X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with the Missy.
    Knowing the way I eat ice cream, this is why I don't bring home half-gallons.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yes! My opportunity to go "spitefully unhealthy" comes on Saturday. My trans support group is having a cookout, with tube steaks, ice cream, and apple pie.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Yes! My opportunity to go "spitefully unhealthy" comes on Saturday. My trans support group is having a cookout, with tube steaks, ice cream, and apple pie.
        I don't think I've ever seen an actual tube steak. [Insert joke here.]
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Got some raspberries at the farmers' market last week, and some overripe discount mangoes (3 for $2!! couldn't slice them, but perfect for pureeing) and made mango-raspberry sorbet. I believe I have captured summer in my freezer. It's delicious.

Also, I have an experiment planned for next week - mini caneles.
          Last edited by jen; 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Got a call from my mom yesterday saying she wanted to see her son since I’ve been in the road the last month. Decided to invite her over and do something special.

Smoked a rack of ribs and a pork butt. I haven’t done a butt in so many years because mine never quite came out right*. This time it did. It needed another hour or two to be pulled pork and didn’t want to wait so I just chopped it and it was awesome. Best ribs I’ve ever made as well. Plus the smoked bacon potato salad was killer too.

The house smells real pretty right now.

*Which is why I also did ribs. Need to have a good backup plan. And ribs I’ve got down pat.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Made Swedish Pancakes this morning. 4 batches. lilnsl les ate 10 so much for having a lot of left overs, there was less than a third left. This was after having pre-breakfast of English muffings and a huge bowl of yogurt. His bud is supposed to come up next week. I thought making 4 batches would be enough but.... maybe not. Back up plan.

Comment

Received an Instant Pot as a gift. Slightly intimidated. I did the test run with steamed water and no one died, though.

Half Price Books has coupons this weekend, so I might see if they have some cookbooks. I did find a good beginner recipe online (Chicken and Brown Rice), so will probably try that today. Anyone have tips or tried-and-true recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Received an Instant Pot as a gift. Slightly intimidated. I did the test run with steamed water and no one died, though.

Half Price Books has coupons this weekend, so I might see if they have some cookbooks. I did find a good beginner recipe online (Chicken and Brown Rice), so will probably try that today. Anyone have tips or tried-and-true recipes?
                  We just received one of those at my fiancée's bridal shower, but it also doubles as a slow cooker. We've yet to use it.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post

I became part of the Instant Pot cult. Absolutely love it. Do not be intimidated, it for the most part is pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Elect.../dp/1623156122

This is the book we have used. Lots of easy stuff. Most recipes we have tried are very good. Do not just do rice or noodles, even the complicated recipes are pretty reasonable to try.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Isn’t it just an expensive crock pot with some doodads and gizmos?

Out of ignorance, why would it be intimidating?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Well, for one, mine has 18 buttons on it.

And it's mostly a pressure cooker, which I've never used.
                        Last edited by jen; 07-10-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Crockpots don't have pressure locked lids. If you use the pressure cooker option, a 5-hr crockpot cook time becomes a 90 minute cook time. And rice is done in about 3 minutes.

Comment

Personally, I'm intrigued just at the prospect of homemade broth and/or stock becoming a modest 3-hour affair, instead of an all-day ordeal.

Comment

For the most part they can be found for around 100 buck so nothing that expensive. I think we use ours for soup/broth more than other things but most of the stuff I have tried in it comes out pretty good, fairly easy, with minimal cleanup.

It is really nice to saute and pressure cook in the same thing...only one dish needs to be cleaned.
                              In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                              I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

People like them for yogurt also especially if you ferment the yogurt for 24 hour(consumes all the lactose, huge amount of probiotics)
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X