Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NWHL Announcement Event On Tuesday In Saint Paul

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    If the Whitecaps are joining the NWHL (and it's pretty obvious that's what the announcement is going to be), travel budgets are going to get interesting, as they will have to fly to all their away games in the northeast.
    I'd guess that the Whitecaps will fly east and play four games in six days or something like that before returning home. When one of the other teams goes to Minnesota, it will play all of its away games versus the Whitecaps on that trip. The flights can at least be minimized if the league constructs a schedule designed to limit them, just like the NCAA makes that the #1 priority in building its tournament. And much as we all hate the quarters that the NCAA selects, if that is what it takes to keep the sport from going the way of North Dakota, then I guess it is a flaw that we have to tolerate.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/s...rer_id=2739439

Link above states NWHL eventually wants all its teams aligned with NHL teams, and one league. Everything about today is exciting.... jealous of you Minnesotans with all this hockey to watch.

I suspect the China inclusion in CWHL complicates a merger at this time. I forget if there was a time limit on the China inclusion in the CW but if so, a merger might be more likely at the conclusion of that endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        It doesn't make financial sense unless it is subsidized by the NHL
        My guess is NWHL is making a bet that Minnesota Wild eventually buys the team, or does a partnership that results in essentially what you describe above.

Comment

More information here: http://www.startribune.com/professio...eam/482688271/

(best to ignore the readers' comments!)
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/s...nwhl-cwhl.html

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
              What the American and Canadian players who are talking about getting together should do is find a way to use their influence to get the actual stakeholders in a room for negotiations. Reading the different things that have been written on #OneLeague, it seems the prevailing issue is the leadership of both leagues is too fearful of seeing their influence wane. I think the best thing they can do is to split the baby in that regard: use an entirely new brand for the unified league and keep both commissioners in leadership roles. Maybe split into a Northern and Southern conference and have Dani Rylan be in charge of the Southern and Brenda Andress head the Northern.

At least this article goes more in on Bettman's attempt to be Switzerland. If he was half the visionary that David Stern was, he'd be the one getting the stakeholders of the two leagues to the bargaining table.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                What the American and Canadian players who are talking about getting together should do is find a way to use their influence to get the actual stakeholders in a room for negotiations.
                Some of us thought the NWHL was going nowhere when it first started. If you could get more people in a phone booth than typically showed up at Conte, Matthews, Walter Brown and Bright combined, what’s the point of the Pride? And those names! Riveters? Beauts?? Whale??? GO WHALE! ???? Patronizing, sexist or just plain inept, they seemed like clueless throwbacks to the days of “You’ve come a long way, Baby!” But the determination that led to the convergence of the boycott and Olympic gold was stunning. And why shouldn’t it be? This is women’s hockey, after all. This will happen in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                  I wholeheartedly agree with you that #OneLeague is the way forward. It would work great for the existing clubs, plus Bettman has implied that he's hoping to have the CWHL-NWHL issue resolve itself before the NHL gets involved with women's hockey the way the NBA went in for the WNBA.

They need to merge and fill out some more markets. Pittsburgh, DC, Chicago and Detroit come to mind.
                  Pitt and DC? Chicago and Detroit a little better, but none are hotbeds of college hockey, much less the women's game.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                    Pitt and DC? Chicago and Detroit a little better, but none are hotbeds of college hockey, much less the women's game.
                    That's why I included Madison in my list and of course the Twin Cities is a no-brainer. Plenty of good girls U19 hockey support in the Detroit and Chicago areas. That support would translate over to any professional women's hockey franchise. I think we all agree that the absence of D1 college hockey in Michigan is a travesty.
                    Last edited by shelfit; 05-16-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                      Pittsburgh has a good presence in the women’s game. It has Robert Morris, there’s the Penguins Elite girls program, and Olympian Brianne McLaughlin is kind of an ambassador for women’s hockey in the area, running a girls hockey camp.

Comes down to financial issues in the end and travel as Shelfit and others have stated, but I think Pittsburgh is a reasonable expansion option.

DC is more of a growth market, but it has geography going for it, plus a ton of jobs which is also a consideration for players. I think a city without a college team, but having an appetite for hockey, could be a well supported market.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Pittsburgh has a good presence in the women’s game. It has Robert Morris, there’s the Penguins Elite girls program, and Olympian Brianne McLaughlin is kind of an ambassador for women’s hockey in the area, running a girls hockey camp.

Comes down to financial issues in the end and travel as Shelfit and others have stated, but I think Pittsburgh is a reasonable expansion option.

DC is more of a growth market, but it has geography going for it, plus a ton of jobs which is also a consideration for players. I think a city without a college team, but having an appetite for hockey, could be a well supported market.
                        If one of the goals is to have a pro league that is at least as strong as an average D1 college team, than I'm not so sure about expansion to areas without a player pool.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                          If one of the goals is to have a pro league that is at least as strong as an average D1 college team, than I'm not so sure about expansion to areas without a player pool.
                          Yeah, that’s a good point. I was thinking that if it’s a desirable enough city that players would move to an NW locale, within reason.

Comment

According to this article The Wild had already been providing financial assistance to the Whitecaps. I would think that going forward, given the new NWHL affiliation, the Wild's support will very likely continue and perhaps become even more extensive.

http://therunnersports.com/wild-welc...ssional-ranks/

Comment

It's official, the Whitecaps will be playing their 8 home games at the TRIA Rink, the Minnesota Wild's practice facility in downtown St. Paul.

http://www.startribune.com/whitecaps...ink/486638491/

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                It's official, the Whitecaps will be playing their 8 home games at the TRIA Rink, the Minnesota Wild's practice facility in downtown St. Paul.

http://www.startribune.com/whitecaps...ink/486638491/
                                Would love to go see this new rink. My guess is they will practice elsewhere though.

Comment

Working...
                                X