Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Ohio State being in the CHA makes more travel sense than Ohio State being in the WCHA, and Lindenwood can go keep the WCHA playoff format messed up after Ohio State leaves.
    Bus travel is cheaper than air travel. Dollars matter, of course. But as far as I'm concerned, that would be the only net gain of a switch to the CHA. Among other things, the time spent traveling would likely increase.

I'd acknowledge that being in the same conference as Penn State would be a good thing. But losing the conference partnership with Minnesota & Wisconsin is too high a price to pay. To say nothing of the fact we now have almost 20 years of history with Bemidji, Duluth, Mankato & St. Cloud.

For these and many other reasons, I remain opposed to the switch. But since I read Lindsay's original comment as mostly whimsical, I'll leave it at that.

As for Lindenwood, having them join the WCHA sounds like a win-win, assuming that doesn't screw things up for the CHA. It would be good for the WCHA to return to 8 members.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      To say nothing of the fact we now have almost 20 years of history with Bemidji, Duluth, Mankato & St. Cloud.

For these and many other reasons, I remain opposed to the switch. But since I read Lindsay's original comment as mostly whimsical, I'll leave it at that
      Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. They’d be at ten teams, if it weren’t for programs getting cut, or leaving to a more geographically appropriate conference. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.

Nothing seems set at this point, and the WCHA has already released its schedule so this seems at least a year away which is good I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. They’d be at ten teams, if it weren’t for programs getting cut, or leaving to a more geographically appropriate conference. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.

Nothing seems set at this point, and the WCHA has already released its schedule so this seems at least a year away which is good I guess.
        I made a joke of OSU joining CHA and got toasted for it because someone assumed I was serious. It would be a great move for OSU but not so good for the quality of opponent in the WCHA. From a logistics stand point it makes sense but it is not what my heart wants. Except for a couple of years they succumbed to the goon squad OSU has had some good years and I'd hate to lose them

Comment

Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.
          If nothing happens until 2019-20, and the conferences do what seems like the obvious choice, the CHA can replace Lindenwood with LIU-Brooklyn and remain at six teams, and the WCHA can add Lindenwood (and keep Ohio State) and be at eight teams - everybody wins.

Comment

can't stand Linwood's rink...bad memories...UGH

Comment

Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team...So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.
              Agreed. In fact, if it knocked the CHA down to five, I'd be opposed to adding Lindenwoood. We can afford to be better citizens than that.

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              I made a joke of OSU joining CHA and got toasted for it because someone assumed I was serious. It would be a great move for OSU but not so good for the quality of opponent in the WCHA. From a logistics stand point it makes sense but it is not what my heart wants...
              Hope I wasn't the toaster.

But I sincerely disagree that it "would be a great move for OSU." IMHO, the OSU program would be trading down in every respect except travel cost. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we'd be joining a league that's "bad" in any way. But we would be taking a step backward in terms of excellence.

Many have argued the following:

1. The CHA Autobid is an "easier path" to the NCAA tournament; and that
              2. This factor is intoxicatingly attractive.

I've always rejected this line of reasoning. Why sneak into the tournament to grab a participation ribbon? Competing in the strongest possible league is the best way to prepare for the tournament. Once in the tournament, I want the team to be capable of doing some damage, like the 2017-18 Buckeyes did. Seeking an easier path undercuts that approach. Further, knowledgeable recruits would see right through such a ruse. Recruiting would likely suffer, particularly in the Upper Midwest.

To finish on a positive note, I'm glad your heart wants us to stay.

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
              If nothing happens until 2019-20, and the conferences do what seems like the obvious choice, the CHA can replace Lindenwood with LIU-Brooklyn and remain at six teams, and the WCHA can add Lindenwood (and keep Ohio State) and be at eight teams - everybody wins.
              This.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Agreed. In fact, if it knocked the CHA down to five, I'd be opposed to adding Lindenwoood. We can afford to be better citizens than that.

Hope I wasn't the toaster.

But I sincerely disagree that it "would be a great move for OSU." IMHO, the OSU program would be trading down in every respect except travel cost. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we'd be joining a league that's "bad" in any way. But we would be taking a step backward in terms of excellence.

Many have argued the following:

1. The CHA Autobid is an "easier path" to the NCAA tournament; and that
                2. This factor is intoxicatingly attractive.

I've always rejected this line of reasoning. Why sneak into the tournament to grab a participation ribbon? Competing in the strongest possible league is the best way to prepare for the tournament. Once in the tournament, I want the team to be capable of doing some damage, like the 2017-18 Buckeyes did. Seeking an easier path undercuts that approach. Further, knowledgeable recruits would see right through such a ruse. Recruiting would likely suffer, particularly in the Upper Midwest.

To finish on a positive note, I'm glad your heart wants us to stay.

This.
                You do realize OSU lost to half the CHA this year right?

Big picture, CHA will adapt to whatever comes their way.

Comment

Ya, OSU is certainly not "too good" for the CHA. The CHA would be a great place for them to be.

Comment

Completely familiar with the record.

I was addressing the argument that's been made most frequently over the years. (as to why OSU should move) But yes. Winning a CHA Title isn't nearly as easy as many have argued. I've personally made that point multiple times over the years.

Please understand, it's just not possible to cover every relevant point in a single post -- although I'm often guilty of trying. In this case I was actually trying to avoid being comprehensive, because I've addressed this subject so many times over the years.

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    Ya, OSU is certainly not "too good" for the CHA. The CHA would be a great place for them to be.
                    Not a fan of realignment. As far as I'm concerned, those who want to justify a move bear the burden of proof. And when it comes to changing conferences, I set the bar high.

Sure, the CHA is a good league. And suggesting that OSU join it isn't offensive. But if we like the league we're in and the league continues to want us, then others ought to respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                      I looked at OSU’s record against CHA teams last year and they were 5 and 3. Not stellar but good.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        I looked at OSU’s record against CHA teams last year and they were 5 and 3. Not stellar but good.
                        Good by whose standards?
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

A 625 winning percentage is good by my standards but not great. If I recall, you were 0 and 1 against OSU which is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                            A 625 winning percentage is good by my standards but not great. If I recall, you were 0 and 1 against OSU which is not good.
                            It most certainly is not, but no one is saying that it was lol
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              It would be a great move for OSU but not so good for the quality of opponent in the WCHA.
                              I think you've got that backwards. A pretty significant chunk of their roster isn't playing for OSU if they're not in the WCHA.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                I think you've got that backwards. A pretty significant chunk of their roster isn't playing for OSU if they're not in the WCHA.
                                Really? You think a bunch more of the players would transfer out? Don't you think they'd love a legitimate chance at winning a conference championship and getting an AQ to the national tournament? The odds of them achieving both of those goals are way higher in the CHA. In my opinion they will never win the WCHA tournament which means they would always have to rely on the chance of getting an at-large bid. That significantly reduces their odds of getting into the national tournament on a consistent basis. Clarkson has proven that you DO NOT need to play in the WCHA during the regular season in order to prepare to win a National Championship.

Being in the strongest conference doesn't necessarily help you get to the national tournament. The same thing holds true in D3 hockey. It's been argued for years that the NESCAC is the strongest D3 conference therefore it's better to play there than any other conference to make it to the D3 national tournament, but Middlebury is still the only team in that conference that consistently makes it to the D3 national tournament. Middlebury in the NESCAC is comparable to Wisconsin or Minnesota in the WCHA.
                                Last edited by shelfit; 06-06-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X