Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Why shouldn't a hetero man be attracted to another that has transitioned if the attraction is real. Obviously any attraction in that regard needs to be mutual, but are we not trying to reduce boundaries rather than set more of them?
    I didn’t say someone couldn’t or shouldn’t. I’m wondering if there’s a term for it.

It has literally nothing to do with boundaries. Everyone gets bent out of shape about whether someone is “he”, “she”, “none”, etc. that’s fine and I have no issues with it. Some people prefer to use specific terminology. For some people it’s actually very important. It’s their identify. Some people prefer to use specific terminology. Others don’t.

I think you’ve all seriously misinterpreted my intentions
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-13-2019, 07:05 PM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I didn’t say someone couldn’t or shouldn’t. I’m wondering if there’s a term for it.

It has literally nothing to do with boundaries. Everyone gets bent out of shape about whether someone is “he”, “she”, “none”, etc. that’s fine and I have no issues with it. Some people prefer to use specific terminology. For some people it’s actually very important. It’s their identify. Some people prefer to use specific terminology. Others don’t.

I agree. I understand some people want a label. I have a hard time when people get mad when I don't know what the right terminology is according to that person. I feel like intent is important too. If someone is a jerk and up a person's grill about using the labels requested that isn't Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

There is. I say I'm pansexual. There's also polysexual. It's nice to people like me because now we have terminology for this stuff. And in 1999, when I started figuring all this out... all we had was LGBT. But even in Muskegon High School, liberal as it was, I didn't dare say it.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          I have to admit I get thoroughly confused with all the various labels and struggle to keep up with what is OK, the latest nomenclature. Every time I read something new there is another term. I get the wanting to be recognized but I feel like I can't keep up and I am going to offend someone if I don't keep up. I vote with Slap Shot about less boundaries.

I've struggled with the label thing for as long as I can remember. (could this be because I was a non-conformist child of the 60s??) As a a young kid I was baffled when people thought labels were important. We were all God's children (I was very literal) why did we need them? I remember asking why anyone cared who loved who if they loved each other. It caused parental consternation- both of my parents looked at me like I was some kind of interesting bug. I couldn't figure out why the question freaked them out.

I think of people in terms of being human not who they are attracted to or what gender they identify with. The world is supposedly now enlightened, accepting people and relabeling everyone. I still struggle with labels. On some level I understand people feeling the need for recognition but it it seems to me that when people label each other it is equal opportunity for recognition and another way to segregate people out for seclusion.

As to the dudes being jerks - It would seem it isn't their gender identity or their sexual orientation that makes them tools. It is coz they are a jerk.
          Yeah, I mean, if I meet a woman, who is transgender (unknown to me), she is just a woman. Period. If I'm attracted or not attracted, doesn't matter. She's a woman. Then say, later on, she says she's transgender. To her, that label is important. To me, it doesn't matter because to me, she's simply a woman, which is what she wanted to be called in the first place. It's confusing and frustrating at times.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            Yeah, I mean, if I meet a woman, who is transgender (unknown to me), she is just a woman. Period. If I'm attracted or not attracted, doesn't matter. She's a woman. Then say, later on, she says she's transgender. To her, that label is important. To me, it doesn't matter because to me, she's simply a woman, which is what she wanted to be called in the first place. It's confusing and frustrating at times.
            Lately, I come out way after I've been introduced. The rarity has been with the board and team at Out On The Lakeshore. I needed to.

And yes, the labels are important to us. I just slide that into conversation... most reasonable people are like "oh, okay, cool." The only people who lose their **** are right wing religious types, like my aunt and the woman who was my best friend. Both those people told me I was going to hell for being anything other than a cisgender, heterosexual male.

Even though it can be confusing, roll with us.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Lately, I come out way after I've been introduced. The rarity has been with the board and team at Out On The Lakeshore. I needed to.

And yes, the labels are important to us. I just slide that into conversation... most reasonable people are like "oh, okay, cool." The only people who lose their **** are right wing religious types, like my aunt and the woman who was my best friend. Both those people told me I was going to hell for being anything other than a cisgender, heterosexual male.

