Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    The "good" strip clubs...the women do it because it's a boatload of cash, and it's their choice to perform that job. When the NoDak oil boom was at the top of its game, Las Vegas strippers would travel up to the clubs in NoDak, because it was better money (yes, you read that right).

The shady ones, or not good ones, well, it's income, one supposes (I'll make no other assumptions, but we have all heard the stereotypes).

That being said, I've been in 2 clubs. The Sartell one was because I was sure that if I didn't go, I'd miss out on a story. The other one was Deja Vu in Mpls, and my college roommate and I took his niece and her friend. We were the "fake boyfriends" (there was a 3 year difference in age, btw) in case some jack bags tried hitting on them or something.

Never spent a dollar in either place. My cover charges were covered by friends both times.
    This is all true. I'll just leave it for now, and if I decide to edit it, I can go back and do it later.
    Last edited by MissThundercat; 10-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    But with the piece I posted, does it sound self-righteous? That's all I want to know.
    The first half is a little curmudgeony. The second half seems fine. It explains the your mindset. Iíd spend more time on that. A lot more. And the point isnít to fit this into a tweet, I donít think (itís not my book). Itís to thoroughly expound your feelings and thoughts at the time. Go into the why and what.

Donít preach at the children unless overly sassy is what youíre going for. If itís not, then that doesnít add to the story. Write with a purpose. Everything should be carefully considered. Donít put parsley on the plate unless you want the diner to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The first half is a little curmudgeony. The second half seems fine. It explains the your mindset. Iíd spend more time on that. A lot more. And the point isnít to fit this into a tweet, I donít think (itís not my book). Itís to thoroughly expound your feelings and thoughts at the time. Go into the why and what.

Donít preach at the children unless overly sassy is what youíre going for. If itís not, then that doesnít add to the story. Write with a purpose. Everything should be carefully considered. Donít put parsley on the plate unless you want the diner to eat it.
    Agreed. Go with the mindset at the time, don't preach. Explain WHY you felt the way you did, don't tell others why you think their mindset is wrong. It's a fine line, but you can do it. You're smart enough.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Well, hereís the thing. Tell people theyíre wrong if thatís what youíre trying to do. You should do that. You have a unique perspective.

Anyways, Iím not sure youíre doing that here. Iím not sure rube understands my post. The children comment just seems snide. But again, itís all about the tone you want to take. It could be cheeky and fun if the rest of your book is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Agreed. Go with the mindset at the time, don't preach. Explain WHY you felt the way you did, don't tell others why you think their mindset is wrong. It's a fine line, but you can do it. You're smart enough.
    Thank you for your honest feedback. It is a first draft, and it will undergo a few revisions before publishing. But I wanted to ask now.
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka

Well, hereís the thing. Tell people theyíre wrong if thatís what youíre trying to do. You should do that. You have a unique perspective.

Anyways, Iím not sure youíre doing that here. Iím not sure rube understands my post. The children comment just seems snide. But again, itís all about the tone you want to take. It could be cheeky and fun if the rest of your book is like that.
    I understand your post.

Her entry is explaining why she felt strip clubs were wrong. I don't think writing about how others feel (this is wrong and you should not do this) fits into what she's trying to do overall (preaching, criticism on others, etc). Keeping it in view of one's perspective seems to be the goal, so stay true to that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Related: the legalization of marijuana.

It's not my thing. I couldn't care less what others do, but it's not for me, and here's why. Same sort of thing.

For the book, it will go through a few revisions before publishing, so I'm getting thoughts on paper now and those thoughts will be refined into something shiny. Right now, just started page 23.

Also... what really grinds my gears? I know I'm creative. But I hate the fact that my creativity and inspiration strike just before bed. Last night, I could have put on another cup of coffee and written 20-30 more pages in my book, or baked a coffee cake or muffins last night.
    ― Franz Kafka

The fact that Deadspin now has autoplay videos and there's no way to get around them.
    ― Franz Kafka

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    The fact that Deadspin now has autoplay videos and there's no way to get around them.
    Same. Plus their MLS coverage grinds my gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Same. Plus their MLS coverage grinds my gears.
    Billy?
    ― Franz Kafka

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Billy?
    Surprisingly itís not Billy boy this time, though Iím sure he has an influence.

No, itís their constant whining about the new playoff format. They believe it cheapens the regular season because ďa good team can be eliminated in one game!Ē completely ignoring the fact that the previous format actually eliminated any advantage the higher seeds got with the away goals rule and typically led to lower seeds winning.

The argument essentially boiled down to the old ďthatís not how they do it in Europe!Ē argument.

And they keep pushing it despite everyone else, fans included, liking the new format and talking about how much being the home team is important.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Job hunting blows.
    This is still true, but it finally panned out. Start my new job sometime next month. Trading a small pay cut for (hopefully) improved working conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    This is still true, but it finally panned out. Start my new job sometime next month. Trading a small pay cut for (hopefully) improved working conditions.
    Congratulations, good sir.

Job hunting also blows for me right now, considering everything in my field either is bare minimum part time or I need to fast forward to 2022 with my MSW and a license. That being said, I'm finding some hits and for one, I have to do a video interview tonight for an assistant job with a behavioral health firm.
    ― Franz Kafka

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Started a new job this week. HR still hasn't officially cleared 9 of 25 of us for hire. So, we have no employee numbers, no badges, etc...Couldn't attend their mandatory "Welcome to the Company" thing since we couldn't register for it. Now we have to have our class schedules rearranged to accommodate the next one, and "lose" a day off (technically we don't lose it since we just had that day off instead...but it turns one of my four day weeks into a 5 day week).

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

The Babylon Bee's continued existence is a mockery of morality.
    ― Franz Kafka

Lucia Apologist

Weddings are ****ing god**** expensive.

Weddings are ****ing god**** expensive.
    *insertNicCageYouDon'tSaymeme*

Lucia Apologist

I knew they were expensive. Not this expensive.

Food and venue is going to be the cost of what I thought was going to be the cost of the entire out-the-door wedding cost.

I knew they were expensive. Not this expensive.

Food and venue is going to be the cost of what I thought was going to be the cost of the entire out-the-door wedding cost.
    When I was planning, venue cost was there, but not food. Photog.....hoo boy. Unless you go back-door old-school or know someone in every area you need? Oooooof. Start shelling out the dough.

Thread Information