No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

In case anyone needs to feel better about themselves, I accidentally put oatmeal in my chicken soup instead of barley.

... but Jen, isn't it pretty much the same thing?

No. No, it is not.

I rinsed every single ****ing piece of vegetable and bean in that soup, so I didn't have to throw it away or make another one. It was an... experience.

And yes, I do have the container labeled. I just didn't read it closely.

Comment

On an unrelated note, I don't think I've shared this recipe before, but it is delicious - Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Blondies. I made them yesterday and had to put them in my car while they were still warm. They should sell air fresheners with that smell.

Comment

You can freestyle while baking... as long as you have the basic flour, sugar, fat, egg, and baking powder/soda ratio down. For example, if I add cocoa powder AND crunchy peanut butter, that's 2, 2.5 cups of milk right there for a bread/muffin.

And yes, I have done that, and it's really good.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

First attempt at gluten free schnitzel tonight. Very good results. Probably going to try a different “breadcrumb” though. This was one kind of mealy.

Flavor was virtually unaffected
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I did a sweet potato and Brussels sprouts hash with ground turkey and a Balsamic glaze (out of a squeeze bottle) Sunday night, and I am still surprised at how easy that was.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Tonight, I attempted pumpkin lasagna. I had some basic components down, like the pumpkin, mozz, parm, Alfredo sauce, some sage, and whole milk ricotta, but it needs so much more the next time I try. I'm thinking maybe some onion, mushrooms, and more sage to be sure, but what else can I add to really make it shine?

Comment

Do you put amaretti cookies in your cooked pumpkin blend? Giada does that with the butternut squash lasagna, and I thought it helped add a subtle layer.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Do you put amaretti cookies in your cooked pumpkin blend? Giada does that with the butternut squash lasagna, and I thought it helped add a subtle layer.
                  I can try that. With my cooking, I'm taking the attitude of "anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great."

And now I have something to build on for next time. Last night wasn't a failure in the slightest.

Comment

Today I learned that if my A1C goes any higher, I get diagnosed pre-diabetic.

No need to go ballistic and ban all the sugar (that has failed for me in the past), but I need to be way more mindful of when I bake.

Also learned my iron/hemoglobin was low, and my Vitamin D levels were low too... I think I can fix this with food, if I get some good suggestions.

Comment

Honestly, if you are that close to prediabetes, I’d recommend dumping the sweets. Diabetes isn’t anything to screw around with. It’s extraordinarily expensive to manage nowadays.

Find other ways to satiate your sweet tooth. Carrots and corn are great ways to have a slightly sweeter plate with vegetables and grains. And don’t candy or caramelize the carrots. Instead of reaching for a dessert, have an apple. Have a square or two of dark chocolate. I’ve even used a glass of skim milk to satisfy my sweet tooth.

If you’re adding white sugar to something, you should probably lay off that recipe until your numbers normalize.

Years ago I cut out pop and sweets entirely. Like, a complete prohibition. After several months of completely avoiding them, I found my body didn’t like sugar as much. Sweet foods were just gross. I’ve slowly worked some back in like two or three times a week I have a frozen Greek yogurt bar from Yasso. At 100 cals and not a TON of sugar, I don’t feel like I’m overdoing it.

Alton Brown has some good advice on this. If you find a food that isn’t necessarily bad for you but makes you do bad things, then cut that food out. His was dairy. Dairy made him so bad things so he cut it. This was all back when he dropped like 40 or 50 lbs.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Honestly, if you are that close to prediabetes, I’d recommend dumping the sweets. Diabetes isn’t anything to screw around with. It’s extraordinarily expensive to manage nowadays.

Find other ways to satiate your sweet tooth. Carrots and corn are great ways to have a slightly sweeter plate with vegetables and grains. And don’t candy or caramelize the carrots. Instead of reaching for a dessert, have an apple. Have a square or two of dark chocolate. I’ve even used a glass of skim milk to satisfy my sweet tooth.

If you’re adding white sugar to something, you should probably lay off that recipe until your numbers normalize.

Years ago I cut out pop and sweets entirely. Like, a complete prohibition. After several months of completely avoiding them, I found my body didn’t like sugar as much. Sweet foods were just gross. I’ve slowly worked some back in like two or three times a week I have a frozen Greek yogurt bar from Yasso. At 100 cals and not a TON of sugar, I don’t feel like I’m overdoing it.

Alton Brown has some good advice on this. If you find a food that isn’t necessarily bad for you but makes you do bad things, then cut that food out. His was dairy. Dairy made him so bad things so he cut it. This was all back when he dropped like 40 or 50 lbs.
                        Banning sweets does not work for me. At all. After a few weeks, I get itchy.

Comment

For the record, dx, I know you're trying to help. But right now, I have to take a look at everything I'm eating. Some people think crunchy peanut butter banana bread with dark chocolate chips is all I eat.

Truth is, here's all of my carb intake: steel cut oats, fruit (fresh and dried), refined pasta, whole grain pasta, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, quinoa, farro, peanut butter filled pretzels, winter squashes, and the occasional treat. I had to stop bringing ice cream into my home because a serving size for me is "when the spoon empties the container." I can go for weeks without baking. I also stopped buying Clif Bars, because 3 of the first 5 ingredients are some kind of sugar (nothing healthy about brown rice syrup). I also started looking for whole food options as snacks for work.

Comment

Diabetes also can have a genetic component, so you could just be fighting a losing battle, even if you do cut out sweets.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

All of the above. Some pancreas have the ability to handle crap loads of sugar. Others don't.

It isn't what you eat so much as how much of a sugar load at a time. Even an awful diabetic could eat a candy bar if it is spaced out in small enough bits.

It also makes a difference when. Your body is more able to metabolize in the AM vs at night.

No matter what you do, you might not be able to totally prevent Diabetes type II but, you can delay and decrease the severity.

Couple of other interesting factoids- diabetics' stomachs empty way faster than a non-diabetics. The hormones that cause a sense of fullness and hunger are also messed up. The one that gives a sense of fullness is slower to activate and clears out of the system faster so the one causing hunger is at higher levels than 'normal'. Diabetics feel hunger more, are less likely to feel full and their stomachs empty quicker. Saying eat only when you are hungry is pointless. There is a bunch of other stuff that also conspires to make things worse. Diabetics also feel 'bad' or 'off' when their sugar goes below their 'normal' level which is way higher than it should be. They will tell you they are 'low' when in actuality they are higher than they should.

They have shown this involves multiple organ systems and endocrine hormones, not just high sugar levels and eating too much sugar

Comment

and another interesting little factoid I learned fairly recently- People who go on severely restricted caloric diets mess up the hormones that cause hunger and satiety- the hunger ones are over produced and the satiety ones are under produced. This persists despite the resumption of a regular diet. It persists for >1 yr. They postulate this is why the Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Medifast diets have >99% failure rate of sustained wt loss. Bypass seems to not cause this but the other methods- sleeve, banding tend not to work the same way as bypass.

Bodies are truly wonderous things

Comment

Working...
                                X