No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Last night, I made gravy and it was actually good.
    This may not seem like an accomplishment, but for me it was. My attempts at gravy usually turn out terrible.

Had bangers and mash for dinner. Thought it would be fun to do a beer braised brat, but didn't have appropriate beer in the fridge. Made up a recipe, used a little bit of Dr. Pepper to braise the sausage in. Really proud of myself for making all these things without a recipe. Told husband afterwards that the only thing I measured was how much flour I put in for the gravy. He's of the opinion that one must follow recipes exactly and measure precisely.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Last night, I made gravy and it was actually good.
      This may not seem like an accomplishment, but for me it was. My attempts at gravy usually turn out terrible.

Had bangers and mash for dinner. Thought it would be fun to do a beer braised brat, but didn't have appropriate beer in the fridge. Made up a recipe, used a little bit of Dr. Pepper to braise the sausage in. Really proud of myself for making all these things without a recipe. Told husband afterwards that the only thing I measured was how much flour I put in for the gravy. He's of the opinion that one must follow recipes exactly and measure precisely.
      no. just no. Sacrilege

Comment

Recipes suck. It is always easier to just make something, freestyle like. Always more flavorful, and better executed.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Recipes suck. It is always easier to just make something, freestyle like. Always more flavorful, and better executed.
          Cooking, maybe. baking, no, unless you really know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            Cooking, maybe. baking, no, unless you really know what you're doing.
            I don't bake, I pretty much just cook. Don't have much interest in baking. Baking is science, cooking is art.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Don't have much interest in baking. Baking is science
              Says the engineer.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Prebake the squash for 20-30 min before adding the turkey
                This worked. Mixed the turkey with s/p, Italian bread crumbs, and chopped onion, then topped it with shredded cheese before putting it back in the oven.

I can freestyle while baking. It's how I came up with Banana Crunchy Peanut Butter with Dark Chocolate bread.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Says the engineer.
                  I don't want to come home and do more science. I deal with science and math all day, and want a break at home.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So, I got a toddy a while back but I’m finally using it.

Oh my god where has this been all my life. The amount of coffee it makes is incredible. And I don’t have to make coffee for like two weeks. And it tastes good.
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-26-2019, 09:41 AM.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Made a Japanese Cheesecake.

It tasted OK, but was kind of weird (and a little dry, but maybe that is due to cheesecake-related expectations). It's like cheesecake-flavored cake.

Comment

Garlic and chocolate chips: you measure that sh-t with your heart.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

This thread would seem to be the most appropriate place to link to this piece from Chef David McMillan, who has gone sober. If you've watched enough of Bourdain's old shows, you've undoubtedly seen him in a few episodes, always eating and getting drunk with Tony.

I haven't eaten at Joe Beef, but I did get into the sister restaurant two doors down called Liverpool House, which was the best of many good meals I had in Montreal.

Comment

Looked at a recipe for basic peanut butter bread, realized it could use some love, so I made it Double Chocolate Crunchy Peanut Butter Bread.

And yet, I run marathons.

Comment

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/br...acon-pineapple

Me: How is it?
                              GF: I’m keeping you

Edit: I’d cut the sambal in half. Gets a bit much when reduced that much. Definitely separate the fat.

And the name I thought was pretty spot on. That was a pretty great pineapple bacon situation.
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-26-2019, 09:04 PM.
                              Code:

Comment

Picked up "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman. Helps me freestyle recipes for baked goods.

When I did the double chocolate crunchy peanut butter bread, I just thought "what else does this need?" So I added more milk, I added more sugar, and realized it needed less cook time.

In the end, I'm grateful a formal culinary education didn't pan out.

Comment

Working...
                                X