This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    What amendment says if you don't use a right you lose that right?
    That's why it matters.
    You don't lose a right simply because you chose not to always exercise that right.
    If you don’t choose to request the assistance of counsel when charged with a crime you lose that right.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      If you don’t choose to request the assistance of counsel when charged with a crime you lose that right.
      I dont think that is true...pretty sure the judge will ask you and you will have to expressly deny the right at trial. (in custody you are correct though)

BTW you forget that since you are given Miranda when arrested not asking for council post Miranda is tacitly agreeing that you dont want counsel at that time. You have to be offered the opportunity though. If you try and ask for counsel later they cannot deny you counsel that right is always in play. (it is never lost it just needs to be invoked) To parallel what is going on with voting every state that wants to purge the rolls would need to allow for same day registration.

I am still waiting for an answer as to why there needs to be voter rolls purged though. What is the big deal? There is no voter fraud so why is it important? It solves no problems but has the potential to cause many...seems like a complete waste of time and effort.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        But that does not mean that you lose it for every other crime or even for that crime if you chose to ask later. This does unless you reregister...and without moving you should not have to.
        Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 06-12-2018, 10:08 PM.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          That's a little like saying if I chose not to vote in a given election I lose the right to vote in that election. If I choose not to request counsel for 5 separate crimes over 8 years, I do not waive the right to counsel at any time in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            That's why it matters.
            You don't lose a right simply because you chose not to always exercise that right.
            Yeah but those lazy blacks deserve it so...

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              That's a little like saying if I chose not to vote in a given election I lose the right to vote in that election. If I choose not to request counsel for 5 separate crimes over 8 years, I do not waive the right to counsel at any time in the future.
              But that’s the thing. No one loses their “right” to vote here. All they have to do is register, just like when I moved.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

But that’s the thing. No one loses their “right” to vote here. All they have to do is register, just like when I moved.
                And again...if they don't know they aren't registered any more when they go to vote and their state does not have same day...and most dont....then the right IS being taken away.
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

How would they know to register if they don't know they're no longer on the voting rolls until they show up to vote and can't?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    How would they know to register if they don't know they're no longer on the voting rolls until they show up to vote and can't?
                    Can one log into gov sites and see?
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Funny, but why the need for so many amendments tweaking this “right” if it is so absolute

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Can one log into gov sites and see?
                        Doesn't the fact you don't know say enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Doesn't the fact you don't know say enough?
                          Mookie knows he is registered cause he votes.

Plus mookie can’t access many gov websites since he is outside the US to even check

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            That's why it matters.
                            Could you imagine if the Democrats tried to propose taking someone’s guns if they didn’t vote every six years?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Kep

Think you're still on the voting rolls in PoR, MD?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Kep

Think you're still on the voting rolls in PoR, MD?
                                I won't be voting there so why would I care?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X