Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Last time I called Verizon I was impressed how helpful the CSR was, and how she didn't try to sell me an unlimited data plan. Just activated my new phone like I asked.

Comment

We and the neighbors have had a limb tangled with bittersweet vine hanging off our lines by a pole for >1 month. National Grid has been out 6 times (3 times for us and 3 for the neighbors) to tell us they are putting in a ticket to get it addressed. It stretched the phone line and that finally went out last night. The Verizon guy was out last week to look at it and say National Grid has to fix it. We now have a new line for phone but still the branch and bittersweet are tangled on the lines. Frustrated doesn't describe it. Unless they deal with the branches we are losing the phone line again. Making yet another call tomorrow because they promised it would be addressed yesterday.

Comment

Call your state's utilities board/commission. That's a safety issue they could ding the utility for not correcting.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Call your state's utilities board/commission. That's a safety issue they could ding the utility for not correcting.
          This is excellent info! Thanks.

Comment

Cleaning and purging unnecessary items from my apartment. The cleaning and sanitizing my apartment isn't annoying; I rather enjoy it. Deciding what to keep, what to donate, and what to flat out toss... that's annoying.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Cleaning and purging unnecessary items from my apartment. The cleaning and sanitizing my apartment isn't annoying; I rather enjoy it. Deciding what to keep, what to donate, and what to flat out toss... that's annoying.
              If you haven't thought about it in a year (as far as clothing, trinkets, etc, that has no sentimental value), toss it/donate it. A couple years ago I went through my closet/drawers and ended up donating 3 boxes of T-shirts I hadn't worn in years.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                If you haven't thought about it in a year (as far as clothing, trinkets, etc, that has no sentimental value), toss it/donate it. A couple years ago I went through my closet/drawers and ended up donating 3 boxes of T-shirts I hadn't worn in years.
                I had some friends who moved from a 3000 sq ft home in MD to an 800 sq ft apartment a block from Hermosa Beach (LA). Their rule was that if they hadn’t touched it in 2 weeks, it went in the trash. You can’t buy that kind of catharsis.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Two weeks? What the ****? How is that even possible?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Two weeks? No. But a year? Definitely.

What I need to purge, donate, or upcycle are clothes for sure. Male clothes I haven't worn in forever have been sitting in a trash bag in my apartment. Those can be tossed. Dresses that I thought were cute at first but never wore, dresses that are too short or too tight, race shirts that I never wore to begin with, all in the donation pile. Someone told me I can also turn those into a fancy quilt or recycle them into shopping bags.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      I had some friends who moved from a 3000 sq ft home in MD to an 800 sq ft apartment a block from Hermosa Beach (LA). Their rule was that if they hadn’t touched it in 2 weeks, it went in the trash. You can’t buy that kind of catharsis.
                      Shoot- that would be all my winter clothes and stuff that I need for diff seasons. I believe in purging but I OK with having things I love around me. I also have the space- esp since we had a catastrophic flood last yr and had to throw a bunch of things out.

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      Two weeks? No. But a year? Definitely.

What I need to purge, donate, or upcycle are clothes for sure. Male clothes I haven't worn in forever have been sitting in a trash bag in my apartment. Those can be tossed. Dresses that I thought were cute at first but never wore, dresses that are too short or too tight, race shirts that I never wore to begin with, all in the donation pile. Someone told me I can also turn those into a fancy quilt or recycle them into shopping bags.
                      clothes = donate. Shelters are always looking for male clothes of all sizes. Around here they frequently put out a call for larger sizes.

Comment

Most of what I donated were Old Chicago shirts. I was getting 8-10 per year (prizes from mini-tours). Those I used for work shirts. Considering I've been doing tours for 20 some years...there were some that fell into that 2-3 week category. I didn't like the style/I have enough shirts/etc. Rare, but possible
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Job hunting blows. Thankfully I still have my current job, so it's not an immediate, must take anything situation, but the whole process is just soul draining for someone like me who hates sales yet understands this is all about selling yourself.

Current job kept me by giving me 2 promotions in as many years with substantial pay increases. Nevertheless, I've hit the point where I literally dread going to work most days, so it's time to look elsewhere. Which sucks because the substantive work is in my wheelhouse and the field as a whole is interesting. Trying to apply to one job a day til all the current openings have been hit, then staying on top of the postings going forward from there.

Am trying to resist going to a firm. But we'll see how long that lasts...

Comment

Job hunting blows. Thankfully I still have my current job, so it's not an immediate, must take anything situation, but the whole process is just soul draining for someone like me who hates sales yet understands this is all about selling yourself.

Current job kept me by giving me 2 promotions in as many years with substantial pay increases. Nevertheless, I've hit the point where I literally dread going to work most days, so it's time to look elsewhere. Which sucks because the substantive work is in my wheelhouse and the field as a whole is interesting. Trying to apply to one job a day til all the current openings have been hit, then staying on top of the postings going forward from there.

I've been there. Came *thisclose* to relocating to CO and starting fresh a few years back. Luckily, the guy who had my job switched to nights, and I got my current position. And I dare say it's the most perfect position for me. I don't even want to move up in the company. I'm that happy with this position.

Comment

Beat wishes and good luck. I know what you’re going through. My previous job was such a bad environment I actually worried for my own mental health. Glad you have some options.

Are you looking at staying in Iowa?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Beat wishes and good luck. I know what you’re going through. My previous job was such a bad environment I actually worried for my own mental health. Glad you have some options.

Are you looking at staying in Iowa?
                                That is where I was at.

Comment

Working...
                                X