This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Nothing you can do when that ***** goes out and steals the primary. Lock her up.
    Bern has the votes!!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      If only there was something we could have done to get that 5th vote...
      Like nominating someone more electorally appetizing than transmissible spongiform encephalopathy.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Like nominating someone more electorally appetizing than transmissible spongiform encephalopathy.
        H. Clinton
        John Kerry
        Al Gore
        Mike Dukakis
        Walter Mondale

The list goes on and on.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
          In one breath you minimize the issue as simply a "political question" and in the next say R's are being disenfranchised. Seems like a question that goes to the very core of our democratic system.
          It is. But it has been part of the US political process since the founding of the republic without court interference.

The solution is also political - make sure that the legislature can't do that via the ballot box.

One of the questions I plan to ask the MD legislative candidates this fall is their position on the gerrymander. If they think it's no big deal, they will not get my vote.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            It is. But it has been part of the US political process since the founding of the republic without court interference.
            As has bribery.

It's time for both those things to die.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gerrymandering is one of those issues where every voter should mobilize against both parties. When representatives can choose their voters the entire American democracy falls to ruin.

Removing partisan politics from drawing districts is a bare minimum requirement for a working democracy.
              As laudable as your goals may be, I'd prefer Dems (and Goopers as well) to focus on what's achievable in the here and now. To that end, the state lawsuit that forced less partisan lines in PA is a good template for what could work elsewhere. There's also the laws enacted by citizens initiatives in Florida and Arizona that either curbed gerrymandering or put it in the hands of an independent commission. I'd be happy to see that applied in places like WI, MI, NC and OH as well as IL, MD, MA or any other Dem gerrymander.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Hey, your misogyny helped make this happen so every time corporate American wins at the SCOTUS make sure to give yourself a pat on the back (or a flogging, whichever you prefer).

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  As laudable as your goals may be, I'd prefer Dems (and Goopers as well) to focus on what's achievable in the here and now. To that end, the state lawsuit that forced less partisan lines in PA is a good template for what could work elsewhere. There's also the laws enacted by citizens initiatives in Florida and Arizona that either curbed gerrymandering or put it in the hands of an independent commission. I'd be happy to see that applied in places like WI, MI, NC and OH as well as IL, MD, MA or any other Dem gerrymander.
                  I've never understood the reaction to aspiration that says "that's not achievable." So what? So, just forget about it?

We should use the end of partisan districts and the end of political bribery as stars to navigate by while we build towards those goals with policies. The important thing to remember with both these issues is they aren't the usual left vs right, they are voters vs the political establishment. These are reforms we are going to have to force on both unwilling parties. It's their rent-seeking that we have to overturn. The GOP and Democratic Establishment will squeal like stuck pigs against eliminating either of these criminal enterprises. We will have to fight together.

And that's very good practice -- voters of both parties joining forces to fight the political class, because it's not that big a leap afterwards to the 99% fighting the 1%.

Left vs right politics is, in large part, just black vs white writ large: a way to divide the sheep so the wolves can feed.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    5-4. What did you expect? They're not hiding it anymore.
                    9-0
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

The solution is also political - make sure that the legislature can't do that via the ballot box.

One of the questions I plan to ask the MD legislative candidates this fall is their position on the gerrymander. If they think it's no big deal, they will not get my vote.
                      So essentially your solution to R's being disenfranchised is for R's to use their votes to effect change. Do you not see the logical flaw there?

Comment

I've never understood the reaction to aspiration that says "that's not achievable." So what? So, just forget about it?

We should use the end of partisan districts and the end of political bribery as stars to navigate by while we build towards those goals with policies. The important thing to remember with both these issues is they aren't the usual left vs right, they are voters vs the political establishment. These are reforms we are going to have to force on both unwilling parties. It's their rent-seeking that we have to overturn. The GOP and Democratic Establishment will squeal like stuck pigs against eliminating either of these criminal enterprises. We will have to fight together.

And that's very good practice -- voters of both parties joining forces to fight the political class, because it's not that big a leap afterwards to the 99% fighting the 1%.

Left vs right politics is, in large part, just black vs white writ large: a way to divide the sheep so the wolves can feed.
                        Kep its not that your heart isn't in the right place. Its just that once again you're giving righty voters way more credit than they've actually earned. Yes everyone should strive for fair districts regardless of ideology but that ignores the fact that approx. half the voters are in a cult. I know you dream of a utopian society where common sense objectives unite everyone, but I'd ask you to consider what happens when common sense doesn't appeal to the entire right end of the spectrum?

National anti-gerrymandering legislation is not achievable because the SCOTUS stands in the way. Much like overturning Citizens United. So, confining this view to our lifetimes, a state by state assault on the problem is what's needed and achievable. Its already happened in places like FL and AZ. Really we're talking a handful of states that need to be addressed. In no particular order NC, MD, OH, IL, WI, and MI. Most other states are either too small to matter, already have laws in place, or are partisan enough that even a change in redistricting law wouldn't really affect their representation (think Mass or Tennessee).

Comment

Maryland was heavily gerrymandered for the Democrats.

*partisan claptrap*
                          Gerrymandering should end everywhere. That's why I'm planning to vote for this in the fall:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._independ.html

I'm sure it will be bloody, but at least the voters will decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Gerrymandering should end everywhere. That's why I'm planning to vote for this in the fall:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._independ.html

I'm sure it will be bloody, but at least the voters will decide.
                            Rulers, protractors, and pens.

QED
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

5-4 States can now collect sales tax on online purchases.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

5-4 States can now collect sales tax on online purchases.
                                I must not get the details on that lawsuit involved because it seems that it'd be obvious. Maybe because Michigan started it a year or two ago.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X