No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Gotta get creative with vegetables this week, so what can I do with:

Acorn squash?
    Parsnips?
    Spinach?
    Swiss chard?
    Brussels Sprouts?
    Stumbled-across this site (Food Ferret) quite some time ago. Big help in trying to be "creative" with what one may have on-hand. The link provided includes a search for recipes with ALL of the ingredients you had listed in the title, but the search engine, while not very user-friendly (seems almost like "80's-90's tech") is flexible enough to hunt-down what you may be looking for. Also helps when trying to use-up ingredients you may have on-hand that are "on their last leg"!

Good Luck, and Enjoy!
    Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Comment

Acorn squash?
      Parsnips?
      Spinach?
      Swiss chard?
      Brussels Sprouts?
      Spinach? Make spinach balls as an appetizer for NYE. There are a ton of recipes online, though most of them call for frozen spinach - you'll just have to quickly wilt your fresh spinach first.

Sprouts? Just roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, and (optional) balsamic vinegar, turning every so often, until browned and a bit crispy.

Squash? Cut in half, scoop the seeds. Slice a small piece off the bottom rind of each half so they sit up without rolling around. Fill the divots with 2 TB butter, 1 TB real maple syrup (or brown sugar), 1.5 Tsp good brown or Dijon mustard, plenty of salt, and pepper. Roast at 350-400F until the flesh is browned and tender (typically 45-60 minutes).

On another note, for Christmas, I received a copy of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat. I've started reading it, and can't wait to really dig into it.
      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Spinach? Make spinach balls as an appetizer for NYE. There are a ton of recipes online, though most of them call for frozen spinach - you'll just have to quickly wilt your fresh spinach first.

Sprouts? Just roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, and (optional) balsamic vinegar, turning every so often, until browned and a bit crispy.

Squash? Cut in half, scoop the seeds. Slice a small piece off the bottom rind of each half so they sit up without rolling around. Fill the divots with 2 TB butter, 1 TB real maple syrup (or brown sugar), 1.5 Tsp good brown or Dijon mustard, plenty of salt, and pepper. Roast at 350-400F until the flesh is browned and tender (typically 45-60 minutes).

On another note, for Christmas, I received a copy of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat. I've started reading it, and can't wait to really dig into it.
        My thing with wilted spinach is I have to pray before starting it, constantly wonder about the heat, stir it constantly, and hope I pull it from the heat at exactly the right time... lest it become a watery mess.

And Fade, jen, les, dx, etc... I know how to cook hot, delicious, nutritious meals. Lately, I just don't WANT to.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

My thing with wilted spinach is I have to pray before starting it, constantly wonder about the heat, stir it constantly, and hope I pull it from the heat at exactly the right time... lest it become a watery mess.

And Fade, jen, les, dx, etc... I know how to cook hot, delicious, nutritious meals. Lately, I just don't WANT to.
          I turn the pan on high, add a little butter, dump in the spinach, turn with tongs almost like folding batter. Lay the wilted on top of the not yet wilted. Turn off the pan when it is half wilted and keep turning it.

We all go through phases of not wearing a halo. It happens. RIght now I am an achy mess from eating a bunch of stuff my bod thinks is not a good idea. Best behaviour mod in the world. My elbows and arm muscles are achy enough it hurts to lift a glass (and a fork).

Comment

Acorn squash?
            Parsnips?
            Spinach?
            Swiss chard?
            Brussels Sprouts?
            I'm just saying, based upon Lodge rules, there are some amazing things you can do with most of those by adding bacon, Brussels sprouts and spinach especially.

Or you could do a really nice chicken carbonara recipe.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

This is a good carbonara recipe.
              https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1946891

I would recommend adding a clove of minced garlic though.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I had it served with a small bit of peas added a couple times, which works surprising well in the dish.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Peas were an American addition, but yeah they work nicely.

