LSQRank (Final) 2017-2018 Season North America Womens Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSQRank (Final) 2017-2018 Season North America Womens Hockey

I don't pretend to know how this "LSQRank" computer modeling system works, but I found the results interesting. Of the NCAA D1 teams, the Wisconsin BADgers came out on top, following by the Clarkson Golden Knights and the BC Eagles:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtop...asc&highlight=
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: LSQRank (Final) 2017-2018 Season North America Womens Hockey

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I don't pretend to know how this "LSQRank" computer modeling system works, but I found the results interesting. Of the NCAA D1 teams, the Wisconsin BADgers came out on top, following by the Clarkson Golden Knights and the BC Eagles:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtop...asc&highlight=
    Wow this is great stuff.

Union is worse than SSM lol
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Wow this is great stuff.

Union is worse than SSM lol
      I was a little surprised (and skeptical) that SSM is ranked lower than Edina and Blake.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I was a little surprised (and skeptical) that SSM is ranked lower than Edina and Blake.
        I liked how a Minnesota high school dad found a Minnesota high school team better than a large number of Division 1, CWHL and NWHL teams. And the CIS and D3 champs.

I'm pretty sure when he completes the list there will at least a couple NHL teams in there as well.

Comment

I'm sure what you meant to say was "Hey look at Union on the first page" or something like that...

Comment

Must be some kind of least square goals scored/allowed (LSQ), but without common opponents such a ranking system is meaningless. Even if the competition graph were connected this kind of model is pretty much useless.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
              I liked how a Minnesota high school dad found a Minnesota high school team better than a large number of Division 1, CWHL and NWHL teams. And the CIS and D3 champs.

I'm pretty sure when he completes the list there will at least a couple NHL teams in there as well.
              Hmmm...Kinda like you using selective stats for most of your posts, eh?
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Yes because somehow Minnesota hockey dads infiltrated the rankings to make their daughters teams look better?

I have issue with the validity and value of this but that previous argument is silly.

Comment

According to this poll Edina is about equal to Merrimack. Given the Gophers results against Merrimack this year ...

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    Yes because somehow Minnesota hockey dads infiltrated the rankings to make their daughters teams look better?

I have issue with the validity and value of this but that previous argument is silly.
                    It's the off-season so if someone wants to put together a list ranking women's hockey teams, more power to them. Will there be issues with it? Sure, but considering there isn't much else going on now it's at least entertaining to think about.

Besides, I have, and I know you have as well, attended a number of girls high school games involving the top Minnesota teams like Edina, Blake and Centennial and have seen first hand how good they are. Edina and Blake, in particular, are loaded with D1 talent so it's not that hard to imagine that they could be very competitive with SSM as well as the lowest level D1 teams.

Comment

According to this poll Edina is about equal to Merrimack. Given the Gophers results against Merrimack this year ...
                      See, there you go...

Comment

You should check out some HS Hockey up in MN. Many are jealous Minnesotans get for Free what the Easter bunch have to write many checks for. Indiana Basketball and Minnesota Hockey.. It's no secret even some girls teams draw fans up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
                          You should check out some HS Hockey up in MN.
                          I'm guessing that would be a pretty much non-existent priority for EF1. I'm perfectly fine with that prioritization.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
                            wut

Comment

Originally posted by LSQRank
                              BTW, I don't have any kids or grandchildren in the mix of MN HS hockey for at least 4 years now. Mostly recruit for boys Jr A teams in spare time. Used the Women's data to test the mathematics.
                              You built this? This whole undertaking is *spectacular*; I'm honestly in awe. Whether some of the intraleague stuff exactly passes the eyeball test or not doesn't matter, being able to use *something* mathematically in an attempt to connect every team and build a sound ranking is just sensational.

Comment

Working...
                              X