Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

it was pointed out that a pro volleyball league died 30 years ago and that there is a pro softball league that has been on life support for 20 years, was this supposed to make the hockey players feel good about their prospects?

now imagine that there is a father somewhere with some sons that have been trying to become celebrities but just haven't made it, they only have a few hundred followers and earn a couple grand a year so they turn to the Kardassians for help

do the Kardassians have an obligation to help fund them and market them?

I'm sure the sons would love it if they did, beats going to work and getting a real job.

I've been wondering, is it a coincidence that the rug was pulled out of the Canadian league after failing to win gold?
    Last edited by pokechecker; 05-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    (linked from the StarTribune)

"Amanda Kessel made $8,000 for the Metropolitan Riveters of the National Women’s Hockey League this season. Her brother, Phil, is making $8 million per season for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Sure, it’s an apples-to-oranges comparison, given the average home attendance (721 vs. 18,565) and length of regular season (16 games vs. 82), but it's interesting nonetheless."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...-ice-1.5120096
    I have never owned a sports jersey of any kind, however, If I had to have one, I’d value Amanda’s name and number on my back over Phil’s, but when you add the team on the front you’d have to pay me to wear the Riveter’s, whereas I can’t think of a pro hockey team I’d rather have on the front than the Pens.

So to quote a famous coach: “it’s not the name on the back, it’s the name on the front”.

Amanda could only be playing for the love of the game.

Or to quote a famous "manager": "I should have been a farmer." Wilford Brimley as Pop Fisher
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

National Women's Hockey League teeters amid boycott

Whitecaps founder Jack Brodt says NWHL "doesn't look good right now."
    https://www.startribune.com/national-...ott/509671392/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I'm wondering whether the players know something is brewing. Like the old lawyer advice -- never ask a witness on the stand a question during a trial you don't know the answer to.

Why would the players boycott the NWHL and say they have no desire to go back to that league if they don't know something else is on the horizon? That's like asking a question they don't know the answer to. As someone said earlier in this thread -- what's their endgame? I'm wondering if they know the endgame has already been setup for them. They just needed to make this move to help get it there, cause the NWHL to fold, and then have that endgame take place. The players come out looking like strong women standing up for what they believe in, and the new powers (NHL?) don't look like the bad guys putting a league out of business.

(And could it be the Pegula's giving up ownership of the Beauts is also a calculated move? Why hold onto a franchise if you know the league is going under, when you're going to get a new franchise with the new league?)
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 05-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    it was pointed out that a pro volleyball league died 30 years ago
    Women's pro beach volleyball is going strong. It exists on an equal footing with the men's game.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I'm wondering whether the players know something is brewing. Like the old lawyer advice -- never ask a witness on the stand a question during a trial you don't know the answer to.

Why would the players boycott the NWHL and say they have no desire to go back to that league if they don't know something else is on the horizon? That's like asking a question they don't know the answer to. As someone said earlier in this thread -- what's their endgame? I'm wondering if they know the endgame has already been setup for them. They just needed to make this move to help get it there, cause the NWHL to fold, and then have that endgame take place. The players come out looking like strong women standing up for what they believe in, and the new powers (NHL?) don't look like the bad guys putting a league out of business.

(And could it be the Pegula's giving up ownership of the Beauts is also a calculated move? Why hold onto a franchise if you know the league is going under, when you're going to get a new franchise with the new league?)

Entirely possible (and maybe even likely). Having said that, there's isn't much risk for the 200 players that are boycotting the NWHL. The financial impact to them is minimal and because they are the TOP players, the chance of them not playing in any new or revised league is also minimal.
    The more interesting development for me is the Pegula's giving up ownership of the Beauts. That seems to have the NHL's fingerprints all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

There have been rumors of a secret plan for an NHL-backed women's league that is contingent upon both the CWHL and NWHL folding. Maybe enough players have bought into the rumor or, as you suggest, have confirmed that plan with the league somehow (maybe through Kendall Coyne who has been doing work with the league)?
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Women's pro beach volleyball is going strong.
    there is the answer, beach hockey

there is the answer, beach hockey
    Prime Sports used to televise roller hockey.

post delete
    Last edited by Arafel; 05-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

I think the wrong word has been used regarding this situation. Instead if saying this is a boycott we should be saying this is a mutiny. That's much more fitting. There's no way they haven't had some sort of discussion with the NHL before they decided to do this. Don't get me wrong, I think that's their best bet for a more secure future for professional women's hockey. I just hope Dani isn't able to fill the void and continue operating the NWHL with lesser players that just want to play and call themselves professional players in spite of low pay, etc.

If ANY of the players in the Canadian league are professional, then Wisconsin will have to return its 2019 championship and UMD will have to vacate nearly all games over a 4 year period.

Despite some angst and anger towards the NWHL you have to admit Rylan gave these women an opportunity when nobody else would or did. She also gave dozens of players an opportunity when Team USA and Canada would not.

If ANY of the players in the Canadian league are professional, then Wisconsin will have to return its 2019 championship and UMD will have to vacate nearly all games over a 4 year period.

Despite some angst and anger towards the NWHL you have to admit Rylan gave these women an opportunity when nobody else would or did. She also gave dozens of players an opportunity when Team USA and Canada would not.
    Find me a defibrillator quick! A positive post?!?! I'm in shock! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Find me a defibrillator quick! A positive post?!?! I'm in shock! Lol.
    I figured someone just hijacked his account...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Questions on the NWHL? Rachel Blount has the answers

https://www.startribune.com/questions...ers/509690012/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

The Devils have ended their partnership with the NWHL's Metropolitan Riveters. This comes after the Pegulas severed ties with the Buffalo Beauts. The Riveters will need a third different home rink if there is going to be a 19-20 NWHL season.

This seems like a concerted effort by the NHL to force the league to fold.

Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    The Devils have ended their partnership with the NWHL's Metropolitan Riveters. This comes after the Pegulas severed ties with the Buffalo Beauts. The Riveters will need a third different home rink if there is going to be a 19-20 NWHL season.

This seems like a concerted effort by the NHL to force the league to fold.

I assure you that either your brains or your signature will be on this paper in the next 5 minutes.

. . . Bettman answered, “We’d have a conversation and see what she has in mind.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/23/s...ns-hockey.html

This bit:

Last year, while the television audience was up, the W.N.B.A. teams’ attendance fell 12 percent to 6,769 fans per game, on average.
    is disingenuous. The reason that the WNBA's average attendance took a big hit last year is because the New York Liberty were pushed out of Madison Square Garden, where they had been drawing about 10,000 fans a game, to a 5,000 seat arena in White Plains, 20 miles outside the city and away from their fan base. Like many other things that New York Knicks fans would be happy to tell you about, James Dolan ****s up everything he touches, and the Liberty is no exception. The team has since been sold to the principle owner of the Brooklyn Nets principle owner. They're still in White Plains this year, but hopefully that will change going forward.

Thread Information