Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Veteran

Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Security questions that ask for your "favorite" something. I will never remember what I listed as my favorite color.

Also, unrelated, people at work that ask "hey, could you help me with something?" at 4:50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Security questions that ask for your "favorite" something. I will never remember what I listed as my favorite color.

Also, unrelated, people at work that ask "hey, could you help me with something?" at 4:50 pm.
    SOmeone who worked in IT once told me to have the same answer no matter what the question- what is your favorite movie?- Peas. What was the brand of your first car? Peas

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    SOmeone who worked in IT once told me to have the same answer no matter what the question- what is your favorite movie?- Peas. What was the brand of your first car? Peas
    The only prob with that is once a hacker finds the answer....

I have my sites compartmentalized. Social sites have one password, banking has its unique, emails have another answer, obviously work has another answer.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Just use the Correct Horse Battery Staple method.

Effectively unbreakable. Only thing better is two-factor. And only thing better than that is physical key.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Just use the Correct Horse Battery Staple method.

Effectively unbreakable. Only thing better is two-factor. And only thing better than that is physical key.
    What??

Mr les got an email (work email) from Fandango confirming purchase of tix to see a movie at a local place purchased with Visa Card that is not ours. He is not the slightest bit concerned. After reading various things here and elsewhere, I am. First he thinks I am crazy. Then decides, oh, maybe he should see if someone opened a card in his name. So much gear grinding!!!
    -Visa has no way of telling you whether you have this card, no way to even tell you when your last Visa was issued. They put you on hold forever before disavowing all knowledge of anything helpful.
    -None of the Credit checking co has a live person. Hold >20 min then an automated telephone tree to verbally give info. Chat is BS- automated, clearly not a human. Punts you to a website. Websites punt you to a collective website-
    -They tell you to file an alert before checking but don't tell you if you file an alert it triggers a 90 day freeze of your ability to get info they tell you is available online
    -Fandango deserves the 1 star rating they have on every website- Someone used fraudulent card/ your email? Surely a typing error. THey can't do anything. Maybe they'll look into it in the next few days and maybe get back to us by next week if they decide it is important.
    -the Univ has no IT help available after normal business day (what the hell kind of U does this- kids do not function until after dark!)
    -Told to file police report but police aren't sure why- we don't have the info we need to do that (because, you know we have to do all the other stuff that no one has an avenue to let us do).

Christmas on a cracker.
    Last edited by leswp1; 07-26-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Lucia Apologist

What??

Mr les got an email (work email) from Fandango confirming purchase of tix to see a movie at a local place purchased with Visa Card that is not ours. He is not the slightest bit concerned. After reading various things here and elsewhere, I am. First he thinks I am crazy. Then decides, oh, maybe he should see if someone opened a card in his name. So much gear grinding!!!
    -Visa has no way of telling you whether you have this card, no way to even tell you when your last Visa was issued. They put you on hold forever before disavowing all knowledge of anything helpful.
    -None of the Credit checking co has a live person. Hold >20 min then an automated telephone tree to verbally give info. Chat is BS- automated, clearly not a human. Punts you to a website. Websites punt you to a collective website-
    -They don't tell you if you file an alert it freezes your ability to get info they tell you is available online for 90 days
    -Fandango deserves the 1 star rating they have on every website- Someone used fraudulent card/ your email? Surely a typing error. THey can't do anything. Maybe they'll look into it in the next few days and maybe get back to us by next week if they decide it is important.
    -the Univ has no IT help available after normal business day (what the hell kind of U does this- kids do not function until after dark!)
    -Told to file police report but police aren't sure why- we don't have the info we need to do that (because, you know we have to do all the other stuff that no one has an avenue to let us do.

Christmas on a cracker.
    https://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I have never heard of that.

I have never heard of that.
    It's from a long running web comic:
    https://xkcd.com/936/

Dx, I've had websites reject my created password of "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple" as being "too common." Other words in a sequence like that were allowed though.

