USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

I made a pretty good crock pot the other day. First I put oven to 400 and covered each side of a corned beef briskett with oil first, then ground mustard, rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper. Baked for 45 minutes fat side down in a glass casserole dish, no cover. While that went on I filled bottom of big crock pot with peeled pearl onions enough to cover the bottom well. I then a layer of baby carrots over top of that. Then I put a layer of cut up white potatoes. I diced up six cloves of garlic and sprinkled on top. I poured about 4 cups of beef broth in there. I put a healthy dose of ground mustard, rosemary and thyme, and put more pepper. But no more salt as corned beef can get salty on its own. I then transferred the beef brisket to the crock pot fat side up and pushed potatoes around to fit it. I then put halve cut Brussels sprouts as best I could around it. Put lid on on high for an hour. After a while when it was cooking down and room was made I put more Brussels sprouts in. I think it was about 1 to 1.5 pounds worth Brussels sprouts. Left on high for another hour. Then went to low for 3 hours.

It was outstanding. I am not sure why I did this in August. But I hit gold.
    Last edited by BlackI; 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      I made a pretty good crock pot the other day. First I put oven to 400 and covered each side of a corned beef briskett with oil first, then ground mustard, rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper. Baked for 45 minutes fat side down in a glass casserole dish, no cover. While that went on I filled bottom of big crock pot with peeled pearl onions enough to cover the bottom well. I then a layer of baby carrots over top of that. Then I put a layer of cut up white potatoes. I diced up six cloves of garlic and sprinkled on top. I poured about 4 cups of beef broth in there. I put a healthy dose of ground mustard, rosemary and thyme, and put more pepper. But no more salt as corned beef can get salty on its own. I then transferred the beef brisket to the crock pot fat side up and pushed potatoes around to fit it. I then put halve cut Brussels sprouts as best I could around it. Put lid on on high for an hour. After a while when it was cooking down and room was made I put more Brussels sprouts in. I think it was about 1 to 1.5 pounds worth Brussels sprouts. Left on high for another hour. Then went to low for 3 hours.

Yum! You had me until the brussel sprouts. I would leave those out.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Yum! You had me until the brussel sprouts. I would leave those out.
        Let me have yours, then!
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          Must be the day for it...

I braised lamb shanks this evening with a recipe I found on Williams-Sonoma. Made some cheater mashed potatoes. And air fried some Brussels sprouts. I’m so happy right now.
          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
            Must be the day for it...

I braised lamb shanks this evening with a recipe I found on Williams-Sonoma. Made some cheater mashed potatoes. And air fried some Brussels sprouts. I’m so happy right now.
            Hmmm, never thought of air fried Brussels sprouts. I've been playing around with cuts of marinade meat and potatoes with onions. My sis got me one for Christmas, but to be honest I am not a huge fan yet. Probably because I like a dirty cast iron pan to hold history in its body of work.

Comment

Fool proof(10 beer) baby back ribs on the bbq...

Get twice as much baby back ribs as you think you will need to feed your family( believe me they will go fast). Get one of those turkey bags and put in fridge with McCormicks Montreal marinade packets as called for on the back side. One packet mix per set of full ribs. Marinade in fridge over night, bones up and meat side down in the juice. Make sure if the is a big membrane on top of ribs to peel off first. Next day pull out and make a boat with tin foil. One set of ribs per set of tinfoil. Never cook to ribs in one set of foil. Now pour in marinade equally on those ribs. Quadrupale two fifthtepit wrap your ribs to make sure no leaks. Cook on top rack of grill, up top where you usually toast rolls. Bone side down, on 275 for 3.5 hours. Critical you get it bone side down. Put a pan of water on first rack, like a cookie sheet with an inch or to it on the sides. Then take off and check, caution not to steam burn yourself. If you see dry bone and meat recessed you did what was expected. If not wrap again and keep cooking up top, maintain bone side down. Once you get dry bone take care on transfer to lower rack(take out water pan of course). But paint those with your favorite bbq sauce, I like sweet baby rays. Cook until you get it a little snugged looking, but by all means don't burn.

Now to do this correctly it should have taken 10 beers. Ask someone else to bring a side of potato salads, baked beans, and get someone to cook corn on the cob. Bonus points if someone makes blueberry pie.
              Last edited by BlackI; 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Who drinks 10 beers in 3.5 hours?
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  'Muricans.

Serious question now. You and I both bought some of that bourbon maple syrup, I recommended pork chops on the grill with a glaze of that (it is SO delicious). I'm guessing chicken breast would work, also? Or would that not be as good? Working on a Labor Day menu with the fam, and my parents can't grill worth sh*.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Can't ride home on a bowl of goats...

https://youtu.be/ukCr6fG9pug

Comment

YES. The Red Delicious apple (only a half-truth) is no longer the dominant apple in American orchards.

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...-orchards.html

Gala or Fuji for me, Honeycrisp if I can get it... and for green, Golden Delicious over Granny Smith.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

You’re welcome.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You’re welcome.
                          Red Delicious... how dare they call them that?

Comment

I tried to get a taste of First Kiss, the third generation honeycrisp. Sold out for the season.
                            Code:

Comment

Made Anne Burrell’s carbonara tonight. The texture is heavenly. It’s hard to believe there isn’t cream in it. But I think it needs something else for flavor. Some garlic for sure. Too bad they don’t have a lightly smoked bacon that bridges the gap between pancetta and American bacon. Something with just a bit more bite to it.

I was worried making it the first time. Thought there was no way I would get the cook on it right. I figured I would have scrambled eggs

Overall it was pretty good. I’d make it again.
                              Code:

Comment

I made bagels! And they turned out!

Bagels have always eluded me. I can make some complicated stuff, but my bagels have always been subpar. Not sure if it's shaping them, boiling them, or the process of moving them after they're boiled that goes wrong, but they're usually limp, or too thin and don't look like real bagels. Even when I made them at Zingerman's, I still wasn't happy.

I used the Zingerman's recipe, baked for 3 minutes on a pan with parchment that was set on top of a stone. After 3 minutes, slid the pan out, leaving the bagels and the parchment on the stone - another 18-22 minutes. Nice texture and finish on the outside.

One thing I noticed was they were boiled in JUST water - sometimes there's baking soda, or something else added to the water.

Comment

Working...
                                X