Even though it can be confusing, roll with us.
              I'm tryin'. I think the biggest issue with me (and only me, this is my issue) is that I don't want to pizz people off, unintentionally. I may make a mistake, and I'm sure I will at some point, and I don't want to get beeched at, since I'm not a hater, and don't want to be accused as one.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                I'm tryin'. I think the biggest issue with me (and only me, this is my issue) is that I don't want to pizz people off, unintentionally. I may make a mistake, and I'm sure I will at some point, and I don't want to get beeched at, since I'm not a hater, and don't want to be accused as one.
                My rules for allies:

1. Listen to us.
                2. Speak in defense of us, but never speak for us or over us.
                3. It's not all about you.
                4. If you make a mistake, apologize, quickly correct, and move on. Don't drag your mistake on.
                5. Oh wow, you had a special Facebook PRIDE photo frame for the month of June. Please have the same enthusiasm the rest of the year.

So if you make a mistake, just apologize, correct yourself, and move on.

Comment

My rules for allies:

1. Listen to us.
                  4. If you make a mistake, apologize, quickly correct, and move on. Don't drag your mistake on.
                  5. Oh wow, you had a special Facebook PRIDE photo frame for the month of June. Please have the same enthusiasm the rest of the year.

1. I do.
                  2. I do and would never, in that order.
                  3. All about me is only in my potential mistakes. I can't speak for others' mistakes.
                  4. I only know about mistakes when they happen, and I am notified about it.
                  5. I do, and don't generally use special days for icons, statuses, etc on my personal page. (FTR, same with stuff like Valentine's Day: you should say "I love you" every day to your SO. Val's Day is BS).

Comment

My rules for allies:

1. Listen to us.

Right, but just as there are some those out there that cannot get with the times and be accepting of you, there are those don't accept a sincere apology when they've got something wrong. This is all new to me too, MT and I will always be respectful of these things. But I'm human, I don't know everything, and am learning as I go. Being open and patient to this learning process should be a two-way street.

dx - no offense man I was just making more of a general observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Why shouldn't a hetero man be attracted to another that has transitioned if the attraction is real. Obviously any attraction in that regard needs to be mutual, but are we not trying to reduce boundaries rather than set more of them?
                      Not all that transition get bottom surgery. You can see that could be a deal breaker for lots of hetero cis guys

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        dx - no offense man I was just making more of a general observation.
                        Fair enough. Understood.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Athlete's foot. Never realized how annoying that can be.

Comment

User: I need help. I'm receiving this error to the macro. [Generic macro error screenshot included.]
                            Me: Could you tell me which application you're running for the macro that's creating the error?
                            User: It's the macro I run. I received the error again.
                            Me: We support over 250 applications that run various macros. If you could please, which macro are you running and from which application? Also, does anybody else running the macro have these issues?

When you work for a company with more than a quarter-million people, you shouldn't expect everybody else to know who you are and what you do when your name is, more or less, John Smith or James Anderson or the like.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              User: I need help. I'm receiving this error to the macro. [Generic macro error screenshot included.]
                              Me: Could you tell me which application you're running for the macro that's creating the error?
                              User: It's the macro I run. I received the error again.
                              Me: We support over 250 applications that run various macros. If you could please, which macro are you running and from which application? Also, does anybody else running the macro have these issues?

When you work for a company with more than a quarter-million people, you shouldn't expect everybody else to know who you are and what you do when your name is, more or less, John Smith or James Anderson or the like.
                              Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on? 😁

Comment

AT&T, with their handling of DirecTV, needs to be broken up again ala 1982.

My mother needed to make a simple request of DirecTV: change of address from her old house to her new house. Taking equipment with her (because it's a DVR and she didnt want to lose her recorded shows). New house already had DirecTV previously installed so the dish was already there.

Apparently in an effort to migrate legacy DirecTV customers to their "new AT&T billing system," they try to persuade people to make them ditch their legacy equipment and packages while trying to upsell internet/cell phones.

Well, there is a reason DirecTV contractors in the UP of Michigan use Verizon for their work phones: because AT&T mobile doesn't work where they're trying to upsell these people.

Thankfully, she hung up on every CS that tried to upsell her garbage until one finally agreed to just roll a contractor out to her to take care of the problem.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X