I've also known people who use the DMV to provide very good random letter/number combinations, especially ones that need renewing yearly.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    It's from a long running web comic:
    Dx, I've had websites reject my created password of "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple" as being "too common." Other words in a sequence like that were allowed though.
    lol. That's unreal. I'd be a little scared that the websites doing that don't understand security basics.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

My car won’t treat me like an adult.

Picked up a couple of 2 x 6 x 12s. Of course the tailgate won’t close. So I bungeed the tailgate, tied a flag on the 2 x 6s and proceeded home with the windows open. I listened to a warning beep all the way home. I know I shouldn’t drive with the tailgate open, but I had no choice. Please warn me, then SHUT UP.

Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post

Picked up a couple of 2 x 6 x 12s. Of course the tailgate won’t close. So I bungeed the tailgate, tied a flag on the 2 x 6s and proceeded home with the windows open. I listened to a warning beep all the way home. I know I shouldn’t drive with the tailgate open, but I had no choice. Please warn me, then SHUT UP.
    Huh, have never had that problem.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by CLS View Post

It's become a more common thing. When something that interferes with safety systems isn't quite right, and it can be "corrected" by the driver or a passenger, then the beeps don't stop coming if the vehicle is going more than 5MPH. My passenger seatbelt warning is like that. It drives my wife crazy if she set her purse on the passenger seat, or her cell phone is being charged and creating enough of an EMF to make the sensor think sufficient weight is on the seat to be a person.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I doubt emf is a big issue from a charging cell phone

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I doubt emf is a big issue from a charging cell phone

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I can have my cell phone on the seat while not being charged, and there's no issue. If it's being charged, and the indicator says it's still less than ~98%, there not issue. If the charge approaches 100%, then my seatbelt indicator will sound. It's not that it happens a fraction of the time, it's happening each and every time. The EMF from a fully charged battery that's still plugged into the charger is the only thing I can think of that would create a large enough electrical signal to engage the sensor on the bottom of the seat.

Any better ideas out there? I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's become a more common thing. When something that interferes with safety systems isn't quite right, and it can be "corrected" by the driver or a passenger, then the beeps don't stop coming if the vehicle is going more than 5MPH. My passenger seatbelt warning is like that. It drives my wife crazy if she set her purse on the passenger seat, or her cell phone is being charged and creating enough of an EMF to make the sensor think sufficient weight is on the seat to be a person.
    This makes me bananas. I put my purse on my seat when I am out and about and my workbag on my seat on my way to work and both of them will set off the seatbelt sensor if they're not positioned correctly on the seat. It shouldn't be as irritating as it is, but it makes me crazy. Surprisingly, it happens less often in my new car (2018 Honda) than it did in my old car (2008 Mini).

Veteran

Being told to smile by strangers (and they are always men) grinds my gears. Unless they would say the same thing to a male (and most NEVER would).

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Being told to smile by strangers (and they are always men) grinds my gears. Unless they would say the same thing to a male (and most NEVER would).
    That reminds me (NSFW).
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Ask with a blank look, "Why would you ask me that question?" and then say nothing else, just look curious and wait for them to say something. Don't say anything else. THey will only do it once

Veteran
    Ask with a blank look, "Why would you ask me that question?" and then say nothing else, just look curious and wait for them to say something. Don't say anything else. THey will only do it once
    Someone actually said this to me once while we were sitting on the bench PLAYING HOCKEY. I am not kidding. In the middle of a ****ing hockey game where not one person is smiling... he chose to give ME a hard time. And then he had no idea why it ****ed me off.

Someone actually said this to me once while we were sitting on the bench PLAYING HOCKEY. I am not kidding. In the middle of a ****ing hockey game where not one person is smiling... he chose to give ME a hard time. And then he had no idea why it ****ed me off.
    Stick between the legs 'by accident' as you hop over the boards?

Thread Information