Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

I will be fair, I handwash my glassware. There are some delicate/favorite glasses that I'm afraid will get broken in the dishwasher, and yes, I've had some that have broken. Lesson learned.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

The winter storm that began last night and looks like it may run into tomorrow evening is grinding my gears. It shouldn't; I know that. I chose to live where I live, but the weather all week was warm, the river broke up already even though it's really early, and the ground was showing through the snow in places. Sideways snow in mid-April, though...

Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post
    The winter storm that began last night and looks like it may run into tomorrow evening is grinding my gears. It shouldn't; I know that. I chose to live where I live, but the weather all week was warm, the river broke up already even though it's really early, and the ground was showing through the snow in places. Sideways snow in mid-April, though...

Welcome to Apr 11 in MN. Pure blizzard/heavy snowfall. Sat, it was warm out, snow disappeared. Heck one year in Duluth, we got about 6 inches of snow in early May, IIRC. One day deal, melted immediately, but still.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

The many years I lived in Colorado, this stuff happened, too. I'm pretty sure the worst blizzard I've ever seen was in May in Denver. I'm back in the bush after seven years away, and all winter I heard that it doesn't snow as much as it used to (anyone who believes climate change isn't real, just move closer to the poles), that breakup happens before school gets out rather than in late May or June, and that all the snow melts by the end of school. Then this nonsense. LOL

All that said, I'm really just whining.

Veteran

There is an extremely loud lady in a nearby cube that gives a running commentary to everything she does during the day. She needs to be shot. Also, she talks with food in her mouth.
    Last edited by jen; 04-29-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    There is an extremely loud lady in a nearby cube that gives a running commentary to everything she does during the day. She needs to be shot. Also, she talks with food in her mouth.
    Maybe she's communicating with the cube spirits?

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Doing a social problem analysis for grad school. On my topic, LGBT suicide rate, i could write for 50 pages at least. But the annoyance is trying to condense it to 5 pages and still hit on everything I'm supposed to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Doing a social problem analysis for grad school. On my topic, LGBT suicide rate, i could write for 50 pages at least. But the annoyance is trying to condense it to 5 pages and still hit on everything I'm supposed to discuss.
    Can you condense it down to something that would fit in a reply?

Should we be worried about you?

Don't think of that as an annoyance - learning to write concisely without losing content is probably the most valuable part of the assignment. It may be cliche, but view this as an opportunity to hone that skill instead and your annoyance is what will end up on the cutting room floor.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

Huh.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Huh.
    Reading comprehension doesn’t seem to be strong in him.

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Write 10 pages, then review and trim or cut the parts that belabor the point.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Cripes! You talk about LGBT suicide issues. You're transitioning. I don't keep up on those things because it doesn't directly concern me.

But if there is an increased risk of suicide in your population pool, I'm concerned that if you feel that way we'd be here for you.

But, if you want to believe something different, gobright ahead.

Cripes! You talk about LGBT suicide issues. You're transitioning. I don't keep up on those things because it doesn't directly concern me.

But if there is an increased risk of suicide in your population pool, I'm concerned that if you feel that way we'd be here for you.

That's is what I read. I wasn't sure why everyone went pearshaped. I thought it was you being caring.

Oh, that's what you meant. Next time, please provide further context.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

I get what you're saying, I think. Back in 8th grade, we could do a science project or a research paper (10 pages, no more, no less, single spaced, etc etc). A buddy of mine at the time said on his paper on black holes, "I can write 3 pages, or I could write 20. 10 pages is difficult." Our circle of friends all understood.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    That's is what I read. I wasn't sure why everyone went pearshaped. I thought it was you being caring.
    Ditto. People should stop trying to see the shadows on the wall and just turn on a light.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ditto. People should stop trying to see the shadows on the wall and just turn on a light.
    Considering the subject, the source (previous post history) and the lack of clarity it wasn't that illogical of a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Considering the subject, the source (previous post history) and the lack of clarity it wasn't that illogical of a question.
    When I read Joe's initial response I honestly had no idea as to what he intended. My first thought was that the response was odd, not necessarily offensive.

But I do think a lot of us here tend to fall back on "the source" as you refer to it in interpreting posts on this site where we can't either see the poster or hear any inflection in their voice. When we do so I think we frequently make mistakes.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Thread Information