Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

How did they taste?

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I made bagels! And they turned out!

Bagels have always eluded me. I can make some complicated stuff, but my bagels have always been subpar. Not sure if it's shaping them, boiling them, or the process of moving them after they're boiled that goes wrong, but they're usually limp, or too thin and don't look like real bagels. Even when I made them at Zingerman's, I still wasn't happy.

I used the Zingerman's recipe, baked for 3 minutes on a pan with parchment that was set on top of a stone. After 3 minutes, slid the pan out, leaving the bagels and the parchment on the stone - another 18-22 minutes. Nice texture and finish on the outside.

One thing I noticed was they were boiled in JUST water - sometimes there's baking soda, or something else added to the water.
    That's interesting. Usually lye or baking soda is used to help them get brown once they are baked. I remember an Alton Brown pretzel recipe from years back, where he used baking soda instead of the traditional lye because baking soda is easier to obtain, and well...laywers.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    How did they taste?
    Great. Texture was maybe a little softer than I thought, but I had to sub about 1/3 of the bread flour with all purpose flour (I ran out).

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    That's interesting. Usually lye or baking soda is used to help them get brown once they are baked. I remember an Alton Brown pretzel recipe from years back, where he used baking soda instead of the traditional lye because baking soda is easier to obtain, and well...laywers.
    I guess baking them on the stone helped brown them. They had very good color - nice and dark.

My mom is very excited (I made them because she mentioned she liked everything bagels, and I wanted to try making them again).

She was also lamenting how hard it is to find raisin bread that does not have cinnamon. I mentioned that it might be helpful if she knew someone who liked to bake bread, that maybe she talked to every single day. So I'll be making raisin bread sometime soon.

Lucia Apologist

Have the carbonara one more go tonight since I still had the ingredients. This time I added some garlic to the pan while the pancetta was cooking. That was the ticket. Will definitely make this again. Might try adding some chicken next time to up the solid protein factor. Would also taste pretty good I would thinks.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Got a picnic coming in a few weeks. I'm committed to bring something sweet, but I want to bring something savory too. Just not sure what to do...
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Lucia Apologist

Made this tonight:
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/br...th-orecchiette

Broccoli “bolognese” with orichette

Very good. Watch the sizes on the original. My brain was melted from work today so I just started making it. Come time to combine, had to switch pans.

Next time I make it I’m keeping the amount of broccoli the same but cutting the sausage and pasta. Came together in under 25 minutes. Not half bad for a fast weeknight dinner.

Roasted a chicken tonight, for chicken salad tomorrow (and the day after that, and the day after that, most likely). Hadn't done it in awhile, and was rushing to finish between work calls. Forgot to check for the organs before I seasoned it and threw it in a 400-degree oven.

BOOM! goes the little guy's liver an hour in.

Fortunately, the explosion was contained within the cavity, and somehow the oven walls escaped any splattering. Just some dark grey, overcooked liver oozing out the tail end (which is how I figured out what happened).

Chicken organs are mild enough that I figure the meat probably isn't going to taste gamey.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Lucia Apologist

I loled.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I loled.
    me too

Schweinshaxe, first attempt. Not particularly bad:

A touch overdone, but it was pretty good. In the future, I need to pay a bit closer attention to the shape of the hock/bone, as mine would not stand-up on its own after braising and roasting.

wubba lubba dub dub

In the US it's National Taco Day today, October 4.

In Sweden it's Kanelbullens Dagen (The day of the cinnamon bun).

I'm not sure who wins the day because they're both amazing.
    Last edited by St. Clown; 10-04-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Swede has become Sweden, because it's a country and not a person. I'm told.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Lucia Apologist

Prnld?

wubba lubba dub dub

I don't know what that means.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Lucia Apologist

Por que no los dos?

Kicizapi Cetan

Finally a recipe that even I can't screw up:

- Pork tenderloin
    - 16 oz of A&W Root Beer

Put into crock pot for 10 hours. Pull with two forks; add BBQ sauce to taste.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Lucia Apologist

I bought a tomahawk steak. Anyone ever cooked anything like a 3” bone-in ribeye?

Obviously sear it and then go indirect. But any tips beyond that?

Lucia Apologist

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/on...chicken-thighs

Made this tonight with one exception. I thought I had sriracha at home. No dice. So I improvised and made a garlicky hot sauce with some vinegar, jalapeños, and some spices.

Holy moly this was all really good.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/on...chicken-thighs

Made this tonight with one exception. I thought I had sriracha at home. No dice. So I improvised and made a garlicky hot sauce with some vinegar, jalapeños, and some spices.

Holy moly this was all really good.
    That looks fantastic.

Lucia Apologist

If I could do one thing differently, I would have spooned the sauce back over the chicken more often. It was still outrageously flavorful. It’s now on my regular list.

And it’s truly a one-skillet recipe. With a small prep bowl to mix the sauce in. A knife and a cutting board. That’s a great weeknight dinner if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Finally a recipe that even I can't screw up:

- Pork tenderloin
    - 16 oz of A&W Root Beer

Put into crock pot for 10 hours. Pull with two forks; add BBQ sauce to taste.
    Pulled pork with a lean cut? That will not be good.

Thread Information