Comment

It's January; weary of my own sugar bombs. I know I can cook delicious savory food that's kinda healthy. So, I'll take Gusteau's advice with hot food, since I do it with baking already:

"You must be imaginative, strong-hearted. You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul. What I say is true - anyone can cook... but only the fearless can be great."
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

It's January; weary of my own sugar bombs. I know I can cook delicious savory food that's kinda healthy. So, I'll take Gusteau's advice with hot food, since I do it with baking already:

"You must be imaginative, strong-hearted. You must try things that may not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul. What I say is true - anyone can cook... but only the fearless can be great."
                      Current healthy food projects:

1. Sweet potato and Brussels sprouts hash. The one at Anna's House has those two things, dried cherries, red onion, and a balsamic glaze. Then served with two eggs, any style, and toast of choice.

2. Turkey Swedish meatballs. Keep the gravy as is, but swap the meat with 85% lean ground turkey.

3. Baked root vegetable chips. Maybe frying isn't a wonderful idea, but making a "Sweets and Beets" mix sounds nice. Plus we're looking for healthy-ish snack at Out On the Lakeshore.

4. Making a healthy energy bite that doesn't have 7 different kinds of sugar. I am aware of RX Bars, but those are quite the worst things I put in my mouth. Just as bad as kale. Truth is, I wish Larabar would have a protein snack, and I wish the makers of RX Bar would have asked Larabar how they do it. Larabars go down easy. RX is shoe leather.

5. Lasagna, but with thinly sliced butternut squash serving as the "noodles." Anne Burrell serves this with a pork ragu; maybe I can do the same thing.

6. Lasagna with either pumpkin or butternut squash; I am not a fan of meat lasagnas.

7. Make my own LaCroix by simply squeezing lemon juice, etc in sparkling water. This is much cheaper than 2/$9 for a 12 pack. Not only that, the flavor would be stronger than "hint of hint of lime."

8. Alton Brown's Pork Wellington. Like a Beef Wellington, but with much more affordable pork tenderloin.

9. Work on "grown up" pizzas. There's the Margherita, my favorite, and New Holland Brewing and Hops have some flavors I can riff off of. I just know to get the best mozzarella I can find. The cheese makes all the difference.

Comment

I did the ultimate coffee snob thing and got Port of Mokha coffee from Yemen (I had an Amazon gift card - had wanted to try it ever since I read the book about it).

It is really good - maybe not $42 for 4 oz. good. All I can think of to describe it is clean.

And the packaging was really fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          I did the ultimate coffee snob thing and got Port of Mokha coffee from Yemen (I had an Amazon gift card - had wanted to try it ever since I read the book about it).

It is really good - maybe not $42 for 4 oz. good. All I can think of to describe it is clean.

And the packaging was really fancy.
                          I had never heard of this, so I googled it. Very interesting story and history.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

9. Work on "grown up" pizzas. There's the Margherita, my favorite, and New Holland Brewing and Hops have some flavors I can riff off of. I just know to get the best mozzarella I can find. The cheese makes all the difference.
                            There's a pizza place here in Charleston that does one that I've been telling them to rename "Around the World in 80 Days". It's buttermilk curry sauce (India), mozzarella/fontina blend (Italy), homemade sauerkraut (Central/Eastern Europe), coppa ham (Italy), and a dusting of flaked Chile de árbol (Mexico).

It sounds a bit weird on paper, but it tastes amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              There's a pizza place here in Charleston that does one that I've been telling them to rename "Around the World in 80 Days". It's buttermilk curry sauce (India), mozzarella/fontina blend (Italy), homemade sauerkraut (Central/Eastern Europe), coppa ham (Italy), and a dusting of flaked Chile de árbol (Mexico).

It sounds a bit weird on paper, but it tastes amazing.
                              That sounds good! My problem with pizza is I tend to overload it, and everything slides off.

Tried stuffed acorn squash with ground turkey tonight, 400 for 60 minutes. The squash was perfect. The turkey was overdone. Maybe sausage next time and less cook time?

Comment

That sounds good! My problem with pizza is I tend to overload it, and everything slides off.

Tried stuffed acorn squash with ground turkey tonight, 400 for 60 minutes. The squash was perfect. The turkey was overdone. Maybe sausage next time and less cook time?
                                Prebake the squash for 20-30 min before adding the turkey

Comment

Working...
                                X