Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Games against Division I and II teams DO NOT count in the primary criteria for NCAA D3 tournament consideration. This will not be changing anytime soon.
    That was the answer I was expecting.

Any thoughts as to why teams with viable paths to the tourney would schedule D2 opponents as OOC regular season games?

I don't see where they benefit. Surely both are situated ranking wise and geographically they can find an OOC team to put on their schedule. Morrisville would have been better trying for one of the UCHC teams [relatively] nearby that they can skate with like William Smith, Chatham, King's or Wilkes. Hamline couldn't tempt one of the upper half NCHA teams into a non-conference bout? St. Scholastica is close by. Concordia (WI) and Lake Forest are both 350 miles per TES. I'm sure there must be factors I'm missing, but playing an OOC game that won't count in primary criteria seems like a waste of an opportunity to improve their resume during selection time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      That was the answer I was expecting.

Any thoughts as to why teams with viable paths to the tourney would schedule D2 opponents as OOC regular season games?

I don't see where they benefit. Surely both are situated ranking wise and geographically they can find an OOC team to put on their schedule. Morrisville would have been better trying for one of the UCHC teams [relatively] nearby that they can skate with like William Smith, Chatham, King's or Wilkes. Hamline couldn't tempt one of the upper half NCHA teams into a non-conference bout? St. Scholastica is close by. Concordia (WI) and Lake Forest are both 350 miles per TES. I'm sure there must be factors I'm missing, but playing an OOC game that won't count in primary criteria seems like a waste of an opportunity to improve their resume during selection time.
      Just a reminder that D2s are already eligible for the National Collegiate (D1&D2) Championship. There was a tightening of body parts last year when D2 and D1 teams formed a scheduling alliance that enabled the D2s to qualify.

The NCAA took care of that when they revised the criteria, otherwise St. Anselm would have made the tournament.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Just a reminder that D2s are already eligible for the National Collegiate (D1&D2) Championship. There was a tightening of body parts last year when D2 and D1 teams formed a scheduling alliance that enabled the D2s to qualify.

The NCAA took care of that when they revised the criteria, otherwise St. Anselm would have made the tournament.
        Exactly. The D2 schools are eligible for the D1 tourney. I see why this helps Franklin Pierce and St. Anselm. They get to play good teams to fill their schedule since there aren't enough D2 to programs for a full schedule and they don't have D1 schools who will play them to fill out their schedule.

I don't see an obvious benefit to Hamline and Morrisville. Morrisville is playing two games that could help them in the selection criteria for the D3 tourney and Hamline is giving up one. Granted, if they play a team on par with them OOC and lose that could hurt them if they don't win their conference autobid, but I think that risk is mitigated by the SOS boost if it's a good enough opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Lol, you're so cute with how naive you are! Very refreshing! The problem begins and ends at the top of the department.
          Your condescending tone is wasted here. I have a better understanding of the situation than you think and probably than you do. Fimiani was a train wreck - way in over his head. Agreed, poor hire by the AD but Moberg bailed on the team in August for a D1 opportunity.
          Not sure what happened with Salerno (rumour is that she’s taking over for Mandigo in a year or two tops) but I’m open to the possibility that there was friction with the AD. Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.

Is the AD a well loved person, probably not, but that’s not a prerequisite in that job is it? Do the last few changes put stress on the program? Absolutely. But that’s a far cry from pitying the person and program.

Given the status of women’s collegiate hockey overall you should be hoping they get the hire right and continue support the program.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
            Your condescending tone is wasted here. I have a better understanding of the situation than you think and probably than you do. Fimiani was a train wreck - way in over his head. Agreed, poor hire by the AD but Moberg bailed on the team in August for a D1 opportunity.
            Not sure what happened with Salerno (rumour is that she’s taking over for Mandigo in a year or two tops) but I’m open to the possibility that there was friction with the AD. Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.

Is the AD a well loved person, probably not, but that’s not a prerequisite in that job is it? Do the last few changes put stress on the program? Absolutely. But that’s a far cry from pitying the person and program.

Given the status of women’s collegiate hockey overall you should be hoping they get the hire right and continue support the program.
            Your response shows that you actually don't know as much as I do about things there but let's put that aside. Do I hope and wish things were different there for the players? Absolutely! Having a turnstile in the head coach's office over the last few coaches isn't a good thing. The one thing in common is...well, you already know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Your response shows that you actually don't know as much as I do about things there but let's put that aside. Do I hope and wish things were different there for the players? Absolutely! Having a turnstile in the head coach's office over the last few coaches isn't a good thing. The one thing in common is...well, you already know the answer.
              My response shows that I may have a little more tact than you might. I’m well aware of the challenge. I’m also well aware of other forces working to offset that ‘challenge’.
              It’s not just WICE having challenges......
              Last edited by GTOWN; 06-26-2018, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                It’s not just WICE having challenges......
                Correct. How nice....we agree on something! Lol.

Comment

Here's one more from the NEHC: http://providence.jwuathletics.com/s...18-19/schedule

Comment

The Connecticut Whale have signed Elmira grad and 2018 First Team All-American forward Sarah Hughson. They've also re-signed defender Hanna Beattie, who graduated Williams in 2017 and played 12 games for the Whale last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      The Connecticut Whale have signed Elmira grad and 2018 First Team All-American forward Sarah Hughson. They've also re-signed defender Hanna Beattie, who graduated Williams in 2017 and played 12 games for the Whale last season.

Is it really a professional league if they are signing meaningful numbers of D3 alumni? Do we see a lot of men's D3 players playing professional hockey? And some of the D3 players weren't even that strong as D3 players..... not a great look for the league in my humble opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        Is it really a professional league if they are signing meaningful numbers of D3 alumni? Do we see a lot of men's D3 players playing professional hockey? And some of the D3 players weren't even that strong as D3 players..... not a great look for the league in my humble opinion...
                        Uhh...have you been following some of the names that have been signed by NWHL teams? The Olympians are loading up again on these teams.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Uhh...have you been following some of the names that have been signed by NWHL teams? The Olympians are loading up again on these teams.
                          Ya most of the former D3 players are filler or practice players.

Comment

Former SNC goalie Brianna Kelly to join Aurora coaching staff. Makes a ton of sense as she's an Illinois native and former Chicago Mission player.

https://www.uscho.com/2018/07/11/for...oaching-staff/

Comment

CT Whale of the NWHL add another DIII alumni, signing the 2017-18 NESCAC Player of the Year Sam Walther (Hamilton '18)

Comment

In addition to her signing with the Whale, Sam Walther will also serve as an assistant coach at Nichols. She joins two former D1 players (Kaleigh Fratkin of BU and Nicole Renault of Syracuse) as the assistant coaches on Nichols HC Mike O'Grady's staff.

https://nicholsathletics.com/news/20...ing-staff.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X