Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    It’s such a rare event that it makes your percentages meaningless. Kids are much more likely to die via car accident, drowning, etc. Driving/riding in a car is by far the most dangerous thing the vast majority of people do.
    Stop with this stupid trope Jesus ****ing Christ. Kids probably die less often from falling off a cliff and yet we still put railings there to prevent it because it's a common sense proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Have you not been paying attention?

5 round limit on magazines
      A fire rate limit slower than finger speed.

I’ve proposed that many times.

That way people can play army and have guns that look cool, but it still lowers the rate and number of rounds that can be gotten off, which will reduce the severity of mass shootings.
      Your proposal regarding a fire rate slower than finger speed is basically banning semi-automatic weapons, I guess. I don't think you'll ever get that accomplished, and even if you did you wouldn't accomplish anything. I can fire a pump action shotgun about as quickly as you can fire a semi-auto shotgun. The recoil from the weapon always causes a momentary pause during which the lever action or pump action or some other action can be operated.

But let's say you got rid of semi-automatic weapons and magazines greater than 5 cartridges. Have you really accomplished anything?

No. You propose that your suggestions will reduce the severity of the "mass shootings." That might be true. I won't concede the point because I think Charles Whitman used a bolt action rifle to kill 18 people. I still think people who want to commit mass homicide are going to be able to do it even with the guns you're restricting them to.

But let's assume you are correct and the "severity" of "mass shootings" is reduced by your changes. What we are really talking about is maybe a handful of events, tops, each year, accounting for what, maybe 100 of the 12,000 annual gun homicides in this country each year?

That's what I keep saying about all of these proposals are "do something, accomplish nothing" proposals. Yet you guys would parade around and brag about all that has been accomplished.

Gun deaths in this country aren't the result of some guy blazing away with a Tommy gun filled with a hundred rounds. The gun deaths you hear about, that you see stories about on tv for a week after they occur, are. But those are a tiny, tiny fraction of gun homicides.

99% of the gun homicides in this country are just caused by a someone shooting one or two shots at another person with a shotgun or a handgun or a deer rifle, and not a result of the Las Vegas type shooting. A guy shoots his wife and kid. Someone shoots another guy in the street.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        Stop with this stupid trope Jesus ****ing Christ. Kids probably die less often from falling off a cliff and yet we still put railings there to prevent it because it's a common sense proposal.
        how many people got killed by lawn darts? Those things are banned.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Your proposal regarding a fire rate slower than finger speed is basically banning semi-automatic weapons, I guess. I don't think you'll ever get that accomplished, and even if you did you wouldn't accomplish anything. I can fire a pump action shotgun about as quickly as you can fire a semi-auto shotgun. The recoil from the weapon always causes a momentary pause during which the lever action or pump action or some other action can be operated.

But let's say you got rid of semi-automatic weapons and magazines greater than 5 cartridges. Have you really accomplished anything?

No. You propose that your suggestions will reduce the severity of the "mass shootings." That might be true. I won't concede the point because I think Charles Whitman used a bolt action rifle to kill 18 people. I still think people who want to commit mass homicide are going to be able to do it even with the guns you're restricting them to.

But let's assume you are correct and the "severity" of "mass shootings" is reduced by your changes. What we are really talking about is maybe a handful of events, tops, each year, accounting for what, maybe 100 of the 12,000 annual gun homicides in this country each year?

That's what I keep saying about all of these proposals are "do something, accomplish nothing" proposals. Yet you guys would parade around and brag about all that has been accomplished.

Gun deaths in this country aren't the result of some guy blazing away with a Tommy gun filled with a hundred rounds. The gun deaths you hear about, that you see stories about on tv for a week after they occur, are. But those are a tiny, tiny fraction of gun homicides.

99% of the gun homicides in this country are just caused by a someone shooting one or two shots at another person with a shotgun or a handgun or a deer rifle, and not a result of the Las Vegas type shooting. A guy shoots his wife and kid. Someone shoots another guy in the street.
          Bingo. Most gun murders are a criminal shooting another criminal or a domestic situation. The odds of a ‘regular’ person dying in a non-domestic shooting are incredibly low.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            I want my Jarts! Jerks.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              It drives me crazy the founders didn’t include lawn darts in the constitution. I can’t believe how shortsighted they were.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I want my Jarts! Jerks.
                Some assembly of "replacement parts" required.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You infer that you do you want solutions to reduce gun deaths. Why don't we ban handguns? That's a 'do something, accomplish something' proposal.

Handguns were used in 19 times as many murders as rifles in 2016, according to the Uniform Crime Reporting data.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/02/...with-handguns/
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

It drives me crazy the founders didn’t include lawn darts in the constitution. I can’t believe how shortsighted they were.
                    Drives me ****ing crazy that they included grenades and I can't buy a ****ing one? What the ****?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      You infer that you do you want solutions to reduce gun deaths. Why don't we ban handguns? That's a 'do something, accomplish something' proposal.

Handguns were used in 19 times as many murders as rifles in 2016, according to the Uniform Crime Reporting data.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/02/...with-handguns/
                      Been working REAL well in places like Chicago, where they are banned. Or how about we take Sadiq Khan's approach in London, once an attack happens with something, we ban that. We're up to firearms, knives, and now cars. Maybe osmeone will use a hairspray can to create a makeshift grenade, and that can get banned next. Or maybe like that one scene in Under Siege 2 where Seagal's character fabricates an explosive, and we can ban all those ingredients.

What are the motivations behind all of these things happening, and what sort of chemical or biological inducer would result in an amplification of these sorts of motivations?

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Drives me ****ing crazy that they included grenades and I can't buy a ****ing one? What the ****?
                        You need to become part of the deep state and then you can purchase all you want.

Comment

You need to become part of the deep state and then you can purchase all you want.
                          Who says I'm not? Define Deep State. Cause with the President's definition just about everyone outside of his basket of deplorables is a deep stater.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            ...Or how about we take Sadiq Khan's approach in London, once an attack happens with something, we ban that. We're up to ... cars. ...
                            Do you not understand how pollution elimination and congestion charging for driving in London during the "ban" works?

I have long given you much more benefit of the doubt on this board than many others, but you are swiftly approaching a bridge too far as of late.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Even by your own admission 18 is a lot less than 50-60 killed (whatever the total in Vegas ended up being) and 100's wounded. So why exactly are you against these common sense proposals again?

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                Even by your own admission 18 is a lot less than 50-60 killed (whatever the total in Vegas ended up being) and 100's wounded. So why exactly are you against these common sense proposals again?
                                It's in the Constitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X