and either a little brown sugar melted in with the butter or Penzeys' Mural of Flavor seasoning. I've also used a pasta pot.

Lol. They had a battle cheese on Iron Chef. The Japanese chef was baffled. So much geese with so much fish.
              I imagine it’s all fantastic though.
              It was awesome! It was clearly out of his wheelhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Lots of cheese has no lactose, or very little as its eaten in fermentation
                Originally posted by walrus View Post
                yeah any cheese aged over 30 days. Read nutrition label on cheddar, carbs should be zero, no sugar, no lactose
                This can be true for a lot of people, I had forgotten. My grandfather has been lactose intolerant for years, but very well-aged, hard cheeses are usually OK for him. For sure parmesan / Parmigiano-Reggiano and romano / Pecorino Romano (all of which are, of course aged / hard). He has never mentioned cheddar, but I doubt he'd buy cheddars that are aged enough (1+ years, I figure).

I can't imagine giving up any of my various stinky, runny French/German cheeses, or Dutch/Dane goudas.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Not doing it until I'm lactose intolerant, that's for d@mn sure (and hopefully that never happens). Gluten-free can DIAF, unless you legit have Celiac disease. It's mostly just the latest trend in the "I hate everything that has flavor and I suspect makes me fat, but I'm not willing to admit it's because I hate moderation and exercise" direction.

Comment

One of the aunts makes the GF brownies from Aldi for family get togethers. They’re nice and fudgy. It’s sneaky how good they are. Otherwise, I have no reason to avoid gluten. I’ve tried some GF things, just to try. You never know what you’ll find.
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    This can be true for a lot of people, I had forgotten. My grandfather has been lactose intolerant for years, but very well-aged, hard cheeses are usually OK for him. For sure parmesan / Parmigiano-Reggiano and romano / Pecorino Romano (all of which are, of course aged / hard). He has never mentioned cheddar, but I doubt he'd buy cheddars that are aged enough (1+ years, I figure).

I can't imagine giving up any of my various stinky, runny French/German cheeses, or Dutch/Dane goudas.

Not doing it until I'm lactose intolerant, that's for d@mn sure (and hopefully that never happens). Gluten-free can DIAF, unless you legit have Celiac disease. It's mostly just the latest trend in the "I hate everything that has flavor and I suspect makes me fat, but I'm not willing to admit it's because I hate moderation and exercise" direction.
                    I like dairy too much, even if I did have a lactose problem. Just have to spend more time on the ****ter. And agree on gluten free. There is a big difference between people that think gluten is bad for them and legitimate celiac diagnoses.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I like dairy too much, even if I did have a lactose problem. Just have to spend more time on the ****ter. And agree on gluten free. There is a big difference between people that think gluten is bad for them and legitimate celiac diagnoses.
                      Some people can get deathly ill from too much lactose- not a trip to the sh1tter but way worse. I am thankful I am not intolerant to either. I would not be able to have chocolate milk
                      The celliac thing makes me nuts. The nutbags who subscribe to the latest diet of the day make it difficult for those who legit can't do gluten.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Some people can get deathly ill from too much lactose- not a trip to the sh1tter but way worse. I am thankful I am not intolerant to either. I would not be able to have chocolate milk
                        The celliac thing makes me nuts. The nutbags who subscribe to the latest diet of the day make it difficult for those who legit can't do gluten.
                        My buddy has a gluten allergy that's not called Celiac, but something related. He has taken to kindly telling the staff when he orders a steak with potato that he's not playing the fad, that if he gets any gluten in his meal he will end up in the ER. It used to frustrate him, but it's just become a little extra step for him in ordering now.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

For some people, their digestive tracts just can't handle it. Be it an allergy, celiac, or some other disease/disorder/disposition where they can't process it. It's nice that places like Spoon & Stable get that. Our waiter even explained that Kaysen plans the menu around that because (I think) he or someone he knows is impacted by food issues as well. If you look at the GF menu and the regular menu, there are like three things that aren't on both. They were also super receptive to all of the restrictions and made it well-known they understood. Even the Executive Chef who provided us with a small bite compliments of the kitchen was aware. That's the sign of a tier A kitchen.

I'm not saying eliminating gluten is universally more healthy. I don't think it is or it isn't and I don't know why anyone would choose to eliminate it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Speaking of comps, I love it when that happens. Recently got to try a vension and risotto dish that the chef at my nearby Italian joint is working on.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              My buddy has a gluten allergy that's not called Celiac, but something related. He has taken to kindly telling the staff when he orders a steak with potato that he's not playing the fad, that if he gets any gluten in his meal he will end up in the ER. It used to frustrate him, but it's just become a little extra step for him in ordering now.
                              It is all the fad followers that make people believe the person is going thru a 'phase'.

For some people, their digestive tracts just can't handle it. Be it an allergy, celiac, or some other disease/disorder/disposition where they can't process it. It's nice that places like Spoon & Stable get that. Our waiter even explained that Kaysen plans the menu around that because (I think) he or someone he knows is impacted by food issues as well. If you look at the GF menu and the regular menu, there are like three things that aren't on both. They were also super receptive to all of the restrictions and made it well-known they understood. Even the Executive Chef who provided us with a small bite compliments of the kitchen was aware. That's the sign of a tier A kitchen.

I'm not saying eliminating gluten is universally more healthy. I don't think it is or it isn't and I don't know why anyone would choose to eliminate it.
                              They have actually done Medical research showing it is not healthy to eliminate gluten if you don't have issues. There are also some claims it has to do with the chemicals they use to grow the wheat but I haven't seen credible evidence (well constructed research) of that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                It is all the fad followers that make people believe the person is going thru a 'phase'.

They have actually done Medical research showing it is not healthy to eliminate gluten if you don't have issues. There are also some claims it has to do with the chemicals they use to grow the wheat but I haven't seen credible evidence (well constructed research) of that yet.
                                Why would not eating gluten be bad for you?
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X