• Show
Clear All

Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Players demand say in women’s hockey future after CWHL folds
    https://apnews.com/91fbc9d4a07740a3b47260cebc7127a9
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm frustrated with the NHL. You can't say that you want to be involved, but that you "don’t believe in their models,” and that it's important to start with a clean slate, and stop right there. If you really want to be involved with those caveats, and you're the one with the money and clout, then you need to actually propose something and get involved. Dropping these bombs and then backing away is destructive to the whole process. It kneecaps the existing league(s) with uncertainty about their future if the NHL does step in, while also doing nothing to clear them out of the way if the only way forward is a brand new, NHL-backed league.

It suggests that Gary Bettman doesn't actually want the NHL to be involved with women's hockey at all, but also doesn't want the PR problem of being forthright. So he spins a line of bull**** to avoid damage to his own league while wrecking everyone else's. Then again, anyone who expects Bettman to be useful on any front is living in a dream world.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        I'm frustrated with the NHL. You can't say that you want to be involved, but that you "don’t believe in their models,” and that it's important to start with a clean slate, and stop right there. If you really want to be involved with those caveats, and you're the one with the money and clout, then you need to actually propose something and get involved. Dropping these bombs and then backing away is destructive to the whole process. It kneecaps the existing league(s) with uncertainty about their future if the NHL does step in, while also doing nothing to clear them out of the way if the only way forward is a brand new, NHL-backed league.

It suggests that Gary Bettman doesn't actually want the NHL to be involved with women's hockey at all, but also doesn't want the PR problem of being forthright. So he spins a line of bull**** to avoid damage to his own league while wrecking everyone else's. Then again, anyone who expects Bettman to be useful on any front is living in a dream world.
        Bettman is doing exactly what the owners want him to do. Why do you think he’s kept his job for so long? Whether you like it or not.

So the real criticism should be directed at the owners.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Bettman is doing exactly what the owners want him to do. Why do you think he’s kept his job for so long? Whether you like it or not.

So the real criticism should be directed at the owners.
          Yes, this is the fundamental reason why anyone who expects Bettman to be useful on any front is living in a dream world.

Comment

Yes, this is the fundamental reason why anyone who expects Bettman to be useful on any front is living in a dream world.
            Congratulations, admitting your problem is the first step to recovery. It’s too bad other lefties couldn’t realize their disassociation with reality.

BTW, why have you been so mad lately? Are you unemployed again?

The NHL owners probably want to sit on the sidelines until they see what happens with the lawsuit with the female soccer players and the potential lawsuit with WNBA players. I know I would.
            Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. The NBA lost money hand over fist in the beginning, now they want their return on investment, but all it takes is one activist judge and the NBA could be on the hook for millions.

Maybe one of you lefties could explain why it the responsibility of men to fund, organize and run a league for women. If they did, no doubt you'd be complaining the league hierarchy and coaches aren't at least 50% women. Some of you would argue they should all be women.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              Congratulations, admitting your problem is the first step to recovery. It’s too bad other lefties couldn’t realize their disassociation with reality.

BTW, why have you been so mad lately? Are you unemployed again?

The NHL owners probably want to sit on the sidelines until they see what happens with the lawsuit with the female soccer players and the potential lawsuit with WNBA players. I know I would.
              Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. The NBA lost money hand over fist in the beginning, now they want their return on investment, but all it takes is one activist judge and the NBA could be on the hook for millions.

Maybe one of you lefties could explain why it the responsibility of men to fund, organize and run a league for women. If they did, no doubt you'd be complaining the league hierarchy and coaches aren't at least 50% women. Some of you would argue they should all be women.
              The words are all there, but it just doesn't feel like you're giving it your all these days. It's bad enough to be a loathsome troll, but a loathsome troll who's just mailing it in has no purpose in life.

Comment

The words are all there, but it just doesn't feel like you're giving it your all these days. It's bad enough to be a loathsome troll, but a loathsome troll who's just mailing it in has no purpose in life.

BTW, why have you been so mad lately?

Comment

The message of "shut down your only potential competitor to us and we'll take care of you" sounds like a huge con. If the NHL believes they have a business model that's better for everyone like they claim, they should start it and if it is indeed better they will get the best players and the NWHL won't be a problem. The players and NWHL should not just grant the NHL a monopoly on faith they'll do the right thing.

Comment

Of course a great leader will convince his followers to change course for the betterment of his company. I don't expect Bettman to do that...
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      The message of "shut down your only potential competitor to us and we'll take care of you" sounds like a huge con. If the NHL believes they have a business model that's better for everyone like they claim, they should start it and if it is indeed better they will get the best players and the NWHL won't be a problem. The players and NWHL should not just grant the NHL a monopoly on faith they'll do the right thing.
                      Which is what the NBA did. Remember, there were two women pro BB leagues. The WNBA won out because they had the better model and resources backing it. The NBA was not afraid to jump into a fight, having the confidence they would win.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

it's probably never crossed the owners minds that putting 2,000 people in a 15,000 capacity stadium isn't likely to make money.

look at how their first attempts to drum up interest went
                        for example:
                        instead of people (who likely have never seen them compete) witnessing the skills contest thinking "man, she sure can fly, I'm going to have to check out one of their games"
                        instead it grew into a fiasco about whether she had won or not

Comment

it's probably never crossed the owners minds that putting 2,000 people in a 15,000 capacity stadium isn't likely to make money.

look at how their first attempts to drum up interest went
                          for example:
                          instead of people (who likely have never seen them compete) witnessing the skills contest thinking "man, she sure can fly, I'm going to have to check out one of their games"
                          instead it grew into a fiasco about whether she had won or not
                          True. Bettman is probably hoping that the NWHL survives so he can keep saying that he doesn’t like the model. That is costing the NHL what, 50k, 100k? The alternative might be a lot more expensive for the NHL.

Comment

The skepticism of the NHL is valid for sure, but the women don’t have great options and I can see why they want to find out if he’s bluffing or not.

With the CW ceasing on May 1, I expect there will be more news in the next couple weeks.

The CW ceasing is painful but also creates opportunity for positive change, for conversations about media support and corporate support and the need for a continued presence of both.

But it is very much on us women’s hockey players to take a step forward in the amount of support we give to women’s hockey ourselves. It’s time to build that culture, women’s/girls hockey players are almost 200,000 strong in North America, we should be supporting each other better than we are doing now. We are worth it, and will only benefit from supporting the game, to the extent we are able to do so. Women have always supported women, but it’s time to do more.

Comment

https://www.gofundme.com/preserving-...hockey-history

https://www.32auctions.com/cwhl

CWHL is auctioning their assets. Some incredible memorabilia here. 2 trusted supporters of the CW have set up a go fund me and plan to buy some items and display them some way. Sharing in case any supporters or players here might wish to contribute.

I should add the goal of the auction is to pay creditors obviously, it’s required, the CW is not being malicious to their players here. My understanding is the players have received their base pay but not bonuses, and the hope is to pay the players bonuses if possible. What a crap situation.
                              Last edited by Lindsay; 04-27-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I am a fairly new convert to women's pro hockey, having only seen a game in late-February in Newark. Aside from the obvious governance and financial issues the sport is battling through, one thing I was curious about is player movement/rights. I know that the players have other careers, with the national team members being paid by USA Hockey. I also saw that the NWHL had a draft this spring. So, do teams retain rights to a player for a certain number of years? Do players sign multi-year contracts? Or, are players on one year free agent contracts? Or, how does that all work?

Comment

Working...
                                X